Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 10:27 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
With all due respect, sincerely...

Well, having just reading a thread where 'logic and reasoning' were mentioned, I will only add my 2 cents with my life

IMHO all the reasons you have provided
Docendo discimus, men learn while they teach

That sums it up for me...
Edited ...but just wanted to give accolades to your post! So reasonable !
You get my respect ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 02:03 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,776,277 times
Who cares? She's probably in better shape than anyone in the room - if she can do the same routine you all are doing, then what's the beef?

Only an idiot would base their decision on who should be instructing a fitness class on whether or not they look "attractive", whatever "attractive" even means. If you're that shallow, feel free to shove off. Commenting on something that is absolutely none of your business is just rude.

I have an actual metabolic disorder that makes it ridiculously hard for me to maintain "normal" weight. As I aged and could no longer run - not jog, RUN - 5 days a week and had to switch to cycling, I put on about 40 lbs. I was still WAY more fit than much younger, thinner women. Fitness is not necessarily tied to weight. Don't be so judgmental.

Old 02-05-2018, 02:15 PM

716 posts, read 557,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
if she can do the same routine you all are doing, then what's the beef?
No, her routines are suffering. She is losing her form, balance, and stamina.

Old 02-05-2018, 03:55 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,313,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter Sucks View Post
Hmmm, then perhaps she may be ill (you'll never know unless she actually 'confides' in you, which, for her sake, I hope she doesn't.

Old 02-05-2018, 03:58 PM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Then that's something you should bring up with gym management. If they're confident in her abilities, the only thing you can do is drop her class.

Old 02-06-2018, 04:04 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Would you be less inclined to take classes with an exercise leader who has put on about 50 pounds over the past five years, not due to a medical issue, just the old 'got married and gained weight'?
Yes, I would be less inclined, and regardless of comments here I believe the majority feel the same. In certain professions one is expected to "look the part." So in the case of exercise/fitness (especially for run-of-the-mill classes like Zumba, etc) one should be at an appropriate weight. Fifty pounds overweight is not fit by any stretch of the imagination. If I see that I would just think "why bother?" Most people go to these classes not just to "be fit" but to lose weight and look/feel good. I don't think someone fifty pounds overweight would be a good motivator. It might be different if she were just a bit overweight but muscular.

Old 02-06-2018, 04:27 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,999,675 times
If she was extremely fit and had no issues performing the moves, the weight doesn't matter. Honestly, as a guy in the process of losing weight (started at 226, currently weigh 202, goal is 170 lbs), I'd trust a heavy, but competent instructor MORE than a super lean instructor. The leaner person has, most likely, never been significantly overweight. The advice they give is good, but they don't really KNOW where you're coming from.

However, if her weight is affecting her ability to teach...that's a problem. It's like being in a spinning class where the instructor can't even perform the workout she's leading you through. That would be kind of awkward.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:20 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
If she was extremely fit and had no issues performing the moves, the weight doesn't matter. Honestly, as a guy in the process of losing weight (started at 226, currently weigh 202, goal is 170 lbs), I'd trust a heavy, but competent instructor MORE than a super lean instructor. The leaner person has, most likely, never been significantly overweight. The advice they give is good, but they don't really KNOW where you're coming from.

However, if her weight is affecting her ability to teach...that's a problem. It's like being in a spinning class where the instructor can't even perform the workout she's leading you through. That would be kind of awkward.
You do not know if the lean person has a history of weight gain or not. But you do know the heavy instructor doesn't seem to know how to get it off. Sooo.... whom do you look more at for guidance? The person who knows how to get in shape or the person who obviously can't get a grip on their own issues? How can he teach you to lose weight if he can't even follow his own advice?

Old 02-08-2018, 08:43 AM

1,347 posts, read 945,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Depends, less of an issue for men as most of it is strength oriented anyway. I'm about 50 pounds lighter than I was at my heaviest and could lose another 10-20 pounds. It made absolutely no difference in my ability to lift weights. I was quite a bit stronger back then as I spent more time lifting weights than I do now.
LOL, a fat man is OK but a fat woman is not for exercise. Right. Guys don't do cardio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
If she was a good instructor and knew her stuff, I'd keep going to her. If I didn't like her, despite the fact she knew her stuff, I wouldnt need an excuse to move on - Id just do it.
Agree. All I care about is whether they are a good enough instructor that I'm getting what I want out of the class. Especially in a class like Zumba, where each person styles differently.

OTOH, just because a person is fit and good at what they do, does not guarantee they are a good teacher/instructor. I've run into that more than once in the dance world, got enamored with people who were amazing dancers, but it turned out they were not great teachers and I learned very little.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:10 AM

2,821 posts, read 2,110,176 times
No doubt that an overweight exercise instructor may have plenty of great information. However, if I were seeking an instructor, I would prefer to find someone who has tested and benefitted from their own instruction and advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness