Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 12:20 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,464,853 times

Advertisements

Yep, didn't think that it would happen, but it's happening. I'm starting to lose motivation with lifting after doing it for over two years. Stopped really setting goals.

Two months ago I resigned to pursue another, more challenging opportunity. There's lots of upside, but also downside in that as a member of a two person team I am very busy and stressed much of the time. I love my job, but the reality is that it was stressful when I had lots of departments/people available to me but even more so when all of that is gone and it's just me essentially.

I try to get a workout in during my usual times, but I only have enough time to do cardio. I try to do lifting on the weekends but I'm really wanting to spend more time with my family. They've sacrificed some of their time so that I can lift in the evenings. I work usually from 9ish-6, but there's a one hr. commute, leaving me not a lot of time.

I started lifting in 2016 as part of my weight loss plan. While diet was a big part of the equation, I lost over 70 lbs due to a combo of diet and working out. Lifting made me stronger and develop more muscle mass, so the weight reduction was mostly fat not muscle. Moreover, lifting really gave my body shape and definition and for the first time in ten years and two pregnancies, I looked frikken awesome. I cant articulate fully the happiness it had to not only get my body back from the clutches of obesity but to actually look even better. For the first time, I was FIT. All of this at forty plus years old. This transformation will always be something dear to me.

But with life and everything, I just find myself going through the motions lifting wise. I really feel like quitting lately and just going home. I don't care for cardio, but I'll probably keep doing that for the heart. It probably keeps my weight in check too since I am sweating up a storm.

The fire is starting to extinguish and that makes me sad....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 12:32 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,812,041 times
Why not cut the cardio back? Or combine by doing circuits that keep the heart rate up while lifting?
I have hired trainers at my gym to give me new stuff to do in order to keep me interested and challenged. One trainer showed me a way to get a dynamite workout in a very short period of time by combining moves.
Can you run from home? Or hike? Then devote gym time to lifting.
I think we all experience burn out at some point, but remember this. It doesn't take long to lose what all that hard work achieved, especially as a women.

Old 09-25-2018, 01:27 PM

9,374 posts, read 8,342,991 times
It sounds like you may be reaching for reasons to quit working out. Remember, if you don't have your health you have NOTHING. So work, family, etc. is meaningless if you're not healthy enough to enjoy them.

Find the time. Make that your priority. You really want to lose all that muscle and re-gain that weight that you worked so hard to achieve?

Join a class. Hire a trainer. Do what you need to do in order to stay motivated, even if that means hiring someone to help you.

Old 09-25-2018, 01:48 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,464,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Why not cut the cardio back? Or combine by doing circuits that keep the heart rate up while lifting?
I have hired trainers at my gym to give me new stuff to do in order to keep me interested and challenged. One trainer showed me a way to get a dynamite workout in a very short period of time by combining moves.
Can you run from home? Or hike? Then devote gym time to lifting.
I think we all experience burn out at some point, but remember this. It doesn't take long to lose what all that hard work achieved, especially as a women.
Yeah, don't I know it. Don't really have the space in our home for fitness equipment, despite having a 3700 sq ft house. I'm not really suited for home workouts either. If anything, going to the gym has kept me accountable. I have a trainer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
It sounds like you may be reaching for reasons to quit working out. Remember, if you don't have your health you have NOTHING. So work, family, etc. is meaningless if you're not healthy enough to enjoy them.

Find the time. Make that your priority. You really want to lose all that muscle and re-gain that weight that you worked so hard to achieve?

Join a class. Hire a trainer. Do what you need to do in order to stay motivated, even if that means hiring someone to help you.
No, not reaching for reasons to quit and not my intention to offer excuses either. I just felt like posting what I'm going through right now, which I'm sure many of us have gone through. I don't know what I'm looking for with this post...maybe encouragement. Who knows. All I know is that I'm at a low right now.

To be clear, I didn't say I wanted to stop working out. I am losing my motivation to continue lifting weights. I lift because it's a hobby of mine that I enjoyed. I'm not gonna stop working out. That goes without saying, I've worked too hard. I still kill it cardio wise and I eat pretty well so I'm not really worried about regaining all of the weight. The muscle loss/definition though, yeah you have a point. Life happens, and I'm at a crossroads right now. I am becoming increasingly constricted with my time.

Also, I do have a trainer. He's good and I'll continue on with him til the contract ends

Old 09-25-2018, 01:53 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,187,338 times
Switch it up. Try using kettlebells for a while. I find that kettlebells and free weights are like a match made in heaven, assuming you know what you're doing.

Kettlebells are WAY more fun than weights too.

Old 09-25-2018, 01:58 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
I think it is normal, especially with all the outside things going on in your life.

I agree with trying circuits that combine weights with cardio so you kinda get the benefits of both worlds, or maybe take a new class?

Also, go look at old pics of yourself, I do that when my discipline lags.

Plus, maybe maintaining your fabulous, cut physique isn't a priority right now (you look great). You can be just tone (not cut) for the time being to maintain health benefits, so you can spend more family time.

I don't think you are making excuses at all.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-28-2018, 04:47 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,049 times
You should rethink your priorities then. Weight lifting is better for the heart than cardio and it’s not even close if you’re lifting properly. You not only have a much stronger body that will age better but the studies have shown resistance training has major heart benefits. What most people call cardio, they’re not working hard enough to do much more than minor benefits and some minor calorie burning. If you have very little time, ditch the cardio completely! I don’t even bother, it was just a waste of time when I realized it just made me hungrier and didn’t provide the exertion that lifting does. I’ll throw in the occasional 15 minutes of high intensity cardio for fun but that’s the extent of it. I know a doctor in perfect shape even who does very minimal cardio.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:08 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,100,783 times
Riaelise, why not get some equipment and do it at home? At least once in awhile. Ok, I missed the post above where you said you don't have room, but You don't need a lot, but it might help to at least give yourself a break from the gym. I have a "Total Trainer" machine, kettlebells, dumbbells and a pullup bar. I used to work out a lot more at the gym, like you it helped me lose 50 pounds and look incredibly fit. I am in my 60s! And for various reasons (injuries mostly) I had to cut back, I also don't like going to the gym. If you have tools to use at home you can work it into your schedule. How about a rebounder for cardio? I have one, good exercise and it's fun!

You would be surprised how even if you cut back you can maintain your weight and tone with pretty minimal efforts. I look like I work out a lot more than I do. Again, maybe you just need a break, and there is nothing wrong with that Even just cut back how often you go - you will not lose your muscle no matter what anyone here says.

Old 09-28-2018, 02:46 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,647,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Yep, didn't think that it would happen, but it's happening. I'm starting to lose motivation with lifting after doing it for over two years. Stopped really setting goals.

Two months ago I resigned to pursue another, more challenging opportunity. There's lots of upside, but also downside in that as a member of a two person team I am very busy and stressed much of the time. I love my job, but the reality is that it was stressful when I had lots of departments/people available to me but even more so when all of that is gone and it's just me essentially.

I try to get a workout in during my usual times, but I only have enough time to do cardio. I try to do lifting on the weekends but I'm really wanting to spend more time with my family. They've sacrificed some of their time so that I can lift in the evenings. I work usually from 9ish-6, but there's a one hr. commute, leaving me not a lot of time.

I started lifting in 2016 as part of my weight loss plan. While diet was a big part of the equation, I lost over 70 lbs due to a combo of diet and working out. Lifting made me stronger and develop more muscle mass, so the weight reduction was mostly fat not muscle. Moreover, lifting really gave my body shape and definition and for the first time in ten years and two pregnancies, I looked frikken awesome. I cant articulate fully the happiness it had to not only get my body back from the clutches of obesity but to actually look even better. For the first time, I was FIT. All of this at forty plus years old. This transformation will always be something dear to me.

But with life and everything, I just find myself going through the motions lifting wise. I really feel like quitting lately and just going home. I don't care for cardio, but I'll probably keep doing that for the heart. It probably keeps my weight in check too since I am sweating up a storm.

The fire is starting to extinguish and that makes me sad....
How many times have you been working out a week? What do you do for cardio?

I think the key is to find a way to do less but still continue to workout on a weekly basis. If all of you cardio is at the gym, could you run outside instead? Going out the door at home can be time saving compared to driving to the gym. I would try to find a way to workout 2-3 times a week, but the goal should be an average of 2.5 workouts a week.

Old 09-29-2018, 10:26 AM

4,745 posts, read 5,567,853 times
Lifting weights isn't about motivation, it's about discipline. That's what keeps me going strong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness