Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 11:57 AM

9,384 posts, read 8,356,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
If it works, it's not dumb, right? I like them so much I bought the stock and it's up 71% since I bought it a year ago!
I bought some Planet Fitness stock just a few months ago and it's already up like 20%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 12:57 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
I used to use a Planet Fitness- and you'll only get 'junk food' if you are actually at the gym. The one I used basically had a pizza day once (maybe twice) per month. A 400 calorie slice can be burned off in one workout and is really no worse than a cheese sandwich. I go to HIIT franchise (Orange Theory) one or two times a week that is more convenient than my gym and they have had doughnut days, humus give aways, free juice, etc. The motivation seems to be that you should work hard at fitness but still enjoy yourself.

For whatever reason my actual gym seemed to get through the new years rush pretty quickly this year- although I have noticed the group classes being packed. I wonder if all the smaller fitness busineeses- orange theory, kettlebell, spin, etc haven't sucked up more of the people needing motivation.
400 calories is quite a workout for a lot of people. If they just walk on the treadmill they wont burn it off. A cheese sandwich is no better. Why void all that work with a crappy piece of pizza? I just don't get it.
They are giving their members mixed messages. A donut after a workout? Now that really is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

Old 01-11-2019, 01:24 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Again, let me make it clear that we don't hate new year's resolutioners.

How do you deal with overcrowded gym?

Do a Tyler Durden and render them with lye to make designer soap?

Old 01-12-2019, 08:41 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
Quote:
I put on my big boy pants and keep working out.

Old 01-13-2019, 12:03 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
My gym is even crowded now at the off hours I go. Nothing new for January. The way to sanely workout with a crowded gym is to be flexible, figuratively, not literally, but that helps to. If you have a rigid workout that you do not vary from then you are going to be pissed off a lot. If you go in with an open mind on what you want to accomplish then you can easily work around the newbies. January is halfway through, by the end of it at least 50% of the newbies will be gone. By March 90%.

Old 01-15-2019, 03:24 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,583,284 times
I scout the gyms before I buy a membership, around here you usually get either a session or a week to train for free and check it out before buying a membership and I just moved so had to find a new gym.

What I look for is less machines, more free weights, preferably not much PTs, merch or classes going on, high steel to plastic ratio, and 24/7 open hours, that preferably does NOT belong to a chain of corporate/franchised gyms.
Something that, in a subtle way says "Beginners F-off, "Fiskis" (sort of a "planet fitnesss") is in the next building over".

Found a football and fighting inspired sort of modern take on a 1950s style gym, very "steel and dirt" kinda place, haven't seen any excessive new years crowding at all. Most members are martial artists of different types, BJJ, MMA, boxing, etc. Good "shut up and train"-type vibe, walls fulls of black and white posters of old school athletes.
I think all these things together keep the "planet fitness" type crowds away.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:06 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Unless I can go off hours, I largely avoid it this type of year.

Old 01-17-2019, 03:18 PM

1,893 posts, read 1,009,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I don't worry about it anymore. It only lasts a month!!
Going early in the a.m. weekdays kind of gives me free reign of the fitness center/equipment.....weekends and after work hours, I stay away. Nice not being a worker-bee anymore.

Old 01-17-2019, 03:26 PM

67 posts, read 48,472 times
I am openly hostile and verbally demeaning whilst giving dirty looks across the room.

Old 01-17-2019, 04:02 PM

19,024 posts, read 27,585,087 times
Quote:
We both work full time as professionals, and we both go into our offices early in the morning, so the only time we can go work out is right after work.

You are simply conveniencing yourself and ranting about others inconveniencing you. Which is understood, you can't stick a needle into my gym after hours.

Here's my situation. I commute on average over an hour one way. Going to the gym after hours, I am beat.
Gym opens at 5am. I am there at 5am. Mof, I get up at 4;15 am, do chakras re energizing routine, re energizing all major joints, what takes me 15 min, get in my car, drive to gym, do my thing, drive back home, feed the chicken farm, have my breakfast, drive to work to be there at 8am.
It is not convenient, but it works. that early, there's maybe 20-30 of us for the entire 2 story LA Fitness. With about 5-8 regulars where I exercise - weights and machines.
You don't hear me ranting, do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness