Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 02:07 PM

265 posts, read 238,948 times

Advertisements

I'm new to swimming. All I know is the freestyle and backstroke. Anyhow, I go the 24hr Fitness gym pool to get my swimming in. I think the length of the pool is the same in all the 24hr pools I been too. My question is how many laps should I be doing as a beginner? How many as intermediate, and how many advance?
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 04:33 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,590,136 times
No ideal~ Runner myself.. I kill at swimming... I'm not graceful or coordinated at all, my arms and legs just don't work together as a team! .... I can doggie paddle and side stroke, otherwise I'm screwed! .. But I'll give you a great laugh~~~

Old 06-07-2018, 06:50 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,912,350 times
I think the first two words of Wild Card's post are your answer. "No ideal."

It's different for each individual. You'd be best off doing what you'd do when just starting with any exercise. Experiment a little until you discover the level that works best for you at present. Find the combination of distance and intensity that leaves you feeling as if you've had a decent workout, but does not leave you barely able to move afterward. Then gradually progress from there.

Last edited by ogre; 06-07-2018 at 07:42 PM..

Old 06-08-2018, 06:15 AM

5,278 posts, read 6,210,635 times
I agree with Ogre that your goal should be progress not some set metric.

Do however many laps you can do well. The good thing about swimming is that you can swim a couple of lengths, stop and rest, and then swim a couple of more. As you get better you can start alternating lengths or strokes. Then start using a paddle board to swim with just arms and those weird leg floats between the thighs for just arms.

Somewhere along the way it might be useful to see if you can sign up for a couple of sessions with a coach to work on form, stroke, turns and the like. If you swim better you will also swim more efficiently and have a better work out.

Old 06-08-2018, 06:25 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,216,228 times
Shouldn't time at a specific heart rate be your goal like all exercise? Laps in an of themselves don't matter.
I think you should be swimming for at least 30 minutes just like walking.
If you can't do 30 minutes straight, take a short break between laps then keep going.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:20 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times
Here is a "couch to 5k" type build I found when looking around the internet one day.

0to1650

You could look up the length of the pool, but most gyms have a pool in the 25 yard/meter range. The Axiom I go to is like 23.6 meters, but it is close enough to just round off and call it 25 for the average user. So a "25" equals one length of the pool, and a "50" equals one lap.

Old 06-11-2018, 07:45 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
If they have a Masters swimming class sign up for it. They are great for learning new strokes, perfecting them, and getting the most out of your swim.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Shouldn't time at a specific heart rate be your goal like all exercise? Laps in an of themselves don't matter.
I think you should be swimming for at least 30 minutes just like walking.
If you can't do 30 minutes straight, take a short break between laps then keep going.
I used to be a swimmer in previous life and I so not think I ever swam for 30 minutes straight. Even when I swam a full mile to work on breathing/turns/endurance twice a week that was only a low 20 something minute number. Usually you swim a warm-up and start swimming intervals of different lengths or different strokes.

Old 06-18-2018, 04:17 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
I used to be a swimmer in previous life and I so not think I ever swam for 30 minutes straight. Even when I swam a full mile to work on breathing/turns/endurance twice a week that was only a low 20 something minute number. Usually you swim a warm-up and start swimming intervals of different lengths or different strokes.

A mile in under 25 minutes? You are really fast. Seriously, that isn't Olympic speed, but it is definitely much faster than average, and much much faster than a beginner is going to be. That's nice that you are that fast, but it isn't really helpful for beginners. Most beginners take 45 minutes or more to swim a mile. When I started, the first time I reached a mile, it took 55 minutes. Even after I'd been doing it for a few months at 3 times a week, I only got down to about 45 minutes.

For the average beginner, working up to being able to swim for 30 minutes straight is a good first goal.

Old 06-20-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
A mile in under 25 minutes? You are really fast. Seriously, that isn't Olympic speed, but it is definitely much faster than average, and much much faster than a beginner is going to be. That's nice that you are that fast, but it isn't really helpful for beginners. Most beginners take 45 minutes or more to swim a mile. When I started, the first time I reached a mile, it took 55 minutes. Even after I'd been doing it for a few months at 3 times a week, I only got down to about 45 minutes.

For the average beginner, working up to being able to swim for 30 minutes straight is a good first goal.
I think I was once down to 21 minutes but that was a moment in time when swimming as my main sport. IIRC a national level swimmer would have been at 16 and it wasn't a length used for international competition back then. Needless to say I wouldn't hit that pace now and was nothing more than a decent/good high school swimmer then.

I do not see someone who is not already into swimming or in OK shape doing a full mile without breaks. I am not sure of a benefit to swimming a full mile instead of multiple increments. I was not a distance swimmer- I used it more to get my breathing and turns in order since it meant maintaining stamina, alternate breathing and working turns from being fresh through being fatigued. My main swimming workout would have consisted of different intervals and strokes with 800 probably being the highest distance.

The other issue is that unlike running or biking no one is going to get tired and slow their speed or catch a breather mid lap. So doing multiple 200m or 100m intervals would let someone hit a decent pace for their ability, rest and try to do another interval at a decent pace. It would also let them maintain their stroke. I like your idea of simply working toward a half hour swim but thing breaking that up in to parts would a decent strategy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness