Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 01:22 PM

5,247 posts, read 6,167,743 times

Advertisements

For comparison- I am older than the OP. I was told to specifically increase my strength training when I went through a wellness program at the local Medical University. They also said yoga would not suffice as the only form of strength work. The main doctor, dietician and exercise psychologist all stressed that this is the age when muscle mass becomes more important rather than less. So diet and activities needed to reflect that.

In some cases weight training can actually be lower weight that actual bodyweight exercise. And even a simple routine body weight exercises, holds and tension bands can yield strength. I go to yoga regularly and there are times when the more difficult positions, holding simple positions or flowing leaves as spent as time in the gym. So I have to agree with the others that there must be something else in the background that we are not hearing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 03:33 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,895,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshotbob99 View Post
So I've worked out my whole life, doing a mix of hockey and light weightlifting/calisthenics. The last few years I quit hockey but still do some light weights/pushups/pullups etc. a couple times per week.

I've developed a few bad joints. (but not that you could directly attribute to the exercises. They started to hurt when I was doing other things.) The shoulder doctor said that "at your age" people shouldn't be doing ANY weights or pushups anymore. I should just be doing cardio/swimming/yoga. Another doctor was horrified that I was deadlifting 100 lbs once or twice a week for reps. I thought I was being extremely conservative. I feel like I need to keep up a minimum of strength and muscle tone because I sit at a desk all day long.

I thought most guys can keep doing the basics a couple times per week until at least their 50s. Any advice?

Thanks.
Many doctors are surprisingly out of touch. Hell, look at how many still use BMI. Strength training has been shown to be one of the single most beneficial activities a person can do. Much more so than straight cardio. Just be careful. I am 42, an strength train regularly. I have no intention of slowing down. I also had multiple back surgeries when I was younger due to a car accident. Know what got me back to normal faster than all the other crap the doctors suggested? Yep, strength training. The key is *be careful and methodical*. At my local gym I see several guy easily 65+ who look fitter than most teenagers. Good for them!

Old 09-04-2018, 07:29 PM

10,305 posts, read 10,553,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Many doctors are surprisingly out of touch. Hell, look at how many still use BMI. Strength training has been shown to be one of the single most beneficial activities a person can do. Much more so than straight cardio. Just be careful. I am 42, an strength train regularly. I have no intention of slowing down. I also had multiple back surgeries when I was younger due to a car accident. Know what got me back to normal faster than all the other crap the doctors suggested? Yep, strength training. The key is *be careful and methodical*. At my local gym I see several guy easily 65+ who look fitter than most teenagers. Good for them!
I agree that many doctors are surprisingly out of touch with anything to do with fitness. I had a personal care physician like that. He was about 8 inches shorter than me and about 90 lbs. heavier. He was amazed that I was older than him and in so much better shape. Many doctors don't take the time to take care of themselves. They also spend most of their time time dealing with mostly older and chronically ill patients.

I wouldn't be so critical of BMI. It is a measurement for the overall population. Most people who lift weights know that it is not an accurate measurement of someone who is fairly muscular. It works fine as a broad measurement of a large population.

I'm curious how you came up with the statement that, "Strength training has been shown to be one of the single most beneficial activities a person can do." My take is the average person is more likely to suffer from cardiovascular disease. Cardiovascular disease is the leading cause of death for both men and women resulting in 1 in 4 deaths in this country. Cardiovascular or aerobic steady physical activity using large muscle groups. This type of exercise strengthens the heart and lungs and improves the body's ability to use oxygen.

For the past 24 years I have lifted weights and did a good bit of running. My running has virtually disappeared over the past few years because of a torn meniscus. I've continued to lift weights including squats, deadlifts, bench press, pullups, weighted dips, etc. I feel like I'm in the worst shape of my life even though I'm as strong as I ever was.

Old 09-04-2018, 07:59 PM

28,593 posts, read 18,629,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I agree that many doctors are surprisingly out of touch with anything to do with fitness. I had a personal care physician like that. He was about 8 inches shorter than me and about 90 lbs. heavier. He was amazed that I was older than him and in so much better shape. Many doctors don't take the time to take care of themselves. They also spend most of their time time dealing with mostly older and chronically ill patients.
Well, my doctor does MMA as a physical fitness hobby, so he, at least is up on those kinds of things.

I guess "do no harm" for him stops at the mat. One time when he prescribed something for me for a deep bruise, he mentioned it's what he uses when he's kicked someone too hard in the face and bruised his foot.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:09 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,619,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Don't knock yoga/Pilates, it's actually pretty strenuous and when done in a hot room you sweat like crazy.

I had tennis elbow and also had developed some other tendinitis issues from running. I have significantly cut back on exercising with reps. I now run once a week only. Keep in mind I can do 25+ pull/chin-ups, 60+ push-ups, etc, can run 3 miles in 20 minutes but now at 37 have noticed degradation in my body. The only weights I pick up are for lunges, everything else is body weight.

I think there is truth to moderation and people you see killing themselves to be in tip-top shape will start paying for it with significantly increased body wear.

I started doing Pilates with my wife a few months ago and was seriously impressed by the strength required to do it correctly - I guarantee you that those who do it several times a week are in better shape with better muscle tone and less body damage than those who consistently lift repetitive weights and run. Combined with some body weight exercises and light cardio I now feel it's the most sustainable form of continuing exercise.
A friend is dealing with complications from knee replacement and shoulder replacement and says other other knee is bad....says all from weight lifting and squats....not smart. Torturing the body.

Old 09-05-2018, 02:33 PM

10,305 posts, read 10,553,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
A friend is dealing with complications from knee replacement and shoulder replacement and says other other knee is bad....says all from weight lifting and squats....not smart. Torturing the body.
Well, I guess your scientific evidence proves your point.

Old 09-05-2018, 03:05 PM

674 posts, read 603,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Well, I guess your scientific evidence proves your point.
Well, the cousin twice-removed of my niece's daughter's best friend got food poisoning from eating sushi. My wife told me we should stop eating fish. I said she can stop, and I will eat her portion.

Old 09-05-2018, 08:17 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,007,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Because his weights are too heavy for him. No mystery there.

Old 09-05-2018, 09:47 PM

4,166 posts, read 2,538,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyInFairfax View Post
Because his weights are too heavy for him. No mystery there.
Yep, the joints, and ligaments are the weak links. The muscles may be strong enough to move a certain weight, but not those others. Also muscles can tear at the attachments.

Old 09-05-2018, 10:10 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,007,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Yep, the joints, and ligaments are the weak links. The muscles may be strong enough to move a certain weight, but not those others. Also muscles can tear at the attachments.
Agreed. I never made significant gains with heavier weights. If anything, I un-did previous ones. Any soreness in wrists, knees, shoulders or lower back told me the weights were too heavy. Reverting back to lighter weights, and doing more reps in a shorter time span, has been the most effective way for me to make gains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness