Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 03:55 PM

13,437 posts, read 15,367,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Sucks View Post
You're right, but the ones who didn't agree with me also made up excuses and imagined different scenarios for her (while probably wouldn't be so forgiving if I was the overweight instructor) and seemed to ignore the fact that at least three times I mentioned that the teacher's own form and stamina are suffering.
I didn't make up excuses. I just found it difficult to believe some of what you were saying. Someone who has a stomach that large would be bigger than 50 lbs overweight. Also, I just stated that overweight people could competently teach strength classes.

BTW, nope, not overweight last time I checked I spend time on the computer only when I'm biding time, decompressing, whatever. no real rhyme or reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 03:59 PM

712 posts, read 549,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I didn't make up excuses. I just found it difficult to believe some of what you were saying. Someone who has a stomach that large would be bigger than 50 lbs overweight. Also, I just stated that overweight people could competently teach strength classes.

50 pounds is just a guess. I didn't mean to imply she looks 9 months pregnant - she has gained weight all over. Strength training (and these are light weights) is only half of it. She's not straightening her legs when she should, not squatting as deep as she used to, etc.

Old 02-08-2018, 04:04 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,281,376 times
Quote:
I won't tell anyone you said that.
See, don't you feel better now?

AND, if you're this unhappy with the replies that you've received (here) AND you're still unhappy with the class...then why haven't you gone to the 'gym management' and voiced your concerns and your dissatisfaction with this overweight instructor concerning her inability to effectively demonstrate the exercises with proper form and ability, all the while huffing and puffing no less.

You might add that people sign up and never return so it might just be kinder for management to let her go

THEN you can come back here and tell us that they now have an instructor who is excellent and it's all you can do to keep up with her.

There, problem solved.

Old 02-08-2018, 04:05 PM

29,648 posts, read 34,145,366 times
Quote:
50 pounds is just a guess. I didn't mean to imply she looks 9 months pregnant - she has gained weight all over. Strength training (and these are light weights) is only half of it. She's not straightening her legs when she should, not squatting as deep as she used to, etc.
Could she possibly seen as inspirational for other people who are heavy and want to get fit? You sound like you're looking to criticize from the lens of someone who's already got a gym body, but heavier people can and do work out, even with modified form (which isn't necessarily bad form.)

Old 02-08-2018, 04:25 PM

4,531 posts, read 5,335,566 times
Quote:
Would you be less inclined to take classes with an exercise leader who has put on about 50 pounds over the past five years, not due to a medical issue, just the old 'got married and gained weight'?
Quote:
The instructor got married about eight years and started putting on weight a few years later. She has probably put on 30 of those 50 pounds in the last two years. In most cases, she's the heaviest person in the room and it just doesn't look good.
Wow. Well I guess we all have your answer since you've been training with this woman for a LEAST 8 years.

I've stayed out of this thread because I can see it either way. I totally wouldnt mind an "overweight exercise instructor" if she's like leading a group class like spinning, yoga, or Peleton for a big box or corporate type gym. But I would NEVER pay directly to her for personal training or something similar.

Old 02-08-2018, 06:15 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,281,376 times
Quote:
We work out with hand weights; do planks; squats; lunges; crunches, stuff like that. The extra weight is affecting her form; balance, and stamina. It's just not a good look to see a tubby exercise leader. Women who are in better shape than her show up once, and then don't return.
See, this comment is the initial 'poison' of your thread and perhaps unconsciously put various posters in a position to find some...any redeeming quality for this instructor. YOU, set yourself up with your disrespectful commentary from the get-go.

Quote:
There is no "reputation".
Well, thanks to you, she's got one now.

Quote:
No, she admits she is eating too much.
Really, who did she admit this to? Did she say why she's eating too much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
Who cares? She's probably in better shape than anyone in the room - if she can do the same routine you all are doing, then what's the beef?

Only an idiot would base their decision on who should be instructing a fitness class on whether or not they look "attractive", whatever "attractive" even means. If you're that shallow, feel free to shove off. Commenting on something that is absolutely none of your business is just rude.

I have an actual metabolic disorder that makes it ridiculously hard for me to maintain "normal" weight. As I aged and could no longer run - not jog, RUN - 5 days a week and had to switch to cycling, I put on about 40 lbs. I was still WAY more fit than much younger, thinner women. Fitness is not necessarily tied to weight. Don't be so judgmental.
She's been given perfectly polite and empathetic as well as terse advice to find a 'better' instructor...but 1) NO, it's so much easier to come here and say 'poor me". 2) Too late...

Quote:
I can't just steal someone's job.
Sure you can, don't underestimate yourself.

Quote:
I bet if my thread said that I am an exercise instructor and have gained so much weight from unhealthy eating that I'm usually the heaviest person in the room and can't understand why attendance is down, you all would be on MY case saying I'm not setting a good example and that I should look the part. Go figure...
Boo-hoo, poor little ol' me, "everybody's always pickin' on me..."

Quote:
See? I was right. Why is that? It seems like the people who start threads get bashed and everyone sticks up for or makes excuses for the other person mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
actually some agreed, while others did not. that happens when one starts a thread.
Nope sorry, that's not how one sees the world when they see themselves as the victim.

Quote:
You're right, but the ones who didn't agree with me also made up excuses and imagined different scenarios for her (while probably wouldn't be so forgiving if I was the overweight instructor) and seemed to ignore the fact that at least three times I mentioned that the teacher's own form and stamina are suffering.
Wash, Rinse, Repeat...over and over and over again.

Sincerely, I just want to know when you're really going to step up to the plate and do one of two things, sound advice which has been repeated to you more than several times here, however and apparently you have managed to overlook it. Too busy on the pity pot, yes I am sorry to say that but that's what it looks like from where I'm standing. Yes, I am standing while I work on my computer.

1) Respectfully and politely speak to management about your 'sincere concerns' for the instructor as 'she seems to be having difficulty' performing the routines (you know, out of breath, shallow lunges, less reps...that sort of thing). Her physical health could be in peril.

2) Move on...Geez Louise already, almost a week here singing the same old song. Most people come here, present their problem, get advice, follow it and a) never return or b) follow the advice and are so happy with their results that they return to graciously give thanks for all the advice and help they received or c)eventually abandon their thread, lie low for awhile, return at a later date and hope nobody remembers them or d) return and sign up with a new pseudonym, 'new life', 'new personality' and act like nothing ever happened (kind of like the Witness Protection Program).

Find another instructor who will gladly give you what you desire...

Which one do you want to be...a), b), c) or d)?

I know you're going to ignore me and this post because you think I'm picking on you but really I'm not. I am really trying to demonstrate to you that your victimization is largely in your head. Currently it appears you are not able to stand up and be counted and be a strong and proud woman...you would rather just continue to whine.

Tell yourself this... and then stand up.

On the darkest days, when I feel inadequate, unloved and unworthy, I remember whose daughter I am and I straighten my crown.

Last edited by HomeIsWhere...; 02-08-2018 at 06:30 PM..

Old 02-08-2018, 07:53 PM

166 posts, read 115,767 times
my hairdresser has the worst hair, she really needs to do something about it

Old 02-08-2018, 08:39 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,945,355 times
Quote:
'50 pounds is just a guess.' Yeah, that's what I thought. And it just confirms that this whole thread is laughable, pointless garbage. You are basically telling stories to entertain yourself. You didn't say that she appears to have gained what looks like 50 pounds. You stated, as fact, that she gained 50 pounds. Not only that, but you also stated the oddly detailed and personal info that she gained that 50 pounds in 5 years, 30 of which were gained in the past 2 years; that she got married 8 years ago, which is a contributing factor; that she has no kids and is not on BC pills, etc etc. Why should anyone believe, or take seriously, anything else that you've claimed, since by your own admission, you don't know at all how much weight she's gained. You could be a hyperbolic drama queen for all we know.

You're either making things up as you go along, for the internet validation, OR, this is a woman that you know quite well...possibly a friend, or an acquaintance in your social circle (how else would you know so much about her personal life), and you are anonymously venting about her and calling her 'TUBBY' on a chat board on a real estate website, because you don't have the integrity to tell her face-to-face about your concerns, or to drop the class and find another one.

Which one of these 2 awesome people do you want to be?

Quote:
I bet if my thread said that I am an exercise instructor and have gained so much weight from unhealthy eating that I'm usually the heaviest person in the room and can't understand why attendance is down, you all would be on MY case saying I'm not setting a good example and that I should look the part. Go figure...
Quote:
See? I was right. Why is that? It seems like the people who start threads get bashed and everyone sticks up for or makes excuses for the other person mentioned.
Get over yourself. Also, grow up.

If you started a post about YOURSELF ("I gained 50 pounds. I got married 8 years ago. Thirty of the pounds I gained have been in the last 2 years. I don't have kids. I'm not on BC pills. I got married and let myself go."), we could take your word for it, since you would naturally know exactly how much weight you've gained, and why. (Although, you probably wouldn't be referring to YOURSELF as 'TUBBY').

If people thought you were coming from a place of sincerity, they'd be much more inclined to give you constructive criticism.

Quote:
Nothing you posted adds up to anything resembling truth. Therefore, people feel the need to consider and WEIGH (pun fully intended) all the different possible scenarios before coming to a conclusion.

Because here's another thing that doesn't make sense: this instructor has been TUBBY for 5 years, and especially TUBBY within the past 2 years...this makes you unhappy and unmotivated...yet you have been taking these classes for FIVE years, while other people take 1 class and never return? (Or so your claim.) Obviously, it's not because you like this instructor, or because you are such a nice person. Are these classes part of the offerings at the gym you belong to? There are NO other classes or instructors at this gym? Or, if these classes are something you pay for separately at a different type of facility...why would you pay good cash money, for FIVE years, for a service you are not satisfied with? If you're that rich, you can afford better.

Also, you need 5 years of classes to know how to do squats, lunges, crunches, planks, and curls with barbie weights (I'm guessing 3 or 5-pound dumbbells. Maybe 8's. You said 'light' weights.) If you need to be in a class for 5 years to be doing that kind of remedial phys ed, then I don't know if it's your place to be criticizing anyone else's fitness.

Quote:
It wasn't meant to be instructor bashing.
This thread is ALL about instructor bashing. And now it's a thread complaining that more people aren't waving pom poms and doing herkies for Team Winter Sucks.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:12 AM

11,011 posts, read 6,549,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyLongLeg View Post
my hairdresser has the worst hair, she really needs to do something about it

LOL! Thanks, Daddy. This thread needs some humor!

OP, you asked an innocent question, and NO I would not go to an unfit fitness instructor. Sheesh.

My dentist better have good teeth.

Comparing gymnastics and football stuff is ludicrous, since they are sports only the young and exceptionally gifted can do. Coaches are necessarily over that age. No comparison to fitness instructors.

I'm on your side, Winter. People like to gang up on you here.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:35 AM

20,687 posts, read 19,829,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
At 14,138 posts, you're gonna have to lump yourself in with the ones around here who 'spend a lot of time on computers'.
yep, absolutely. I am all day on it Mon - Fri because my job is very boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness