Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 02:53 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Cut oil and sugar and coffee or alcohol for a 4-6 weeks. This will bring it down with almost no exercise.
Why Coffee.. get a dog. long brisk walks.. no biscuits, sweets, sugarry drinks , pastries , cakes, cheese, butter. alcohol. believe me you can exist without them all...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 06:56 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Why Coffee.. get a dog. long brisk walks.. no biscuits, sweets, sugarry drinks , pastries , cakes, cheese, butter. alcohol. believe me you can exist without them all...
I said coffee because it keeps you awake for long. More awake, more eating

Old 10-12-2018, 06:21 AM

30 posts, read 18,654 times
Thanks all. I've started up My Fitness Pal and have begun calorie counting this morning. I'm going to stop all extra sugars and alcohol, as well as restrict portion size and go easy on the pasta. I will report back in 6-8 weeks and let you know how it went.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:04 AM

5,278 posts, read 6,213,202 times
Since OP is already active and is not overweight, I think determining the amount of food you actually need might be priority #1. Its possible you are not eating the correct food for your activities.

I recently went to a nutrition seminar and learned some information that I had not picked up from working with a dietician or wellness plan in the past. The main fuel for a distance athlete will actually be fat. For HIIT that best source would be carbs ahead of the workout. You also want a decent recovery food that will probably be protein based- so hit the muscle milk after the workout not before. Also don't skip fruits- just make sure they are whole fruit so you have the fiber to flatten out the sugar. Similarly don't skip carbs- just go for whole grains, baked potatoes and the like.

If you under eat that can also be an issue. Luckily I have totally conquered any tendencies to under eat... But seriously, it might be worth considering a session or two with a nutrionist or dietician to make sure your diet reflects that you are an athlete and any other considerations.

The other sad truth is that we all lose muscle mass and gain fat as we get older. Since you were in such good shape it might simply be something you notice much more than someone your age who was already carrying an extra twenty pounds.

Old 10-14-2018, 02:29 PM

860 posts, read 2,205,207 times
Calories is king. Determine how much you burn each day, and consume about 500 calories less. Maintain this until you reach your weight goal.

Old 11-12-2018, 08:05 PM

30 posts, read 18,654 times
I thought I would send in an update, given that you were generous in your advice and encouragement. I have now lost just under 8 pounds and my waist (that is, measured around the thickest part of the stomach with a tape) is 2.5 inches smaller. That seems like a good amount and far enough, as I don't want to get too thin. It wasn't very difficult: I used My Fitness Pal, it told me how many calories to eat each day for the goal. I actually ate less than they said to do and did not add in any calories for the exercise I do. I dropped all alcohol, except a drink or two on the weekends when out, most pasta and all desserts. I measured everything and now realize how much cheese, peanuts, etc I usually eat with a drink before dinner!
I feel better, most of the bulge at the middle gone, but I see that I can't train well at this caloric intake. Runs have been a bit harder than they should've been so I know it's time to stop. Fortunately, ive been doing strength training and Pilates with the running, so I haven't wasted away.
Now I have to figure out how to maintain the new weight.
Thanks for the advice and hope this helps anyone else trying to do something similar.

Old 11-13-2018, 07:05 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buitenzorg View Post
I thought I would send in an update, given that you were generous in your advice and encouragement. I have now lost just under 8 pounds and my waist (that is, measured around the thickest part of the stomach with a tape) is 2.5 inches smaller. That seems like a good amount and far enough, as I don't want to get too thin. It wasn't very difficult: I used My Fitness Pal, it told me how many calories to eat each day for the goal. I actually ate less than they said to do and did not add in any calories for the exercise I do. I dropped all alcohol, except a drink or two on the weekends when out, most pasta and all desserts. I measured everything and now realize how much cheese, peanuts, etc I usually eat with a drink before dinner!
I feel better, most of the bulge at the middle gone, but I see that I can't train well at this caloric intake. Runs have been a bit harder than they should've been so I know it's time to stop. Fortunately, ive been doing strength training and Pilates with the running, so I haven't wasted away.
Now I have to figure out how to maintain the new weight.
Thanks for the advice and hope this helps anyone else trying to do something similar.
Maintain the weight by doing a 24 hour fast or "semi-fast" one day per week. A day where you are not training too hard. That was all I had to do to lose a LOT of weight, and I have kept it off.

Of course, now that you realize you were eating too many snacks with your aperitif, you can just make sure not to do that too often and you should be fine. Thanks for updating!

Old 11-20-2018, 05:06 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
Give up "the whites". Rice, pasta, potatoes, sugar, bread.

This worked for me.

^^^This^^^ I lost 6 pounds in one week a few years ago when I did this.

Old 11-20-2018, 05:54 PM

7 posts, read 8,731 times
I lost 20 pounds in 6 months by walking 1 hour every day when I wake up. But I did notice I was beginning to lose muscle definition in my arms. Since muscle mass contributes to burning calories, I wanted to keep the muscle, so I started supplementing with whey protein. Here's a link to nutrition facts of the best wheys: https://wheytmi.blogspot.com/

Old 11-26-2018, 10:37 AM

20,657 posts, read 4,428,521 times
Don't drink any sodas. Smaller plates, drink more water.

When you sit down to eat, drink a full glass of water before you eat. Do that for every meal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness