Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 08:34 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,906,197 times

Advertisements

I've always done a sport pretty seriously. I swam, and ride horses (grew up around them--some family are professionals), did Aikido for about 11 years with some Krav Maga. But I saw several elderly women on YouTube that lift and I'm wanting to do it. I have some 4, 5 and 10 lb. barbells I use for fun (after reading Strong Women Stay Young, many years ago), but really don't know anything. I may be able to find a trainer in my community but don't really know if there are any.

So, as a matter of common knowledge, what are the usual steps to get started? I'd like to know the usual progression of steps. And maybe some books to read?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2018, 08:22 AM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times
What Is The Best Workout For People Over 60?

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/meet-rayca/

Old 08-22-2018, 08:42 AM

Thanks! Interesting that they draw a distinction between weightlifting and bodybuilding.

Old 08-22-2018, 08:52 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
That is an excellent article. I too, am a 68 y.o. female, and I pretty much do the workout they suggested. In the section on what to avoid - I 100% agree! I have injured myself repeatedly in the past attempting some of those moves - and it caused problems that cause me issues to this day. I am lucky in that I was not sidelined permanently. All it takes is one bad move.

Old 08-22-2018, 12:47 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Go with the aworkoutroutine.com article. I was surprised that the bodybuilding.com article was so bad. Virtually everything in the bodybuilding.com article is wrong. I'm 63 and one of the stronger people in the gym where I work out. The BB article treats people over 60 like they should all be riding a scooter at Walmart. My advice to a woman is to work out like men. My advice for people over 60 is to work out the same as younger people. Your body will tell you what you should avoid. Watch your form; this is the biggest issue most people have when they are lifting weights. Use free weights as much as possible. Your workout should be built around free weights and supplement with machines.

Old 08-22-2018, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Go with the aworkoutroutine.com article. I was surprised that the bodybuilding.com article was so bad. Virtually everything in the bodybuilding.com article is wrong. I'm 63 and one of the stronger people in the gym where I work out. The BB article treats people over 60 like they should all be riding a scooter at Walmart. My advice to a woman is to work out like men. My advice for people over 60 is to work out the same as younger people. Your body will tell you what you should avoid. Watch your form; this is the biggest issue most people have when they are lifting weights. Use free weights as much as possible. Your workout should be built around free weights and supplement with machines.
What's the difference between weightlifting and bodybuilding?

The Difference of Weightlifting, Bodybuilding and Powerlifting?
http://www.omahabarbell.com/misc/wha...-powerlifting/

Is this accurate?

Old 08-22-2018, 01:39 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
What's the difference between weightlifting and bodybuilding?
It is semantics. Most people would say that the term weightlifting means you are focusing on strength and fitness. Bodybuilding means you are lifting weights to focus on making your body more muscular. For a beginner and most people in general, it doesn't matter.

To be a little more specific, if my focus is getting as strong as possible, I will lift heavier weights for lower repetitions (1-5). A bodybuilder will use lighter weight and do 6-12 reps. If I'm focusing on strength, I my not do many bicep curls, wrist curls, triceps pushdowns, and ab work. Those are more cosmetic or bodybuilding exercises.

Old 08-22-2018, 01:51 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
This.

I started actively lifting in my 40s and it's great. In fact, I think strength training is especially valuable as we age! So good on you for doing this.

Your body will be your guide as to what you can do, so pay attention to it. Make sure you always have proper form. I'm a woman, and the workouts I do guys do as well. I also don't do any workouts tailored for "older people". Again, my body's my guide as to what it can take.

Old 08-22-2018, 02:24 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
I also started back to the gym last month. I am 63, recently lost about 20 pounds and want to firm up and strengthen my body. I do 3 sets of 12 on the machines but I started with low weights and have gradually worked up to higher weights. I use the machines mostly, and I do 30 minutes of cardio first and 5 minutes when I'm done with the weights. Then I get on the hydro massage bed (best 10 minutes of my day). This is my fourth week so I'm not seeing amazing results yet but I feel better physically, mentally and emotionally.

Make sure you warm up. I didn't follow my own advice yesterday. Only spent 2 minutes walking on the treadmill before I bumped up the speed and started running. My sciatica nerve is not happy with me. I've done the ice, then the heating pad, even a TENS unit and I'm still in pain. I've learned my lesson.

Old 08-22-2018, 05:57 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
Don't injure yourself. Work with range of motion and light weights first. That's two to five pounds. You don't want to injure yourself. Get a bone density test. You don't want find that you have osteoporosis after you have a fracture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness