Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 10:17 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,677,330 times

Advertisements

As a nearly middle-aged man, I don't lift weights to look good. In fact, my primary love is for running. I've loved it all my life and when I was younger saw no need to lift weights or do any other exercise besides run. However, as I got older I saw that any kind of weight-lifting in general did not hurt my running, it only enhanced it. Being lean and ripped for me has only helped me in other athletic endeavors. There is no easier way to do this than lifting some weights.

Given that, the old complicated system of breaking up body parts and planning out days is just garbage. I break it up into upper body, legs and abs. If you do 2 days a week upper body, and 1-2 days legs, you will see tremendous gains in overall fitness. Throw abs in whenever you feel like it, 2-3 times per week.

I have one bar and that's it. I do barbell curls, overhead presses in front and behind the back, and push-ups. I run around a park that has monkey bars and do chin-ups a couple times a week. I do weights to increase testosterone, muscle density, raise metabolism, and protect from injury while running. None of it is to look good.

Last edited by TXRunner; 07-19-2018 at 11:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 11:18 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,642,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Depending on the altitude, that may be *quite* difficult. I've lived up in the Rockies and just walking is a real challenge, I can't imagine stopping, dropping and trying to do pushups. It's like breathing through a straw after a certain level.

I hiked on the weekends and did the gym thing during the week (lifting/cardio) in my many years living in the mountains. Both had the benefits you described, although you left off one very important one: mental health. For me, lifting weights gets me in such a better mood and more motivated throughout the day. Hiking had similar effects, nothing quite like being at a summit by yourself surrounded by Mother Nature in every direction.
I know what you mean. I lived in Colorado for four years and was a mountain runner. I made it up Longs Peak in less than three hours with a heavy backback - I ran up to the keyhole. But the job market crashed in 2001, and I had to move to Florida in 2002. I was there for about 14 years.

Aggressive mountain running and hiking are great when young. Back then I used to hike with 10 lb leg weights to make me faster. It worked. I used to play rec center basketball at CU Boulder and a lot of guys hated guarding me because I ran too much.

But when I moved to FL after a few years I tore my knee. Then some years later I tore my calf. I learned to be moderate in middle age. I only hike on weekends since moving back to Phoenix over a year ago. I hike up Piestewa Peak - much smaller than the "14ers" of Colorado but still great exercise. I no longer hike with 10 lb leg weights, hence, I am much slower than 20 years ago on those same trails of my mountain running prime. But I can still do the distance. Hiking intensity just has to be scaled back in middle age.

There were no mountains to hike in FL. I had to drive 7 hours from Tallahassee to get to the Appalachian "Mountains" - hills compared to Longs Peak LOL. I do low intensity, low-impact cardio about six days a week on the bike or elliptical machine then do the local hike. I still run half marathons in the winter and occasional basketball. But everything is scaled back now for me in middle-age compared to the late 1990s. Father time eventually catches up to the mountain runners.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:58 PM

4,253 posts, read 3,173,683 times
I've found hiking/climbing to be great. Wish I'd gotten into it earlier as I didn't start until my mid-50's. Long's peak is a bear and 3 hours to the keyhole is impressive but that is just where the fun begins! Was there last year ....at 65. Heading to Glacier for some hiking and climbing this week. That said, I lift on a regular basis as hiking does not give one a full body workout.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:04 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,239,343 times
Hiking is great. I do it at least once a week--I also get outside and kayak, etc, along with fasted gym cardio. However, I still throw in at least two upper body sessions (either with weights or resistance bands) and two Lagree classes (which are weighted) a week. You gotta work it from all angles, to stay fully healthy.

Old 07-27-2018, 12:27 AM

21,863 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
I'm pretty sure that several people will stop in to say that they work out for themselves - don't give a d^^n what others think. Good for them. I still suspect that many, many people lift weights largely for cosmetic reasons.

Working out is good for strength, co-ordination, bone density, confidence, posture and appearances. OK, those are all great reasons to work out. Depending on the work-out, other gains may be realized. Perhaps I should re-consider?

Hiking is good for leg strength, endurance, co-ordination, blood pressure, and bone density. It is my choice because my dogs absolutely love it. Plus it is more convenient since the drive is shorter. The closest gym is 16 miles of mostly washboard roads.

It kind of all goes back to the old "cardiovascular vs size and/or strength".
Don't go to a gym. I don't. Garage sales are full of old exercise equipment. Picked up a bench, squat rack, weights, and a set of dumbbells for cheap. You don't even need that. I used bands when I was on the road frequently for work. Came in handy, some hotels have a basic gym in them others do not. I prefer free weights to bands but it's not like you can't get a decent workout with just body weight. Bands are an extra step up and good for light/medium resistance work. You can't go really heavy with them but honestly there aren't really health benefits for going really heavy anyway. Most guys do it more for a mixture of vanity and because they like to be physically strong. I doubt there's any health benefits to being able to bench press 300 pounds over 200 or squat 450 instead of 300.

Hiking is fairly poor as a form of exercise. Any exercise is great but unless it's high altitude on an incline I'm not going to get my heart rate up enough to really be cardiovascular exercise. Same with walking. That doesn't mean walking isn't good, it's just a poor form of exercise above a very minimal level of fitness. You can get better bang for your time buck with higher intensity rather than spending six hours a day walking. I hike because I enjoy hiking.

Old 07-27-2018, 12:39 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
We hike quite a bit for the same reason you do, to take the dogs for exercise.

But hiking never gives me the cardio or strength benefits that a gym does. My muscles are never as fatigued, I don't sweat as much, and don't breathe as heavily.

Sure I exercise to look good, and so does my husband, but we also do it for health reasons.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-27-2018, 07:21 AM

9,383 posts, read 8,356,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
I know what you mean. I lived in Colorado for four years and was a mountain runner. I made it up Longs Peak in less than three hours with a heavy backback - I ran up to the keyhole. But the job market crashed in 2001, and I had to move to Florida in 2002. I was there for about 14 years.

Aggressive mountain running and hiking are great when young. Back then I used to hike with 10 lb leg weights to make me faster. It worked. I used to play rec center basketball at CU Boulder and a lot of guys hated guarding me because I ran too much.

But when I moved to FL after a few years I tore my knee. Then some years later I tore my calf. I learned to be moderate in middle age. I only hike on weekends since moving back to Phoenix over a year ago. I hike up Piestewa Peak - much smaller than the "14ers" of Colorado but still great exercise. I no longer hike with 10 lb leg weights, hence, I am much slower than 20 years ago on those same trails of my mountain running prime. But I can still do the distance. Hiking intensity just has to be scaled back in middle age.

There were no mountains to hike in FL. I had to drive 7 hours from Tallahassee to get to the Appalachian "Mountains" - hills compared to Longs Peak LOL. I do low intensity, low-impact cardio about six days a week on the bike or elliptical machine then do the local hike. I still run half marathons in the winter and occasional basketball. But everything is scaled back now for me in middle-age compared to the late 1990s. Father time eventually catches up to the mountain runners.
You ran up Long Peak??? I'm speechless! Even at my peak form I'm not sure I could walk continuously to the keyhole without stopping several times to catch my breath. Bravo.

Hiking at that incline is really terrible on your knees and feet. Not so much the hike up but the climb back down. Many times I'd get back from a long hike and could hardly walk for a few days.

When I think of "hiking" I immediately assume climbing in altitude. That may be from living in the mountains so many years. Personally, that was a great workout for me. I'd be absolutely exhausted after a few hours going up and then back down. Tons of calories burned as your heart rate is almost continuously rapid. In fact, the night before a long hike I'd try and gorge on a huge pasta meal to try and load up on carbs/calories as much as possible for energy.....and still I never felt like it was enough.

I do miss my mountain hikes with my dog (now deceased). Walking on the beach is pretty cool too though and can actually be challenging when it's soft sand.

Old 07-27-2018, 12:53 PM

21,863 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
You ran up Long Peak??? I'm speechless! Even at my peak form I'm not sure I could walk continuously to the keyhole without stopping several times to catch my breath. Bravo.

Hiking at that incline is really terrible on your knees and feet. Not so much the hike up but the climb back down. Many times I'd get back from a long hike and could hardly walk for a few days.

When I think of "hiking" I immediately assume climbing in altitude. That may be from living in the mountains so many years. Personally, that was a great workout for me. I'd be absolutely exhausted after a few hours going up and then back down. Tons of calories burned as your heart rate is almost continuously rapid. In fact, the night before a long hike I'd try and gorge on a huge pasta meal to try and load up on carbs/calories as much as possible for energy.....and still I never felt like it was enough.

I do miss my mountain hikes with my dog (now deceased). Walking on the beach is pretty cool too though and can actually be challenging when it's soft sand.
I'd love to do Keyhole... as a hike or Pike Peak as a bike ride. Toughest hike I've done is Mount Whitney, 22 miles out and back 7,000 feet of elevation gain. I failed on it miserably as a day hike and got altitude sickness. Made it to Trail Camp, which is a damn zoo, and went back down to around Consultation Lake so it turned into a two-day hike. It's still on my bucket list for a day hike, next time I won't try and drive up to Whitney Portal the day of though.

Last edited by Malloric; 07-27-2018 at 01:06 PM..

Old 07-27-2018, 01:38 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Don't go to a gym. I don't. Garage sales are full of old exercise equipment. Picked up a bench, squat rack, weights, and a set of dumbbells for cheap. You don't even need that. I used bands when I was on the road frequently for work. Came in handy, some hotels have a basic gym in them others do not. I prefer free weights to bands but it's not like you can't get a decent workout with just body weight. Bands are an extra step up and good for light/medium resistance work. You can't go really heavy with them but honestly there aren't really health benefits for going really heavy anyway. Most guys do it more for a mixture of vanity and because they like to be physically strong. I doubt there's any health benefits to being able to bench press 300 pounds over 200 or squat 450 instead of 300.

Hiking is fairly poor as a form of exercise. Any exercise is great but unless it's high altitude on an incline I'm not going to get my heart rate up enough to really be cardiovascular exercise. Same with walking. That doesn't mean walking isn't good, it's just a poor form of exercise above a very minimal level of fitness. You can get better bang for your time buck with higher intensity rather than spending six hours a day walking. I hike because I enjoy hiking.
Not everyone wants to get better bang for their time buck... I have foot arthritis so anything that is high impact is not good for my feet. I’ve gone on a few hikes with people who do all sorts of activities like marathons, Ragnars, iron man, and then they come to the hike and are surprised at how tired they get. The group I go with tends to do it at a fairly brisk pace, so it will keep your heart rate up. I am not in a state with huge inclines (also not the best for my feet) but with some moderate level of incline is good. Even walking at a fast pace can increase your cardiovascular fitness.

Old 07-27-2018, 01:44 PM

9,383 posts, read 8,356,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
I'd love to do Keyhole... as a hike or Pike Peak as a bike ride. Toughest hike I've done is Mount Whitney, 22 miles out and back 7,000 feet of elevation gain. I failed on it miserably as a day hike and got altitude sickness. Made it to Trail Camp, which is a damn zoo, and went back down to around Consultation Lake so it turned into a two-day hike. It's still on my bucket list for a day hike, next time I won't try and drive up to Whitney Portal the day of though.
I lived in altitude so I was already acclimated, but the trick to doing those hikes is to get there a few days early so that your body will acclimate at least somewhat to the altitude and lack of O2.

A lot of people do the 14ers in CO like Longs Peak but if you REALLY want a great hike there are tons of great 13,000 foot hikes that are just as challenging and just as beautiful at the summit, with literally 90% less foot traffic. It took me a few years of living there to figure that out but on the advice of a co-worker a friend and I hiked Mt. Argentine outside of Georgetown and I think we saw maaaaybe 2 or 3 other people in our 6 hours there.

I despise crowds, especially when I'm up on a mountain looking to enjoy the day. At at lot of those 14ers you'll have huge groups of people either going too slow or too fast (worse) which sort of ruins the experience for you. I know some people have their bucket list and want to do all 14ers but if you truly want a great hike with minimal people around, try a 13er instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness