U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 06:43 AM

13,487 posts, read 11,027,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2017 View Post
Is doing 100 push ups, under ten minutes good? I'm out of shape, working my way
There's variables; your weight, upper body strength/endurance - when doing 100 push ups.

I wouldn't put too much (if any) stock into 100 push ups being a barometer of your fitness. For example: I have a close woman freind that's a ultra marathoner/tri-athlete that's a strong-fast runner/cyclist/swimmer that cant do one single proper pull-up, probably cant do 100 push ups in 10 mins.

Shes far from being "out of shape". Im sure most people on here cant even compete with her level of cardio fitness. Weight lifting - she probably cant compete with most people on here who lifts weights.

Last edited by hawaiiancoconut; 05-10-2018 at 06:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 07:13 AM

3,261 posts, read 2,367,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I under your sarcasm, but I finding it difficult to understand why people think 100 in ten minutes is difficult. That is not even remotely challenging except to the very out of shape, and as someone asked; what is the purpose of such measure?

It is essentially; can you do 10 push ups? If so, then 40 seconds is plenty of time to recover, and you can even shorten your recovery time between sets at first, and make them longer as you reach the ten minute point.
Only about 20% of the US population get the recommended daily amount of exercise and you can probably safely assume that half of those can't do 100 pushups (at least). I don't know why this is so hard for you to understand. Anecdotally, when I'm anywhere outside of my gym I rarely see people who I think look like they workout or are in good shape so if I had to guess I'd say that only 5% or less of the population could pull this off.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:50 AM

9,865 posts, read 8,003,412 times
I've never timed myself, but all in a row. 100 sit ups would probably do me more good these days.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:19 AM

12,650 posts, read 12,071,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana07 View Post
Depends upon how you do it. I lift weights regularly, and I can probably do 12 -15 push ups in 1 set. Then, I would need to rest for 60-90 seconds if I am to keep up that number. Why?
1. I do push ups only once a week, so I am not very good at them.
2. I do push ups slooowly, so that I can feel them in my chest. They are a substitute for chest flyes for me.
Ok, but that is not what the OP said, the OP just stated "100 in ten minutes". That does not mean do them slowly, all at once or anything, just means "can you do 100 push ups in ten minutes". So essentially, if a person can do ten push ups, that means they probably can do 100 in ten minutes because you just do ten at a time, rest, do ten more. Your rest periods can be short at first, longer as the end comes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Only about 20% of the US population get the recommended daily amount of exercise and you can probably safely assume that half of those can't do 100 pushups (at least). I don't know why this is so hard for you to understand. Anecdotally, when I'm anywhere outside of my gym I rarely see people who I think look like they workout or are in good shape so if I had to guess I'd say that only 5% or less of the population could pull this off.
My first post was;

"In ten minutes? Goodness, I would hope people can do this. (but probably many cannot, lol)

That is actually easy, and a person would have to be really out of shape not to be able to do 100 push ups in ten minutes."

I already stated many people probably cannot, and those people in my opinion are out of shape.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:34 AM

4,682 posts, read 5,832,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
I was a Master Fitness Trainer in the Army Reserve. Good form pushups are not easy and not common, even among military types who have had form drilled into them.
I'd guess maybe 5-10% of the population can do 100 GOOD pushups in 10 minutes. Probably five percent.

Army standard was down to where your upper arms are parallel to the ground. Up is all the way up. Back must be flat and straight. No cheating by bending your back this way and that, or rolling up and down like ocean waves. I videotaped PT tests because there were, of course, some disputes.

I've subbed at quite a few high school for P.E. and I also coach. What I have witnessed is the majority of high school boys can't do 10 pushups with good form.

Regarding standards, I had lunch duty at a couple high schools where Army recruiters were doing a pushup competition among high schools. Students would do them in the cafeteria during lunch. Many of the students were barely moving their arms. They were going up and down about two inches. The Army recruiters accepted everything.

I've always done pushups by touching my chest to the floor. I consider "upper arms are parallel to the ground" to not be a proper pushup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2017 View Post
Is doing 100 push ups, under ten minutes good? I'm out of shape, working my way back. I never really exercised in the past , to lose or gain weight, I just did it with friends like; soccer, jujitsu, boxing, flag football, 24 hr fitness gym. I was in decent shape during this period of my life.

Now, I have a mental illness and my medications are weight gainers. But at one point I managed to lose like 15 pounds with eating less and healthy, with exercise, so I am shooting for that again. Thanks.....

I guess I don't know how to measure good. I'm 63 and rarely do pushups, but I lift weights. I can't do 100 good form consecutive pushups, but I'm sure I could do 100 good form pushups in less than 5 minutes.

Old 05-10-2018, 10:48 AM

2,633 posts, read 4,393,337 times
100-trivial for anybody in decent shape.

100 consecutive-ah, now thatís a totally different story.

Old 05-10-2018, 11:59 AM

3,710 posts, read 6,714,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I also included paraplegics, people on chemo, and dying of AIDs!

No, have not been in a Walmart in years.

It is 100 in ten minutes, you do 10 every 20 seconds, rest for 40 seconds, not difficult. If someone cannot do this, then they are out of shape in my opinion.

But the OP did not say consecutive, just said 100 in ten minutes; you do ten every 20 seconds, rest for 40 seconds, repeat. I am sure a person within a month or two could accomplish this.

The OP stated "100 in ten minutes" that does not mean consecutive nor does not mean you cannot get up and walk around, just do 100 in ten minutes. All you need to do is ten every 20 seconds, rest for 40 seconds, repeat. It is not even close to being challenging.
Oh now that is so hilarious.

You do not live in the real world if you think it's "not even close to being challenging."

I realize you're amazingly fit and wonderful. But the muscle base needed to do 100 pushups, or even 10 pushups, is not common in the real world.
Most people couldn't care any more about doing a pushup than about the weather forecast on the moon. You need a certain amount of muscle base to do the easy-peezy 100 in 10 minutes.

Go out to the mall with 10 $100 bills and get a disinterested party to solicit 10 people at random and challenge them to do 100/10.
You will leave the mall with your $1000 intact.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:07 PM

3,189 posts, read 1,274,360 times
I don't think it's a good training program unless you're specifically training the push to be proficient at doing a lot of reps of push ups in a short period of time.

Do you plan on competing?

Also, with calisthenics, particularly with motions where you can do multiple reps if you are loose, you have to focus on internalizing intensity.

For example, when you do push ups, you should be intensely squeezing your lats together if you want to maximize the benefit you get from them in consideration of strength.

When it gets too easy or too difficult to comandeer the intensity necessary to make it difficult, you should switch to a more difficult form of the exercise.

Do push ups with one arm. Do push ups with one arm and one leg.

That's my 2c. You could do 100 push ups, but I think you're just spinning your wheels.

Last edited by Jobster; 05-10-2018 at 12:17 PM..

Old 05-10-2018, 12:10 PM

4,698 posts, read 3,219,036 times
lol, I guess I'm part of the elite pushup team then... I can crank out the first 40 in 40 seconds w/ good form.

Old 05-10-2018, 12:46 PM

2,795 posts, read 3,151,636 times
I'd say that very good.. I'm not sure how many I can do in 10min... Ok I set my timer I did 100 in 4 min, I did girl pushups .. Not bad for old gal~~~ LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness