Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 03:01 PM

24,072 posts, read 32,418,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
News flash; makeup is used primarily for cosmetic reasons. The majority of haircuts are rumored to done for appearance sake alone. Surveys suggest that people are buying clothes for how they look wearing them. Experts agree that some people diet to improve their appearance. Studies show that some people work out to look better.
No one ever pretends that those things are done for any other reason.

I think many men who "lift" do it because they like that look and they want to impress other men. I am not sure women are part of that equation.

I'd say that some women like that look. I would agree that no women - or extremely few women, like the "flabby couch potato beer belly look".

Men who are "peacocks" and check themselves out in glass windows while walking by - regardless of how perfect or imperfect that reflection might be to other people, are a bit of a turn off to most women.

I never knew that anyone "bought" that it was done for health. The medical community believes two things - exercise is good, and extra weight is bad. Too much bulk, including muscle, is not good for the heart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 03:32 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,991,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
No one ever pretends that those things are done for any other reason.
But unlike those things, lifting weights can and does have a non-vanity related purpose.

Quote:
I think many men who "lift" do it because they like that look and they want to impress other men. I am not sure women are part of that equation.
There are probably a lot of guys and gals alike that lift for aesthetic reasons. I don’t think people are trying to dispute that. But there are a lot of different people lifting weights for a lot of different reasons. As for impressing other men I suppose this may be true of some gay men working out. For me I see no value at all in impressing other men. At this stage in life impressing women isn’t even a concern anymore. Well, just one I guess. As stated, there are some exercises I do in large part because my wife has told me she likes the results I get from those exercises. I do care about impressing my wife.

Quote:
I'd say that some women like that look. I would agree that no women - or extremely few women, like the "flabby couch potato beer belly look".
Just like there are fit men out there who like plus size women (I know several and am one myself) there are a lot of fit women out there who like the “big handsome” body type. Again, I know several.

Quote:
Men who are "peacocks" and check themselves out in glass windows while walking by - regardless of how perfect or imperfect that reflection might be to other people, are a bit of a turn off to most women.

I never knew that anyone "bought" that it was done for health. The medical community believes two things - exercise is good, and extra weight is bad. Too much bulk, including muscle, is not good for the heart.
Maybe you don’t know anyone but that doesn’t mean they’re not out there, or that they aren’t right. The “too much bulk” thing you mention? You likely have no clue, but have you ever thought about how hard it would be to put on that kind of bulk? The vast majority of guys will have to work insanely hard just to keep it at 10-12% body fat. Especially as they age. Cases where one has lifted and bulked to the point of heart problems are sonfew and far between they're not even relevant unless by context the discussion is about outliers.

Old 10-18-2018, 05:52 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,960,357 times
Kennedy banged starlets like Marilyn Monroe. Schwarzenegger banged the Guatemalan maid. Nothing against the country but she was just fugly.

And now we know username iknowftbll has a sexy bod according to his wife. He has told us this four times now?

If a guy wants to bang a lot of sluts, hit the weights by all means. Early and often.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:25 PM

Four times? Hmm... Still not as many as there are threads criticizing people for their reasons for weight training.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:10 PM

2,258 posts, read 1,135,157 times
Quote:
I think many men who "lift" do it because they like that look and they want to impress other men.
There arent any heterosexual men that lift to impress other men. If that was the case, they wouldnt help each other out in the gym. But maybe youre projecting that you do certain things to impress other women?

Old 10-18-2018, 09:06 PM

24,072 posts, read 32,418,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
But unlike those things, lifting weights can and does have a non-vanity related purpose.

There are probably a lot of guys and gals alike that lift for aesthetic reasons. I don’t think people are trying to dispute that. But there are a lot of different people lifting weights for a lot of different reasons. As for impressing other men I suppose this may be true of some gay men working out. For me I see no value at all in impressing other men. At this stage in life impressing women isn’t even a concern anymore. Well, just one I guess. As stated, there are some exercises I do in large part because my wife has told me she likes the results I get from those exercises. I do care about impressing my wife.

Just like there are fit men out there who like plus size women (I know several and am one myself) there are a lot of fit women out there who like the “big handsome” body type. Again, I know several.

Maybe you don’t know anyone but that doesn’t mean they’re not out there, or that they aren’t right. The “too much bulk” thing you mention? You likely have no clue, but have you ever thought about how hard it would be to put on that kind of bulk? The vast majority of guys will have to work insanely hard just to keep it at 10-12% body fat. Especially as they age. Cases where one has lifted and bulked to the point of heart problems are sonfew and far between they're not even relevant unless by context the discussion is about outliers.
When people are overweight, the heart works harder. If someone is overweight because of a huge amount of muscle, the heart is stressed. It isn't my opinion, that's a fact. You can Google that.

I do know of men who like "plus sized women". I don't think that's all that unusual. Women who like guys with big beer guts, and specifically look for such me? Hey, it could exist. Which was why in my first post, I did not say "never" or "always". I just think it's more unusual.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:19 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,298,809 times
Quote:
So I’m just being a little antagonistic toward OP. And maybe a little toward the cell phone police.

Oh, and you don’t have to see me. Unless someone is planning a CD meet and greet!
I was responding to the OP. Lift on!
Lifting is strength training but a healthy body is a sexy body!

Old 10-18-2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I was responding to the OP. Lift on!
Lifting is strength training but a healthy body is a sexy body!
Ah...well you have to admit, a CD meet and greet is a good idea either way, right? Unless the PAOC group shows up!

Old 10-18-2018, 10:04 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,298,809 times
Quote:
Ah...well you have to admit, a CD meet and greet is a good idea either way, right? Unless the PAOC group shows up!
Well yeah! You weren't at our last one?!

Old 10-18-2018, 10:39 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,817,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Well, working out with weights does have health benefits. You lose muscle every year after a certain age (age 30, I think?). Working out with weights helps counter that.

Weight workouts increase muscle, which in turn burns more calories and helps with weight control.

Yeah, guys who overly focus on weightlifting and such, and look in the mirror a lot, are probably doing it for looks. But at least it's not a wasted effort, since there are health benefits.
This! - While there were some cosmetic benefits, but, I've always hated running; plus weight lifting always worked better and faster for me as a means of increasing muscle mass and burning calories to help with weight control.

Now, at a later stage of life, I find that some degree of weight lifting is still better for retaining some muscle mass and dealing with belly fat-- Plus, I still hate running.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness