Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 10:45 AM

57 posts, read 39,460 times

Advertisements

Im currently using the dumbell ppl programme of reddit. Ive added lat pulldowns,barbell rows on it. Im kinda scared to squat since I dont have someone to spot me(even though isnt a spotter for it useless?) and Ive been making ok progress strength wise. Is this routine enough to get swole? Or do I have to do barbell bench press( I do db presses) and deadlifts. I dont even mind adding deadlifts its just squat that scares me ****less
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2018, 01:22 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
I (female) use dumbbells on a regular basis with great results. Some exercises are better with dumbbells than the bar, but it also comes down to preference. I like to mix things up a bit though every now and then so I've varied my workouts with some bar exercises as well. For legs, you can do lunges with dumbbells. I do both dumbbell and barbell bench presses.

Old 04-24-2018, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I (female) use dumbbells on a regular basis with great results. Some exercises are better with dumbbells than the bar, but it also comes down to preference. I like to mix things up a bit though every now and then so I've varied my workouts with some bar exercises as well. For legs, you can do lunges with dumbbells. I do both dumbbell and barbell bench presses.
Do you do barbell squats? if you do,any tips on getting over the fear of heavy squats?hows the smith machine btw? is it an ok substitute for barbell squats? as I might be joining a gym which only has a smith machine and no squat rack as its closer to work, i can get a workout in and go back to work during lunch.

Old 04-24-2018, 01:50 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,774,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siddhant1991 View Post
Do you do barbell squats? if you do,any tips on getting over the fear of heavy squats?hows the smith machine btw? is it an ok substitute for barbell squats? as I might be joining a gym which only has a smith machine and no squat rack as its closer to work, i can get a workout in and go back to work during lunch.
I would recommend you start out with bodyweight box squats. Do that until you're comfortable with squatting, then slowly start adding weight. Use just the bar at first until you're comfortable with that. You can also do kettlebell or dumbbell squats. If you're not sure of the form, watch youtube videos or hire a trainer for a few sessions to get the form down.

As for the rest of your physique, as long as you're not neglecting one part of your body, it doesn't matter if you use barbell or dumbbells but I recommend doing both to mix it up.

Old 04-24-2018, 02:00 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,796,492 times
Quote:
Don't know what you mean by "passable physique".

Don't cut out squats. It is the best lift. Smith machine is not good, but much better than nothing. Free weights are best by far. To get over the fear of heavy squats, don't lift heavy. Start very small and very slow. Concentrate on form not weight, build from there. Learn about diet and rest. Squats and deadlifts are the best lifts. Other compound lifts follow those.

Best of luck.

Old 04-24-2018, 02:06 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Im currently using the dumbell ppl programme of reddit. Ive added lat pulldowns,barbell rows on it. Im kinda scared to squat since I dont have someone to spot me(even though isnt a spotter for it useless?) and Ive been making ok progress strength wise. Is this routine enough to get swole? Or do I have to do barbell bench press( I do db presses) and deadlifts. I dont even mind adding deadlifts its just squat that scares me ****less
You can do hack squats with a barbell. They are effective. If you stand on something suitable or use smaller plates you can descend lower. It's different than doing a deadlift and you'll feel it much more in the quadriceps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdtaJRBqwes

Old 04-24-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
You can do hack squats with a barbell. They are effective. If you stand on something suitable or use smaller plates you can descend lower. It's different than doing a deadlift and you'll feel it much more in the quadriceps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdtaJRBqwes
that looks safer ( im not sure if back squats is not safe but weight on my back makes me nervous)I will add this. Thanks for showing me this.

Old 04-24-2018, 02:28 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
that looks safer ( im not sure if back squats is not safe but weight on my back makes me nervous)I will add this. Thanks for showing me this.
You're welcome. Pay attention to good form when doing them to maximize the effort on the quadriceps.

Old 04-24-2018, 02:34 PM

19,033 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Do not squat. Period. Forget fear and balance issues, it's the fastest route to hurt your back.
You mentioned Smith, is it safe to presume you have gym access? Then go use reverse leg press machines. Safe as it gets and off loads your back.
As I wish you - and your back - well.
Another honest suggestion is - before you get into any meaningful lifting, dedicate majority of your routine to strong core building. Only THEN you will be safe to head to any "passable(what is passable anyway?) physique".
You be well...

Old 04-24-2018, 02:37 PM

19,033 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Btw, what Mike555 suggested. That is, basically, a dead lift. Weight behind the back shifts weight application posterior to the centerline. Hence, you have to start with a dead lift type back extension to clear rising barbell, or it will get stuck under your buttocks.
Also, shoulders are twisted posterior and externally rotated. it's AWKWARD. Anything awkward is gate to damage.
Yet again, entire weight applied posterior to the centerline, throws one out of balance as, normally, weight bearing line falls through the hip joint, knee center and about an inch anterior to ankle joint. Then you have it more or less evenly distributed through the foot center/base of support. Shift it all where that person has it and what prevents you from falling back now?

I spoke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness