U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2018, 09:06 AM

5,175 posts, read 6,375,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
- I've incorporated running on the treadmill again but not as long as before. I walk more than I run because running tends to bulk me up some.
No, it does not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 10:20 AM

8,128 posts, read 5,317,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
No, it does not.
LOL

You should run incline at 15% at a 3.5 mph pace and every minute decrease the % by 1% and increase the speed by 0.5 mph. 15 mins. It's a nice heart condition work-out.

I hope to start the pace at 4.0 mph in May.

Old 04-25-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
LOL

You should run incline at 15% at a 3.5 mph pace and every minute decrease the % by 1% and increase the speed by 0.5 mph. 15 mins. It's a nice heart condition work-out.

I hope to start the pace at 4.0 mph in May.
I've run over 200 races from 1 mile to marathons over the past 24 years. I've done every kind of running workout both outside on hills and on treadmills. Are you going to tell me that you believe the OP's statement that, "running tends to bulk me up some."

I doubt she is doing an incline workout as you described. But as you stated about your workout, "It's a nice heart condition work-out." A workout that is a heart condition workout is not going to bulk you up unless in causes you to eat a lot more that you ate before.

Old 04-25-2018, 06:12 PM

8,128 posts, read 5,317,908 times
Quote:
I've run over 200 races from 1 mile to marathons over the past 24 years. I've done every kind of running workout both outside on hills and on treadmills. Are you going to tell me that you believe the OP's statement that, "running tends to bulk me up some."

I doubt she is doing an incline workout as you described. But as you stated about your workout, "It's a nice heart condition work-out." A workout that is a heart condition workout is not going to bulk you up unless in causes you to eat a lot more that you ate before.
I never agreed with OP's statement. I was giving him/her a new way to use the treadmill.

Old 04-26-2018, 06:35 PM

27,171 posts, read 29,720,175 times
Quote:
Update: I took a composite of the advice I received on this thread and implemented it. I feel really good about it and I think that I'm going to reach my goal.

- I work out more days per week with cardio and some resistance (not much yet but some is better than nothing). It was suggested 5x weekly whereas before I worked out 3x weekly.
- I've incorporated running on the treadmill again but not as long as before. I walk more than I run because running tends to bulk me up some.
- I downloaded a fitnesss app and track every single thing I eat daily. It was just as a poster mentioned, I had unknowingly been consuming more calories than I realized.
- The app said that in order for me to lose 10 lbs, I should get around 1,200 calories per day. I had been consuming around 2,200 daily according to my food tracker.
- I've lost 2 lbs according to the scale at the gym. Not much but better than nothing. However, what is more noticeable to me in my clothes is the fact that I've lost at least 1/2" around the middle, hips, and my face appears slightly leaner.
- I'm not dousing food in creamy sauces as much anymore; foods such as mayo which is my favorite condiment behind ketchup.
Donít forget the intervals! These help burn more calories and improve your stamina. They also make your workouts feel easier as well. There are really a ton of great benefits beyond weight loss.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:28 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,442,852 times
Default Burpee exercise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
You need to spice up your workouts.

I do:

3 days of weight training days; M, W, and Sat
2 days of functional cardio (boxing or kickboxing); T, TH
2 days of all cardio; F, Sun

Every 6 months i shake up the above schedule. I try to take a TRX, Russian Kettlebell, Pilates or Boxing class every other week at a studio or boxing gym. They usually go for $20 to $30 bucks.

If you want to lose love handles, you will need to engage your core and obliques. On top of maintaining a healthy diet (food+liquids).
I stumbled upon a video on doing intervals of burpee which supposedly is the best way to lose love handles. First time trying it was today. Hard but I'll keep at it until I master it.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:32 PM

Default Not going back and forth on my truth

Quote:
No, it does not.
Maybe it does not to your body or the people that you know but you have no knowledge whatsoever for what running has done to, or for, my body.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:35 PM

Default Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Donít forget the intervals! These help burn more calories and improve your stamina. They also make your workouts feel easier as well. There are really a ton of great benefits beyond weight loss.
Yes, I've read that. I've been doing the walking-running intervals. As I stated just a minute ago in the other post, I've started the burpee and that has intervals as well.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Maybe it does not to your body or the people that you know but you have no knowledge whatsoever for what running has done to, or for, my body.
OK, maybe you're an except to the human race.

Old 04-27-2018, 07:38 PM

2,810 posts, read 1,922,238 times
What are love handles made of? Fat!!! How do you get rid of fat? While exercise is certainly part of the equation, diet is by far the most important aspect. Unfortunately, people are programed by their genetics. Eat right, exercise and do the best you can. Don't lose sleep if you don't look 18 anymore!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness