Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 05:30 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,141,637 times

Advertisements

I struggle with eating a proper diet.
I love to eat and may be, even live to eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 03:54 AM

3 posts, read 2,316 times
I currently do a lot of exercise at work. I work in a elementary school office and I spend my day walking around the building. Also I do some stretching in my car before I go to work every day for five minutes. It helps. Carving out time for exercise is the most important thing for me personally and I feel better afterwards. Do you have any gyms close by or not?

Old 11-01-2018, 05:35 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,694,459 times
Summer fair and carnival food. It's all junk and so not healthy.

Old 11-01-2018, 06:06 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Motivation - some days I just don't feel like going to the gym. But then I look at the scale, have to buy smaller clothes and it keeps me going. Today I hit my goal of a BMI of 24.9 which is "average". That 1 1/2 pounds that has hung on all month finally disappeared which put me in a class of "overweight". My goal is 125-130 so I still have 6-11 pounds left to lose. My normal weight until I had kids was around 118-120.

Turning down dessert when I go to a nice restaurant is tough because their desserts are too die for. I love sweets but rarely allow myself to eat them anymore except on special occasions.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:43 AM

695 posts, read 702,471 times
Halloween candy, Thanksgiving Day food, Christmas cookies, my birthday cake...

Old 11-02-2018, 03:34 AM

1,199 posts, read 659,450 times
Taking a day off intensive exercise. I sometimes "forget" to do this and end up with strains and injuries, or severe fatigue until I am forced to take a day off. I still do light walking on days off exercise, and light stretching. I find when I do take a day off intense exercise, I feel stronger and more energetic when I come back to it. I always feel guilty though when I take a day off.

My other big one is getting enough sleep at night. I have a clean diet, exercise a lot, am a low normal healthy weight, but the sleep issue is a big one. I need to get to bed earlier, but that can be hard on nights when I take ballet classes and get home late. I also workout early mornings before work. If I don't get to bed the night before, I won't be as effective in the morning.

Old 11-02-2018, 06:28 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinwomb View Post
Taking a day off intensive exercise. I sometimes "forget" to do this and end up with strains and injuries, or severe fatigue until I am forced to take a day off. I still do light walking on days off exercise, and light stretching. I find when I do take a day off intense exercise, I feel stronger and more energetic when I come back to it. I always feel guilty though when I take a day off.

My other big one is getting enough sleep at night. I have a clean diet, exercise a lot, am a low normal healthy weight, but the sleep issue is a big one. I need to get to bed earlier, but that can be hard on nights when I take ballet classes and get home late. I also workout early mornings before work. If I don't get to bed the night before, I won't be as effective in the morning.
Don't. Recovery time is important to keeping your overall progress trending in the right direction. Generally speaking I have designated Sunday as a recovery day and with few exceptions will not do anything more than stretching/foam rolling/etc. Monday through Saturdays are weight lifting and Judo days. Sometimes I just need to stop. I am not above taking an unscheduled recovery day from one of or both of those activities. Sometimes I just need it and when I need recovery time and take it I always am glad that I did.

Old 11-02-2018, 06:53 AM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJKeller View Post
What do most people struggle with in here? In terms of health, fitness and lifestyle?

I guess I'm lucky but at age 63, I don't havetoo many issues i struggle with in terms of health, fitness and lifestyle. My biggest issue is a torn meniscus that keeps me from running and playing basketball the way I did a few years ago. This has some impact on my weight, so I have had to make some minor adjustments in how much I eat. Running and basketball cause knee pain for usually the next three days, so it seems like my fitness is on a gradual decline.

My only other issues are some low back pain and reduced flexibility, but these issues are not preventing me from doing anything.

Old 11-05-2018, 02:59 PM

209 posts, read 292,355 times
My biggest problem is diet. I'm an emotional eater. When my anxiety or stress is through the roof, I reach for crap food or beer. If I have enough beer in me, I'll just reach for nothing but crap food.

In order to compensate for what I've been shoving down my throat, I'll exercise like hell. This past summer, I did just that to the point of injuring both shoulders twice, my left foot once, my left knee once, and my left hip once. And yet again, I have another injury I'm trying to recover from.

Old 11-08-2018, 01:22 PM

33,324 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Motivation - some days I just don't feel like going to the gym. But then I look at the scale, have to buy smaller clothes and it keeps me going. Today I hit my goal of a BMI of 24.9 which is "average". That 1 1/2 pounds that has hung on all month finally disappeared which put me in a class of "overweight". My goal is 125-130 so I still have 6-11 pounds left to lose. My normal weight until I had kids was around 118-120.

Turning down dessert when I go to a nice restaurant is tough because their desserts are too die for. I love sweets but rarely allow myself to eat them anymore except on special occasions.
Congratulations !

When I hit that point it was important to me as well (201 put me at 24.96 BMI). I'm at 186 right now (23.09), and my goal is 172-175 (21.36 to 21.73 BMI), with the top of that small range putting me close to the midpoint of the normal range re BMI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness