Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 11:18 AM

83 posts, read 67,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NABILBB View Post
I was not worried about that much because I don't eat much to begin with. It is rare that I eat lunch for example. However, I don't seem to be able to loose a layer of fat on my belly
It all depends on what you are eating. Are you eating real food or food products?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2017, 09:01 PM

121 posts, read 136,482 times
I hear you all.... Thanks
I just find cardio specially treadmill to be boring
but I will try to increase it

Old 12-02-2017, 02:29 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NABILBB View Post
I hear you all.... Thanks
I just find cardio specially treadmill to be boring
but I will try to increase it
there are ways to burn calories instead of a boring treadmill

https://www.health.harvard.edu/diet-...ine-activities

Old 12-04-2017, 04:58 AM

11 posts, read 7,136 times
Default totally agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
You forgot the most important part - eat fewer calories. You can exercise all day long but if you eat more calories than you burn you will not lose an ounce. Diet is 90% of the equation. Assuming your diet is in order then when you are exercising make sure your heart rate is elevated for an extended period of time during cardio. HIIT and Tabata will torch calories. And resistance training is essential. Make sure you challenge yourself each time you go to the gym.
yep this happened to me too, I forgot about diet.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:29 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
For weight/fat loss I (42 year old female):

ate 1400-1600 calories most days of the week (I ate 1400 when I got leaner. started out at 1900 cals per day)
40 minutes cardio/40 minutes weight lifting four days per week

Lost 70 lbs in around 9-10 months, belly fat was reduced along with all of the fat elsewhere.

Eating only two meals doesn't mean that you "don't eat too much". Those two meals can easily blow your caloric budget.

Cardio, as much as I hate it, is needed to burn fat. Weight training helps firm things up and definitely gives you that "awesome look" (i.e. strength training made me look toned vs. squishy). 10 minutes is basically a warmup.

You may need to add another workout day in there just to kickstart things. At the MINIMUM I work out three days.

Old 12-06-2017, 01:38 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,798,945 times
10 minutes of cardio isn't cardio, that's just a warmup. It is hard to focus on both if you want to lose weight the fact is you have to focus on cardio more than lifting weights. I see a lot of guys really into lifting weights that aren't in very good shape honestly.

Old 12-06-2017, 04:34 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
10 minutes of cardio isn't cardio, that's just a warmup. It is hard to focus on both if you want to lose weight the fact is you have to focus on cardio more than lifting weights. I see a lot of guys really into lifting weights that aren't in very good shape honestly.
Not necessarily. In fact you can torch a lot more calories with resistance training and you get the benefit of building muscles which well help burn more calories. The key is to move through moves fast enough to be at a decent heart rate. Mixing cardio with resistance is the best of both worlds. But you are right, 10 minutes of cardio is not going to accomplish much of anything.

Old 12-06-2017, 05:05 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
I wouldn't *focus* on cardio more than weights either. I do both for best results. By lifting, I have noticeable muscle definition that imo looks better than just plain ol flesh. Being in shape is an amalgamation of both your cardiovascular system as well as musculoskeletal..... no different than a distance runner barely picking up 20 lbs, they're not balanced

Old 12-06-2017, 06:35 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,798,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I wouldn't *focus* on cardio more than weights either. I do both for best results. By lifting, I have noticeable muscle definition that imo looks better than just plain ol flesh. Being in shape is an amalgamation of both your cardiovascular system as well as musculoskeletal..... no different than a distance runner barely picking up 20 lbs, they're not balanced
I say focus because most people don't have the time to do both. If you're weak and out of shape both I just say it's better to get into shape cardio wise first. and making lifting secondary and/or a temporary side project.

Lifting is much much easier if you're already in shape cardio wise because you don't have to rest as much in between sets.

If you have the time and can go to the gym twice a day or something then yeah you can hit both really hard provided you have the energy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Not necessarily. In fact you can torch a lot more calories with resistance training and you get the benefit of building muscles which well help burn more calories. The key is to move through moves fast enough to be at a decent heart rate. Mixing cardio with resistance is the best of both worlds. But you are right, 10 minutes of cardio is not going to accomplish much of anything.
I agree but most guys that lift don't do that. They do one set and talk to their buddies for 5 minutes, I know you've seen it.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:01 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I say focus because most people don't have the time to do both. If you're weak and out of shape both I just say it's better to get into shape cardio wise first. and making lifting secondary and/or a temporary side project.

Lifting is much much easier if you're already in shape cardio wise because you don't have to rest as much in between sets.

If you have the time and can go to the gym twice a day or something then yeah you can hit both really hard provided you have the energy.

I agree but most guys that lift don't do that. They do one set and talk to their buddies for 5 minutes, I know you've seen it.
Yes, of course. Men and some women. But they are not serious about anything except socializing. Plenty of men and women go to the gym to get a job done.

As far as time, do cardio one day and do weights the next. Or do 20 cardio and 20 of lifting. Its better to lift before cardio. But that is a personal choice. Or to really get the best of both worlds find some steps outside and run them 10 - 20 times. You can run up, do a few push ups and then run back down. Its actually quite easy to combine cardio and resistance. Get a jump rope and jump for a minute then do squats, repeat. These types of workouts are extremely effective in a very short amount of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness