Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 12:58 PM

1,279 posts, read 850,736 times

Advertisements

Just curious:

Do you go to the gym and spend time hanging out (socializing or otherwise just being there) when you're not working out?

There are a few people at my gym who seem to get there maybe 30 minutes before they start their own workouts (and they work out by themselves, without a personal trainer) and they sit in the lobby, talking to others, reading the paper, etc.

I'm not criticizing them at all; the people who do this are very nice people. I'm just curious why anyone would go to the gym except to work out. I assume that they're lonely or otherwise just have good friendships at the gym?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2019, 01:10 PM

2,115 posts, read 1,454,696 times
No. I have enough time to train and then I have to get out of there and get to work.

Old 01-12-2019, 06:44 PM

1,199 posts, read 658,558 times
When I am done working out, sometimes I "hang out" in the sauna for about 15 minutes before hitting the shower and cleaning up. This is usually on weekends when I have more time. Most of the people I see hanging out and not working out are groups, often retired people, socializing in the lobby area before or after their workout. I think it's great that people socialize this way. As long as they aren't in the way of those working out where the equipment is. I've always had a few friends I talk to at the various gyms I have belonged to. It's usually in the locker room or when stretching after working out, or sometimes when on a cardio machine I might have a conversation with someone but those are rare occasions. The weight room is pretty busy so I don't mess around in there, just stick to my workout.

Old 01-12-2019, 07:28 PM

37,565 posts, read 45,928,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
Just curious:

Do you go to the gym and spend time hanging out (socializing or otherwise just being there) when you're not working out?

There are a few people at my gym who seem to get there maybe 30 minutes before they start their own workouts (and they work out by themselves, without a personal trainer) and they sit in the lobby, talking to others, reading the paper, etc.

I'm not criticizing them at all; the people who do this are very nice people. I'm just curious why anyone would go to the gym except to work out. I assume that they're lonely or otherwise just have good friendships at the gym?

Thanks.
They're stalking you.

Old 01-12-2019, 07:29 PM

1,279 posts, read 850,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
They're stalking you.
No, they’re definitely not. They are nice and friendly to everyone.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:54 PM

574 posts, read 376,455 times
Some people get there early for a class and so will sometimes pass the time chatting. Others are just walking chatter boxes and so its still a workout but also a bit of a social event.

Old 01-13-2019, 12:17 AM

264 posts, read 238,255 times
I been to the gym to just chill in the pool, I get some water weights and just chill. The sauna, I talked to different people so I stayed longer than usual to talk. But I dont think I hangout there, maybe I just put in a low effort workout and take up time in between reps.

Old 01-13-2019, 01:57 AM

1,142 posts, read 1,140,944 times
When I retire with plenty of time on my hands, I too plan to spend lots of time in the gym, not necessarily working out.

Old 01-13-2019, 06:01 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,659,641 times
My gym has a sauna/steam room, hot tubs, massage therapy, full-service salon, cafe with generally healthy food. There are a lot of reasons why you would want to stay there after your workout or even go there without having a workout. Sometimes I go there to use the salon.

I belonged to one gym when I lived abroad that had a great spa area and would use that for a while after I worked out. I also had a good gym friend there and we would often hang out.

Old 01-13-2019, 06:50 AM

15,217 posts, read 10,291,036 times
No - I go there to work out and then I use the hydro massage bed and once in a while the tanning bed. I'm not there to socialize and while I do say hi to some of the familiar faces I don't have long conversations with anyone. Perhaps if my gym had more amenities I might but it doesn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness