Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2018, 10:23 PM

265 posts, read 239,220 times

Advertisements

I have a mental illness, schizoaffective disorder. In high school I was less than 150 lbs. (2006). I first got treated for a mental illness in 2010. At this point i was still under 150lbs. So from 2010 till today I been on and off medications, and I have come to accept that I do need medication to not get delusional. I been hospitalized over 20 times, and just discharged last December 2017. So I need meds.

I'm at 200 lbs. today, that's 50 pounds in 10 years. I don't like it. IS it possible to lose weight on clozapine, and lithium? I'm so out of shape, I been trying. Basically ill like to get some tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 03:31 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2017 View Post
I have a mental illness, schizoaffective disorder. In high school I was less than 150 lbs. (2006). I first got treated for a mental illness in 2010. At this point i was still under 150lbs. So from 2010 till today I been on and off medications, and I have come to accept that I do need medication to not get delusional. I been hospitalized over 20 times, and just discharged last December 2017. So I need meds.

I'm at 200 lbs. today, that's 50 pounds in 10 years. I don't like it. IS it possible to lose weight on clozapine, and lithium? I'm so out of shape, I been trying. Basically ill like to get some tips.
Please check w/ your doctors/nurse care providers because it doesn't take much to put your medications out of therapeutic range if you overdo things and get dehydrated. I used to be an RN - didn't have much psych experience, but I imagine that some of your meds might affect your motivation at times to get up and exercise as well (drowsy, lightheadedness). These meds may also affect your heart rhythm, so going out being over-zealous w/ fitness might cause problems for you. If you have a regular physician/health care provider, make sure you tell him/her your intention to start an exercise program.

I think fitness will be a good outlet/endeavor for you though.

I'd start of easy/light with possibly some daily fitness walks (30 mins - work your way up to 60 mins). It may seem like a worthless activity, but I know so many people who've walked off their lbs by walking.....

....but diet can't be ignored. Eating the right foods (and activity) will get you down to your right weight. Perhaps work in some strengthening and toning activities that you can do at home (see youtube for examples)......if you want, fitness classes or fitness rooms might be your next step.

I've gotten on a fitness routine about 5-6 yrs ago because I was 20 lbs overwt.....I bike, run, do classes, do stuff in my garage (following YouTube videos).....I like variety to keep things interesting.

Diet has been my toughest part as I eat when I'm bored. I have stopped beer two months ago. Stopped soda (even diet) probably a year ago. Adding salads, fiber stuff to keep me filled up - trying to avoid fast foods.

Visit Youtube for Diet, Fitness recommendations - there are a lot out there. You kind of have to be selective though.

This forum is a good one to post your progress or ask questions as there are a lot of posters here who have been successful. Good luck to you sir/

Last edited by BucFan; 02-23-2018 at 03:40 AM..

Old 02-23-2018, 05:20 AM

just an additional recommendation: LOOK INTO YOGA!

you burn calories, you get flexibility (something that is lost with age), you work on balance (lost with age), you work on your core - there is a lot of time for contemplation (could be good for mental health), often you meet other people (social interaction often good for mental health).....

I wish I picked up the yoga habit in my 20's-30's-40's, but better late than never ----some may consider it a sissy-type of activity and often you're surrounded by women if you do group yoga (but is that a bad thing?)......

It is very easy to learn - poses aren't overly difficult once you do them for few sessions.....

Old 02-23-2018, 05:26 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbZuzDcPhVE

Old 02-23-2018, 06:59 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,106,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
just an additional recommendation: LOOK INTO YOGA!

you burn calories, you get flexibility (something that is lost with age), you work on balance (lost with age), you work on your core - there is a lot of time for contemplation (could be good for mental health), often you meet other people (social interaction often good for mental health).....

I wish I picked up the yoga habit in my 20's-30's-40's, but better late than never ----some may consider it a sissy-type of activity and often you're surrounded by women if you do group yoga (but is that a bad thing?)......

It is very easy to learn - poses aren't overly difficult once you do them for few sessions.....
I used to consider it a "sissy thing", but then after looking at the origins of the art and just how difficult the poses will gradually get, I zipped the lips and kept to my side of the room.
Definitely not an art to be knocked once someone gets good at it.

Old 02-25-2018, 05:28 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
I used to consider it a "sissy thing", but then after looking at the origins of the art and just how difficult the poses will gradually get, I zipped the lips and kept to my side of the room.
Definitely not an art to be knocked once someone gets good at it.
It is something that can be as easy or as challenging as you make it, which is what makes it great. It’s also helpful for meditation and clearing your mind, since you really have to focus to get good at some of the harder balancing poses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness