Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 08:48 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,648,872 times

Advertisements

The worst part is once you hit 27 or around 30 you start losing muscle mass. All I see is people and especially older people do cardio. Do some weights to start getting some of the muscle mass you are losing back, that will help a lot more then 20 to 30 minutes walking at 2.6 on the treadmill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 06:04 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,978,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Wrong.
Whoa, what a profound and insightful comment... Which particular part do you take issue with, because really if you take issue with any of it you are wrong.
Quote:
Research shows that it doesn’t take much of a hormonal upheaval for your body to start packing on the pounds, especially around your midsection. Something as simple as eating carbs for breakfast or getting too little sleep can create an imbalance.
https://www.prevention.com/weight-lo...ly-fat/slide/1
Quote:
Frequent consumption of white sugar and white bread will elevate glucose, perhaps increasing your risk of diabetes. Thus, your body either produces insufficient insulin or is no longer able to utilize it as efficiently.
https://www.livestrong.com/article/4...o-to-the-body/
https://www.app.com/story/life/welln...nic/100176020/
Burn Fat Not Sugar: Diet And Exercise 2.0
Quote:
When you exercise, you use muscle. This helps build muscle mass, and muscle tissue burns more calories -- even when you're at rest -- than body fat. According to Wharton, 10 pounds of muscle would burn 50 calories in a day spent at rest, while 10 pounds of fat would burn 20 calories.
https://www.webmd.com/diet/obesity/f...nd-fight-fat#1

But really to the OP the proof is in the pudding. You can go low carb/no carb, issue a fatwa against sugar, and clean up your diet and see for yourself. Conversely you can eat the S.A.D. (standard American diet) and beat your head against the wall trying to lose weight.

Old 01-31-2018, 08:25 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
Whoa, what a profound and insightful comment... Which particular part do you take issue with, because really if you take issue with any of it you are wrong.

https://www.prevention.com/weight-lo...ly-fat/slide/1

https://www.livestrong.com/article/4...o-to-the-body/
https://www.app.com/story/life/welln...nic/100176020/
Burn Fat Not Sugar: Diet And Exercise 2.0

https://www.webmd.com/diet/obesity/f...nd-fight-fat#1

But really to the OP the proof is in the pudding. You can go low carb/no carb, issue a fatwa against sugar, and clean up your diet and see for yourself. Conversely you can eat the S.A.D. (standard American diet) and beat your head against the wall trying to lose weight.
All of that insulin stuff aside, more than half my diet is carb based. I eat sugar daily, including the evil white sugar. I've never followed keto and never will. I've lost 70+ pounds and I'm 42 years old.

I don't know what this "Standard American Diet" is, but I practice calorie management. I eat what I like and I don't like eating largely fatty meats, cheese, eggs and stuff day in and day out and trying to stay in a ketogenic state. I'll stick with my 1 lb per week loss if it means that I enjoy what I'm eating.

I combine eating less with exercise to burn. Eventually your glucose stores deplete and your body turns to fat, so one doesn't have to be in "fat burning mode" to have their fat stores burned.

Old 02-07-2018, 02:19 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
All of that insulin stuff aside, more than half my diet is carb based. I eat sugar daily, including the evil white sugar. I've never followed keto and never will. I've lost 70+ pounds and I'm 42 years old.

I don't know what this "Standard American Diet" is, but I practice calorie management. I eat what I like and I don't like eating largely fatty meats, cheese, eggs and stuff day in and day out and trying to stay in a ketogenic state. I'll stick with my 1 lb per week loss if it means that I enjoy what I'm eating.

I combine eating less with exercise to burn. Eventually your glucose stores deplete and your body turns to fat, so one doesn't have to be in "fat burning mode" to have their fat stores burned.

I've never heard anyone say that Keto is the only way to lose fat. The argument is that you have to fight hunger less, and it's more likely to preserve muscle mass.

I stop missing carbs after a month of low carb eating. I'm probably eating 60-80 carbs per day, so not pure keto, but most of my diet is meat and vegetables. I started eating a piece of pizza the other day, and immediately stopped..because I realized it didn't really taste that good to me anymore. I ate everything at a superbowl party with no limitations, and drank beer, and felt crummy the next day.

I'm down 13 pounds since New Years. I was already relatively fit, but now I'm approaching under 12% body fat. I have all these women who I work with on weight watchers and meta fast and whatever else program that costs a ton of money. They rarely last a month on them. Low carb diets have no intrinsic extra costs and are very simple to follow, and they work. Pair them with intermittent fasting and weight loss is not that difficult. The first week is tough. Have some will power and results come quick.

Everyone has their own anecdotal experience of course. I'd miss eggs or flavorful fatty meat more than rice and sugar, any day.

Old 02-12-2018, 01:00 AM

797 posts, read 752,105 times
HIIT fasted,
small calorie deficit.

Old 02-12-2018, 11:11 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I've never heard anyone say that Keto is the only way to lose fat. The argument is that you have to fight hunger less, and it's more likely to preserve muscle mass.

I stop missing carbs after a month of low carb eating. I'm probably eating 60-80 carbs per day, so not pure keto, but most of my diet is meat and vegetables. I started eating a piece of pizza the other day, and immediately stopped..because I realized it didn't really taste that good to me anymore. I ate everything at a superbowl party with no limitations, and drank beer, and felt crummy the next day.

I'm down 13 pounds since New Years. I was already relatively fit, but now I'm approaching under 12% body fat. I have all these women who I work with on weight watchers and meta fast and whatever else program that costs a ton of money. They rarely last a month on them. Low carb diets have no intrinsic extra costs and are very simple to follow, and they work. Pair them with intermittent fasting and weight loss is not that difficult. The first week is tough. Have some will power and results come quick.

Everyone has their own anecdotal experience of course. I'd miss eggs or flavorful fatty meat more than rice and sugar, any day.
I don't particularly care for a nonstop diet of eggs and meat whether I'd get hungry less or not. Low carb is not everyone's cup of tea and it has nothing really to do with willpower. As for cost, well my "diet" really only cost the price of a gym membership, because all I did was learn portion control. I vowed to never pay for a dieting program again ever. I'm happy with my results. Lifting helped spare any muscle loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness