Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 02:40 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,578,360 times

Advertisements

Backstory: Over age 40, female, high and weight proportionate, BMI 24, and as stated in a thread I started previously: I love fruit and vegetables. Yes, I also salty snacks and sweet snacks on occasion but don't go overboard. I try to drink at least 64 oz of water daily, I workout at the gym 3x week for about 45 minutes between the elyptical machine and power-wallking on the treadmill. Nevertheless, a fleshy muffin top sits on top of the waistband of jeans or pants that I wear. Taking my fingers, I can actually hold the flesh in my fingers and jiggle it like a block of jello. I've also notice this belly fat on some younger slim people. so it's not just an age thing. It affects fat and slim alike of all ages.

Reading a Redbook magazine yesterday, I saw an article stating belly fat is only water weight which is from eating salty foods/snacks. I thought it was stored fat that for some reason I can't get my body to burn it for energy. A thread on Health & Wellness touts intermitted fasting (IF) to lose weight / burn fat but I already do this and it hasn't diminished my love handles at all.

Has anyone dealt with this and been able to get rid of it? How did you do it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2018, 02:54 PM

29,507 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Need to do more exercise, up it to 5 times per week, mix of long steady cardio and interval type training in addition to weights.

Diet needs to be keyed in.

Otherwise, liposuction.

Fit with belly rolls

How can I get rid off side fat?

How Do I Remove Stubborn Fat?

6 Simple Ways to Lose Belly Fat, Based on Science

Old 04-07-2018, 03:41 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,763 times
You may be stuck with them. Belly fat is tricky to lose if ever.
Clean up your diet, and like the above poster suggests, HIIT or Tabata training, and then resistance with a focus on your core.
I dont put much stock into magazine articles about how to get rid of fat, especially a magazine like Redbook. These articles are often incorrect or misleading. Belly fat is more than water weight.

Old 04-07-2018, 03:47 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,974,750 times
Maybe try something like yoga or pilates to specifically target your core.

Old 04-07-2018, 03:56 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Yes, I also salty snacks and sweet snacks on occasion but don't go overboard.
You're probably eating more than you think.

Try an app like MyFitnessPal to track exactly how much you're eating, and bump up your workouts one more day a week.

Old 04-07-2018, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Need to do more exercise, up it to 5 times per week, mix of long steady cardio and interval type training in addition to weights.

Diet needs to be keyed in.

Otherwise, liposuction.

Fit with belly rolls

How can I get rid off side fat?

How Do I Remove Stubborn Fat?

6 Simple Ways to Lose Belly Fat, Based on Science
Ok. Weights for what areas of the body? I ask because I don't want bigger thighs, chest or arms. No liposuction, I want to lose it through natural methods.

Old 04-07-2018, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
You may be stuck with them. Belly fat is tricky to lose if ever.
Clean up your diet, and like the above poster suggests, HIIT or Tabata training, and then resistance with a focus on your core.
I dont put much stock into magazine articles about how to get rid of fat, especially a magazine like Redbook. These articles are often incorrect or misleading. Belly fat is more than water weight.
Thanks, I've never heard of HIIT or Tabata training. I'll have to research them.

Old 04-07-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Maybe try something like yoga or pilates to specifically target your core.
I've never understand how yoga is considered a form of fitness since it seems to me to be stationary and meditative rather than physically intensive (ex: cardio workout). Pilates is offered in my area during a time when I'm at work so unable to attend. But, I could purchase a pilated dvd or pull it up online now that I think about it and get the workout that way. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 04-07-2018, 09:25 PM

Default Hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
You're probably eating more than you think.

Try an app like MyFitnessPal to track exactly how much you're eating, and bump up your workouts one more day a week.
That reminds me, yesterday while at the dentist office reading magazines, I also read where our targeted calories should be 1,500 a day. It's no longer 2,000 which for the longest was recommended by the US department of Health and Human Services.

I know in the past my problem was that I love sauces and tended to douse the food that I eat in at least one of these (and still love it but more aware not to go crazy with it): ketchup, mayo, mustard, salad dressings (Ranch), tartar sauce, hot sauce, soy sauce, french onion dip, butter (real or Country Crock), or syrup. It's hard to keep track of the calories of sauces because I don't measure it, I just pour it on the plate or bowl next to the food servings. Maybe it's the fat from the sauces that have set up shop around my middle and it's as if my body refuses to burn this stored fat for energy.

I've just downloaded the app and signed up. Thanks for recommending it.

Last edited by Klassyhk; 04-07-2018 at 09:39 PM..

Old 04-07-2018, 09:42 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
I know in the past my problem was that I love sauces and tended to douse the food that I eat in at least one of these (and still love it but more aware not to go crazy with it): ketchup, mayo, mustard, salad dressings (Ranch), tartar sauce, hot sauce, soy sauce, french onion dip, butter (real or Country Crock), or syrup. It's hard to keep track of the calories of sauces because I don't measure it, I just pour it on the plate or bowl next to the food servings. Maybe it's the fat from the sauces that have set up shop around my middle and it's as if my body refuses to burn this stored fat for energy.
Yes, that would be a big problem.

The other thing that probably hinders you is the very high amount of sodium in all of those and the sugar that is in some.

Most of us eat way more salt and sugar than we realize.

That app has been very helpful for me, and a male friend of mine lost 40 lbs using it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness