Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 06:15 AM

20,613 posts, read 4,406,852 times

Advertisements

I prefer both under certain conditions. For quick drinks cold water is fine. But if I want water with ice, it needs to be clean ice.

Clean ice: tap water boiled, cooled down, frozen into desired cube forms.

You need to drink cold water slowly. But cold water with ice needs to be drank much slower to not shock the system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2018, 08:54 AM

9,374 posts, read 8,342,991 times
I can't believe a thread about ice water vs water with no ice has gone 3 pages long. We are truly a bored bunch!

Old 12-26-2018, 08:59 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,744,120 times
I used to drink Ice water but now I drink water at room temperature, I think it's better for the body and the way nature intended it.

Old 12-26-2018, 09:47 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,653,569 times
Ice. Colder the better.

Old 12-30-2018, 11:36 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,922,565 times
I prefer ice because I like something cold to drink while working out.

Old 12-31-2018, 09:45 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,306,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I once heard that if you drink cold water your body will burn calories warming it up. We are not talking a ton of calories for those that are counting but I suppose it could add up over the day.
Yes. Before your body can use the water it has to warm it.
I helped run the drug test program for my Guard unit. If people couldn't fill the bottle (besides probably testing hot) they drank more water. If it was cold water it took longer.

Old 12-31-2018, 11:15 PM

3,972 posts, read 5,162,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I come from country where everything was treated with heat and consumed non cooled. Are you a cold blooded body? No. Then why would you consume anything that is cold? How does cold influence your say GI tract lining? It constricts it. WHY? For what good reason? Even refrigerated water is too cold for normal GI function.

Different story is that ice cold water dulls taste receptors in your mouth. This is why it is so much propagated in this country as, most of what you can swallow very cold tastes terrible when room temperature. Also, when you buy a Big Gulp anywhere, you are actually buying ice with some fluid added to it.

Also, when you put anything into your GI tract during exercise, it, per reflex, draws blood into there. Also, nervous system attention is drawn to it. May I ask you this. Where do you want your blood and your nervous system concentration, when you exercise? On your stomach or on your say muscle?
Please, spare me what is said in media etc. I happen to have 11 years of medical universities and have quite good idea how human body operates. It is not made for cold anything. It is black on white physiological fact.
Coors, Budweiser and Miller know this. It's why they always show their beers being served ice cold.

Old 01-01-2019, 09:44 AM

190 posts, read 128,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2017 View Post
I noticed for a while now that people in the gym have ice with water in their bottles. Does it make a difference in your workout, or body to have ice in your water, or is it just a preference thing?

I am thinking since it is colder it might affect the body in a different way, but i don't know my chemistry. Thanks.
Widespread refrigeration only been around for less then 100 years but suddenly no one can drink warm liquids LOL

But anyway it not chemistry its thermodynamics, the branch of physical science that deals with the relations between heat and other forms of energy (such as mechanical, electrical, or chemical energy), and, by extension, of the relationships between all forms of energy.

What is the difference between calories and kilocalories? The "calorie" we refer to in food is actually kilocalorie. One (1) kilocalorie is the same as one (1) Calorie (upper case C). A kilocalorie is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of 1 kilogram of water one degree Celsius. What's in Food FAQs | Nutrition.gov https://www.nutrition.gov/subject/whats-in-food/faqs

1 calorie will raise 1 gram of water 1 degree Celsius. If 1 g of water is given 2 calories, its temperature will go up 2 degrees. Melting ice at 0 degrees Celsius: It takes 80 calories to melt 1 gram of ice.

That's why when you put hot water into a cup of ice the ice wins

Old 01-01-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I helped run the drug test program for my Guard unit. If people couldn't fill the bottle (besides probably testing hot) they drank more water. If it was cold water it took longer.

Its best to eat as much asparagus as possible before drug testing.

Old 01-01-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) — A Florida gas station owner has placed a sign in his store asking customers not to warm urine in the microwave. Parul Patel says he's become "sick and tired" of people walking into his BP gas station and On the Fly convenience store in Jacksonville to warm their containers of urine. The store is within walking distance of two labs that offer drug testing services and collect urine samples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness