Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 06:50 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,066,827 times

Advertisements

What do you mean by 'maintenance level'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 07:02 PM

1,203 posts, read 835,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
What do you mean by 'maintenance level'?
You have a specific amount of caloric intake that will not cause you to gain or lose weight based on normal activity. It's starts with your Basal Metabolic Rate, which is the calories your body needs at rest. Then if you add calories needed for "normal" daily activity, that would be your maintenance level. So someone that was a construction worker vs someone at a computer all day will have different activity levels. When you get into weight loss, you're essentially trying to put yourself in a slight deficit from that normal level plus your exercise. So if your maintenance level was 2000 calories and you burnt 300 calories through exercise, you would need 2300 calories to remain exactly where you are. If you took in 2050, that would put you in a caloric deficit of 250 calories. Over the course of a week, you would be in a deficit of 1750 calories and that would equate to a 1/2 lb weight loss (3500 calories is 1 lb). What tech guy was implying was he was in a deficit 17,500 calories (5lbs x 3500 = 17,500 calories). You would be safer looking at 1/2 to 1 lb per week. That the type of strategy that is much more practical. I assume you're trying to make a life change and not some instant gratification nonsense that is unsustainable over the long run.

Old 07-23-2018, 05:59 AM

4,043 posts, read 3,769,668 times
HIIT and circuit training. But like another poster said, you should stretch and warm-up. Exercising without warming up could cause future issues. Spend about an hour on the weekends, really concentrating on your workout and then pick two days of the week to do shorter workouts. I also like intermittent fasting.

Old 07-23-2018, 06:14 AM

927 posts, read 968,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I am having difficulty with insomnia, and I also wanted to loose weight. I was told to exercise more, obviously as a solution, and I should shoot for at least an hour a day. But a lot of times my days get busy with work and all, and it's hard to make at least an hour of time to do that.

Is there any way I can exercise harder and not longer? Like get two hours worth of exercise, in just maybe 20-30 minutes if I can push myself to exercise a lot harder? I tried doing this but I just end up getting more tired, but I see other people able to push themselves harder than me, so is there anything I can do to burn the most calories and wear myself out for the day to get a goodnight's sleep, but do it much faster, rather than longer?
My suggestion, focus on calorie (20% calorie deficit)consumption first! Next, exercise consistently never in excess, mix of weight training 40 minutes 3x a week and cardio 20 minutes a day everyday with 2 days off a week. Look at a website named "Scoobies Workshop," I lost 30 pounds doing this. At 56, I am in great shape.

Old 07-23-2018, 04:32 PM

Okay thanks. It's very difficult to make that much time for exercise though, since I work two jobs. Does anyone have any advice on how they do make that much time?

Old 07-23-2018, 06:15 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,306,322 times
I think you have to find short times throughout your day with one 30min session somewhere. If you move your body on a regular basis it will respond and it will get easier.

Old 07-23-2018, 06:43 PM

Yeah I move around a lot on my first job, which is a physical job, but then my second job in the day is a desk/computer job...

Old 07-24-2018, 02:39 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,997,765 times
Five things:

Read a good book before bed...something relaxing to calm your brain down

Eat healthy by tracking the foods you eat (perhaps get a food scale for accurate measurements)

Mix steady-state (at least 30 to 60 mins) cardio with higher intensity/HIIT workouts

Lift weights - whether you're using a machine or doing free weight exercises, if you can do more than 10 reps of a given exercise, increase the weight. I usually stick to 5 to 8 reps but 10 should probably be the max. Don't forget to try out dips, pullups and push ups.

In addition to tracking your weight, watch your waistline. If you waistline drops a couple of inches, that's just as good as losing 15 lbs...typically the two go hand in hand though, especially when you're on a cut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness