U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2008, 02:38 PM

153 posts, read 403,904 times

Advertisements

So I have been doing a step class a couple times a week with an instructer whose nickname should be "squatzilla". Well the following days of the first few classes my muscles were very sore ( a good workout sore). So my question now is this, now that I am in better shape, my muscles are still a litte sore or strained the next day (but nothing like when I first started working out), Is it okay physically on your muscles to work out when they are a bit sore? I would like to up my step class up from 2x per week to 4x per week. Thanks for your thoughts!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 03:23 PM

471 posts, read 1,439,967 times
Oh, too funny about the squatzilla...

I do regular aerobics and step aerobics all the time (5-6 days a week at least 30min), and I feel sore on a regular basis. I think it's good for us. Repairing and building of muscle. And I think it means we are doing a variety of exercises so our muscles don't get used to the same stuff.

Of course if you are ever feeling injured, or on the verge of injury, than you should rest, take things down a notch.

This week my muscles are really burning. Lots of squats and lunges and I've added more weight for arm work. Feels good though.

Have fun in step class!

Old 03-27-2008, 03:53 PM

2,977 posts, read 5,861,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l.wilson View Post
So I have been doing a step class a couple times a week with an instructer whose nickname should be "squatzilla". Well the following days of the first few classes my muscles were very sore ( a good workout sore). So my question now is this, now that I am in better shape, my muscles are still a litte sore or strained the next day (but nothing like when I first started working out), Is it okay physically on your muscles to work out when they are a bit sore? I would like to up my step class up from 2x per week to 4x per week. Thanks for your thoughts!
Yes..Some restorative activity such as stretching, walking and even some light calisthenics will help.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:07 PM

471 posts, read 1,439,967 times
Good point. That stretching at the end is truly the icing on the cake, isn't it? Or should I use a different analogy, for those of us trying not to think of cake and such... I loooove the stretching...

Old 01-17-2009, 05:48 PM

1 posts, read 4,579 times
I started taking spin classes about 9 months ago and I really enjoy it. Unfortunately after I started doing 2 classes a week I develpoed a weird soreness in my butt. The pain occurs at the base of my tail bone (not to get too graphic, but right at the top of my crack). I feel it everytime I stand up out of the saddle ans sit down. It is more painful when I stand up and only lasts a few seconds. It also occurs when I stand up after sittinf in certain chairs. Iwould say it almost feels like ligament or tenden pulling. Maybe like something is inflamed. ANybody else experience this?

Old 01-19-2009, 02:51 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,556,550 times
Yes, you can still do your workouts as long as it's a very mild soreness.

Make damn sure they are muscles that are causing the soreness, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness