Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 07:33 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,964,014 times

Advertisements

I would do it. I honestly don't care what the trainer looks like. My last trainer was an ex-dancer and still had that build, but she was also an RN and had done a lot of rehabilitative work with seniors. If she'd been 100 lbs heavier I still would have worked with her. Her knowledge of anatomy and musculature was unsurpassed. I am still learning from her (by thinking over things she told me that I didn't completely understand at the time) and I haven't seen her since August.

I don't care if I'm svelte and I'm not threatened by fat people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 08:13 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
I'm still trying to figure out what getting married has to do with this.

Old 02-03-2018, 12:17 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Sucks View Post
Would you be less inclined to take classes with an exercise leader who has put on about 50 pounds over the past five years, not due to a medical issue, just the old 'got married and gained weight'?

The longtime swimming coach at Yale University, produced a number of national championship teams, but couldn't swim a stroke, himself. They tossed him into the pool, to celebrate their first championship, then had to drag him out, to keep him from drowning.

There seem to be some NFL football coaches who are quite overweight, but yet have had great success in producing winning teams.

Old 02-03-2018, 12:53 AM

294 posts, read 293,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I'd prefer a teacher who walks their talk because it shows their method works... their body is the selling point. Blaming a wedding 8-yrs ago for being overweight now, isn't a valid excuse. Barring medical conditions, severe injuries and/or certain meds, overeating/inactivity causes weight gain & we all know it.
She is an instructor in a class as I understand it. She isn't giving eating advice. We weren't even asked about whether we would go to her as a personal trainer. She is simply teaching a class.

If she gained 50 pounds then she is overeating. She has a calorie surplus. She is probably doing fine on the exercise end of things, but is simply eating too many calories.

What does that have to do with her competence in teaching a Zumba (or whatever) class? To me, it just doesn't. I probably wouldn't go to her for losing weight advice. But, that isn't her function in this class. She isn't advertising a method to lose weight. She is simply tasked with teaching the class which doesn't sound like it is a nutrition class or a diet class. It is an exercise class. Being overweight doesn't keep her from knowing how to do the moves required for the class.

Old 02-03-2018, 04:02 AM

716 posts, read 557,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koshka2 View Post
Being overweight doesn't keep her from knowing how to do the moves required for the class.
Yes, she KNOWS the moves, but as I said, the extra weight is affecting her stamina and form. Her large belly is getting in the way.

Old 02-03-2018, 05:25 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
No I wouldn't because if they can't keep themselves trim and they are in the business then something is wrong. Perhaps this instructor needs to brush up on nutrition.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:40 AM

927 posts, read 969,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Sucks View Post
Would you be less inclined to take classes with an exercise leader who has put on about 50 pounds over the past five years, not due to a medical issue, just the old 'got married and gained weight'?
Yes, sounds like great choice! Why would I want a fit and trim exercise instructor without any issues?

Last edited by ezrider62; 02-03-2018 at 06:41 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-03-2018, 06:53 AM

4,004 posts, read 2,082,729 times
If she was a good instructor and knew her stuff, I'd keep going to her. If I didn't like her, despite the fact she knew her stuff, I wouldnt need an excuse to move on - Id just do it.

She may have a physical reason and NOT feel a need to discuss it with you or the class. It would be none of your business anyway. I wouldn't be there for how she looks, but I would be there for how I look.

Are you there for the class, or to have something to gossip about?

Old 02-03-2018, 08:13 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Has she been exercising regularly, and working out hard with her students all this time?

If so, I'd say it actually is a medical issue.

There's a percentage of people who have a cortisol reaction to heavy workouts, and their bodies go into panic mode and they shut down metabolism and pack on the pounds. Not pretty muscle pounds, fat pounds in the belly area.

People dismiss this, and say well she's probably eating more. Well you know, muscle weighs more than fat.

No. Very rigorous exercise causes some people to pack on fat.

If she's married, it's also likely she's on a hormonal form of birth control, which yep, causes weight gain.

She'd probably do much better taking a different job, and getting her exercise the way we were meant to do it - by using her body the way it was intended. Move around. Pick stuff up and carry it. Climb up on to things and then climb back down. Run a little, like a half mile a few times a week. Walk several miles several times a week. And stop doing the repetitive scheduled exercise until her body goes into shut down. Just move, and move.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:22 AM

716 posts, read 557,637 times
She's 50 with no children (no weight gain due to BC pills) and admits that she and her husband have "gained weight together".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness