U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 09:49 AM

1,225 posts, read 604,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
It's good to see that you've mentioned stomach crunches and planks. I haven't done those in quite awhile. They're the few exercises which are hard for me to do consistently. After a few days of stomach crunches, I remember my stomach actually hurting when I coughed or moved a certain way. On another note, I read recently on one fitness site or another a poster scoff and say that stomach crunches and sit-ups are an old-fashioned, out-dated way of thinking about fitness and do nothing for flattening one's stomach in this day and age. I've noticed in many gyms that I've been in, while traveling, that there may be several treadmills, elliptical machines, and free weights in the place but there will only be ONE abdomen machine, if that.
Our fitness floor has quite a few "ab" machines.
None of which I use, in favor of doing circles with feet; an advanced leg raise. Jack knives are another good one.
For years I couldn't get rid of my 1'' spare tire around the waist.
You MUST target those areas, and do so often; preferably post-cardio while metabolism is at its' peak.
I do core training every workout, as once/week was not cutting it.
Best wishes on your goals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 09:54 AM

15,264 posts, read 12,563,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Backstory: Over age 40, female, high and weight proportionate, BMI 24, and as stated in a thread I started previously: I love fruit and vegetables. Yes, I also salty snacks and sweet snacks on occasion but don't go overboard. I try to drink at least 64 oz of water daily, I workout at the gym 3x week for about 45 minutes between the elyptical machine and power-wallking on the treadmill. Nevertheless, a fleshy muffin top sits on top of the waistband of jeans or pants that I wear. Taking my fingers, I can actually hold the flesh in my fingers and jiggle it like a block of jello. I've also notice this belly fat on some younger slim people. so it's not just an age thing. It affects fat and slim alike of all ages.

Reading a Redbook magazine yesterday, I saw an article stating belly fat is only water weight which is from eating salty foods/snacks. I thought it was stored fat that for some reason I can't get my body to burn it for energy. A thread on Health & Wellness touts intermitted fasting (IF) to lose weight / burn fat but I already do this and it hasn't diminished my love handles at all.

Has anyone dealt with this and been able to get rid of it? How did you do it?
First get yourself a Pilates ring... cheap and do the job... they work fast and get rid of extra bits hard to move by just dieting. give it a go.... you can find out how to use them on Youtube.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:41 AM

2,351 posts, read 1,073,565 times
Adjust your diet and work to strengthen/tone up your core. There's a lot of videos on youtube that will show you how to properly execute them. Pilates is good for your core.

Also try some HIIT instead of walking.

Focusing on making my core stronger is what made the biggest difference for me in that area.

Old 04-12-2018, 12:50 PM

15,254 posts, read 16,819,147 times
Few will agree with me, but I'm 56 and I lost my belly fat by "eating clean," which primarily means no white sugar, no white flour, and no packaged foods with more than 6 ingredients or anything that's not real food.

I also do cardio and weights, but the belly didn't disappear until I cut out the sugar and white flour.

Old 04-12-2018, 02:28 PM

2,351 posts, read 1,073,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Few will agree with me, but I'm 56 and I lost my belly fat by "eating clean," which primarily means no white sugar, no white flour, and no packaged foods with more than 6 ingredients or anything that's not real food.

I also do cardio and weights, but the belly didn't disappear until I cut out the sugar and white flour.

I totally agree. Clean eating is huge. We consume way too much white sugars and processed foods as a society.

Old 04-12-2018, 05:28 PM

5,156 posts, read 6,347,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Because for some women, even a small difference in the size of their thighs, makes them feel bigger. And changes the way they are used to their clothing fitting. Also, many things like blazers and button down tops are not friendly to women who lift. We have a long way to go in terms of having “visible muscle definition” is considered ok and mainstream.

Don’t think of this as a knock on you, but think of how much flack someone like Serena Williams has gotten for her “unfeminine body.” If I recall correctly, you are also Latina - and for us browner people or color, there are more acceptable version of “feminine shapes” than Jennifer Anniston or Jessica Alba.

For example I had developed quads as an 9-10 year old and struggled then with getting pants to fit then. So it really isn’t going to make a difference now if my thighs get “bulky” there has never been a period in my life where pants fit around my thighs easily. I might as well just lift weights.
Quote:
even a small difference in the size of their thighs, makes them feel bigger
Seriously? I can't believe you actually wrote that. You and women like you need to get over this mindset. It makes no sense. It is self defeating. I could probably count on one hand the number of women who I have ever seen who are too muscular. And that includes spending a lot of time in gyms.

Serena Williams is an exception. You and 99.99% of women are not going to look like her no matter what you do.

You have to remember that building muscle and burning fat are two separate processes. When guys such as football players use the phrase, "bulking up," they are talking about building muscle without burning off the fat. They are looking for size and strength not lean a lean muscular build. What is happening to you is you are building a slight bit of muscle, which you notice but you have not been patient to also burn/reduce the calories to shrink the fat that still remains. For many men and women, it is easier to build a little muscle that to burn off a couple pounds of fat.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:44 PM

1,767 posts, read 1,435,997 times
Default No running or walking too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckeeesmom View Post
I have been trying to get back into shape during the last 6-9 months. I was probably about 15-20 lbs overweight. I lost the weight and now have been working on toning up. Even though I had lost weight, I still did not have any waist taper. It was pretty much straight down which was different from when I was younger and had more of an hourglass figure. I had been running 2-3 times a week but started doing strength training once a week. Surprisingly, my waist has finally returned! Some specific exercises that I have been doing are: dead lifts while holding a single 20lb hand weight, Obliques (russian twists while holding a 10 lb hand weight and also using an exercise device at the gym that looks like this one https://www.walmart.com/ip/CAP-Stren...&wl13=&veh=sem

and just regular stomach crunches and planks.

I still have a ways to go to firm up the front of the stomach/waist area but I have seen major results on my obliques and the section of waist at lower back.

I hope this helps!

P.S. With my strength training I have been doing weights that are pretty hard for me. I have been building muscle but I look a lot more trim and toned than I did before gaining that muscle. Don't be afraid of bulking up. You will not have that happen unless you are combining with a diet that encourages that.
It's impressive that you were able to reach your goal with weight loss. Congratulations!

Once you started the strength training, did you stop running 2-3x a week?

Old 04-12-2018, 09:54 PM

Default PC work place

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckeeesmom View Post
Did you have anyone comment on your shape from running or was that your own perception? I have noticed that my running has also given me more definition in my thighs, hips, and butt but I look better and my clothes and/or swimsuit fit better. I am in your age range and have a job that primarily consists of sitting all day so I felt like when I was not in shape my butt had flattened out and lowered a bit giving an older age appearance. The running has provided more definition there and, while it is much rounder and more defined, it has also lifted up a bit which provides a more youthful appearance
Thankfully, I'm not in an environment where people will make public comments on a woman's body. The message has been received loud and clear that unasked-for verbal assessment on looks or body is no-no. However, what has happened since my muscles have firmed up is that I've noticed quite a few young guys singular or with each other "slow down" significantly as they pass the weight room where I'm on the treadmill or elliptical and stare (the room has all windows on one side). I'm currently working away from family and friends so they haven't seen me lately to comment on my physique.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:00 PM

Default Trying natural means

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebrigitte View Post
Belly fat is so tricky to lose! I am a dancer, and belly fat is a big no-no in my type of work. I am very active, 5 times a week, and I could not get it off. My sister recommended me this fat freezing clinic in our hometown Sydney, I am sure you can find one near you if you are interested. They do non-surgical and non-invasive procedures, and I am very happy with the results! Add this to my dancing and yoga, and I was back on the dance floor in no time Hope this helps!
I haven't heard much about it. I'll look into it out of curiousity but I try and stay away from medical procedures, surgeries, or medications because I'm currently healthy, with no health diagnoses, and not on any prescription meds other than an allergy spray for seasonal allergies. I don't want to risk my health for something that I think could be accomplished using natural methods such as exercise and eating better. I'm glad to hear that it worked for you and you're back on the dance floor.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:02 PM

Villageidiot1,

There was no link in your post for the ab wheel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness