Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 04:29 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,561,815 times

Advertisements

I know there is some debate to this, so let's have at it.

Those of us that have active jobs. Mostly with moving the arms all day. How much of a "workout" are we getting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 05:20 AM

4,542 posts, read 5,366,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
How much of a work-out do you get while working?

Those of us that have active jobs. Mostly with moving the arms all day. How much of a "workout" are we getting?
Good thread topic.

I think a distinction needs to be made here on what exactly is a "workout" because just because a job requires someone to be physically active, it does not mean they are getting a "workout" in. If it somehow improves your fitness level (makes you stronger, improves your cardio, burns fat, increases muscle, etc) then it can be loosely considered to be a workout.

I know people who are trauma nurses in the ER who are constantly on the move for 10 plus hours. While they are always on the go, they are not necessarily getting a "workout" in. Some are still overweight and they are not improving their fitness levels at all.

I know a few who are baggage handlers at LAX, Amazon warehouse fulfillment workers, LAPD/LASD officers, firefighters, etc. and although at times their jobs can be physically grueling, non of them really consider it to be getting a "workout" in while working.

The only job(s) I can think of really where people actually get workouts in are the instructors at like Yoga studios who lead classes or soldiers who do daily physical training as part of their jobs. Athletes are the only others I can think of but that is something totally different.

Old 11-06-2018, 06:53 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,064,773 times
My job is not active. I sit at a computer all day and it drives me nuts.

I try to get up every hour and move

Old 11-06-2018, 07:50 AM

21,714 posts, read 24,949,937 times
Quote:

Depends on the job. Are you moving your arms while sitting at a desk all day? Very minimal. More than I get. I just move my fingers as I'm in front of computers. The only exercise I get is I'll usually take the stairs, if I can. So a day like yesterday when I was in two different offices on the the 19th and 16th floors, that's a little bit. At home I use a treadmill desk, so I'm either standing or doing what I call the zombie shuffle with the treadmill running at 1.5 mph. Normally I get 3-5 miles of shuffling in a day. It's more just to stay moving than get any exercise.

Old 11-06-2018, 11:33 AM

10,324 posts, read 10,581,616 times
Quote:

A job may be physically demanding but I wouldn't consider it a workout. You can't workout for 7.5 hours a day, week after week, year after year. It may provide some cardiovascular benefit compared to someone who sits on their butt all day.

For example, the town where I grew up had a factory where men loaded wood pallets of glass bottles for an entire shift. It was physically taxing work and many guys quit after the first day. Others did it for a few months until they could bid on another job. Some got used to it and did it for decades. The guys who did it for decades weren't in better shape and didn't build muscles. It was simply a matter of their bodies adjusting to the work. The trouble with this type of work is the likelihood of repetitive strain injuries. Everything from wrists, elbows, shoulders, and backs are likely to get injured sooner or later.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:18 PM

987 posts, read 774,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
My job is not active. I sit at a computer all day and it drives me nuts.

I try to get up every hour and move
I work from home and I get up from my desk every 15 minutes to move around.
I also try to have as much sex as possible with or without a partner

Old 11-08-2018, 08:46 AM

2,211 posts, read 1,561,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul359 View Post
I work from home and I get up from my desk every 15 minutes to move around.
I also try to have as much sex as possible with or without a partner
Don't they say that sex is the best excercise?

Old 11-13-2018, 03:51 AM

15,207 posts, read 10,238,419 times
Many years ago before most of us had sedentary jobs people didn't have to "work out". Their daily lives gave them quite the workout. Think about the days before 1900 when men were farmers or ranchers and women did all the housework and cooking by hand. I bet the obesity level was pretty low back then.

Old 11-13-2018, 07:20 AM

2,758 posts, read 2,219,583 times
I couldn't imagine working out 5 days a week having certain physical jobs like construction at my age. No way. When I was younger yeah I could have handled it but with age usually comes aches and pains.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:11 AM

10,324 posts, read 10,581,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Many years ago before most of us had sedentary jobs people didn't have to "work out". Their daily lives gave them quite the workout. Think about the days before 1900 when men were farmers or ranchers and women did all the housework and cooking by hand. I bet the obesity level was pretty low back then.
Yeah back in the good old days everyone got enough exercise and there was no obesity!

http://daysgoneby.me/wp-content/uplo...eaker-boys.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness