Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 08:48 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times

Advertisements

Not unlike keeping Kosher, if you feel strongly about this you might have a leg to stand on if you wanted them to store their animal products apart from yours or not use your cookware or dishes to cook and eat, but like everyone has said, you can't tell people what to eat in their own home.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 07-20-2018 at 08:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 08:54 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijinendra View Post
Being a vegan, how can I convince my non-vegetarian roommates not to cook non-vegetarian food in the house? I don't want to be rude, but since they are in the majority(2 vs 1) I am kind of in a weird situation of how to ask them to not cook nonveg in the house.
you dont. you cook what you want and they cook what they want.

this question seems ridiculous enough that the OP may just be trolling.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:18 AM

2,415 posts, read 4,246,575 times
Quote:
Being a vegan, how can I convince my non-vegetarian roommates not to cook non-vegetarian food in the house? I don't want to be rude, but since they are in the majority(2 vs 1) I am kind of in a weird situation of how to ask them to not cook nonveg in the house.
Simple, move.

SS

Old 07-20-2018, 10:26 AM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
You can't, they have a right to eat what they want, too. Where on earth do you expect them to cook??

Old 07-20-2018, 10:43 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Exactly.

What's sad is that anti-vegans here are so eager to latch onto anything to suit their narrative, that they blindly ignore the obvious, that these types of threads are created by non vegans to specifically bait vegans and stir up the anti-vegan crowd.

A preschool kid can see through the act.

This is like the fourth such thread in the past several months. For those still clueless, let me give you a simple hint. Anytime someone creates a thread asking how they as 'vegans' can convince their family, friends, roommates, to stop eating meat, chances are it's nothing but a bait attempt.
Even if OP is just trolling, think about why it is so effective. It's because his post reminds us of vegans we've actually met along the way. It's not at all far fetched to believe a vegan would be so arrogant as to expect his roommates to alter their lifestyles to accommodate him. You always have to be careful not to assume stereotypes, but then again a lot of stereotypes exist for a reason. The vegan crowd has invited a lot of cynicism on themselves for the cult-like manner in which they practice their chosen religion.

I once heard a joke. A crossfitter, an atheist and a vegan all walk into a bar together and within 5 minutes everyone knew...because they told everyone...

Old 07-20-2018, 10:58 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
You don’t have that right to ask them. They have just as much right to eat whatever food they want as you do to be a vegan.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:07 AM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
Lol @ this thread.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:22 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
My son's best friend is married to a vegan and she won't even allow animal products to be brought into their house, even if it is a guest. This is why so many people think vegans are giant PITA's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
Does she forbid leather shoes or wallets inside as well?
Good point.

When my daughter was a vegan, I was shocked how many common things contained animal parts, not just many, many food items. Even plastic bags, plywood, condoms, fireworks, finger nail polish, tools, paint, tooth paste, shampoo, crayons, deodorant, tires, computers, use animal parts.

I wonder if your son's vegan friend, who pretends to be so strict, refuses to ride in a car or live in a house that has plywood or paint or use a computer or other plastic items such as a TV?
I bet the answer is "No", and in that case she is a hypocrite.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:26 AM

3,888 posts, read 4,542,046 times
If some roomie tried telling me what not to cook in a kitchen I was paying rent for cause they were a vegan, you could bet I'd be cooking blood rare meat every day.

Old 07-20-2018, 11:26 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
My daughter is vegan. I just met her new boyfriend, a chef. One of his tats says "foie gras". I found it amusing that she is dating a guy who eat and cooks meat AND has a tattoo of a food that is obtained by probably one of the most abusive methods of feeding an animal. She said they have an understanding that they will never have conversations about meat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness