Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 10:06 AM

1,279 posts, read 852,761 times

Advertisements

At my gym, another regular (who seems to come once or twice a week) is an elderly blind guy. He comes up to the elliptical equipment and treadmills and uses them, but without turning them on and specifying speed and resistance--so he walks on an unpowered treadmill and uses and elliptical machine that is just sitting there, unpowered.

I know the unwritten rule of the gym: don't offer unsolicited advice to people.

However, in this case, is the kind thing to do to ask him things such as, "did you want a particular speed for that" or "did you want an incline" and then press the buttons on the treadmill or elliptical for him to set a speed, resistance, incline and the like?

He could hire a personal trainer, as there are lots there, and the gym staff frequently walks around, so there are people who could help him if he wanted it. I haven't seen him ask for help with anything.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2019, 10:08 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post

I haven't seen him ask for help with anything.
There is your answer.

Old 01-19-2019, 11:43 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,558,151 times
No, there may be a very good reason why they are not turned on. My trainer recommended I use a manual treadmill to improve my balance. It forces you to pick up your feet to get the thing to move - strike with the heel and push off with the toe. If someone is blind, balance is even more of a problem. (Just try standing on one foot with your eyes closed - we rely on being able to focus on a fixed point to maintain balance as we get older.)

My guess is that the individual in question may be working on improving his balance and has no need of your help.

Last edited by Mary2014; 01-19-2019 at 12:15 PM..

Old 01-20-2019, 05:30 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,009,949 times
I think if I were blind, I'd try to develope routines where I'd not need anyone's help. So unless you're going to be there every day for him to adjust speeds, inclines, he's probably going to decline. Making an offer is a kind gesture, but I'd understand why he'd decline.

I'd definitely give him a "hello" or other greetings to see if he's interested in talking - I can imagine he might have some social isolation.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:57 AM

19,029 posts, read 27,592,838 times
I hate to sound cold heartened, but he made it to the machine, right? Without accident? This sort of points towards his capabilities.
Also, what I have learned from my patients - this country is rather generous on granting "blind" status to people. I encountered some that show with all outer signs of blindness yet see or can manage, just fine. They are "legally blind" and expose outer signs of that. White cane, black glasses.
I'd let him be. Man does not ask for help - he does not need it.

Old 01-20-2019, 08:12 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
There is your answer.
Exactly. He's probably already spoken to someone at the gym about his accessibility needs, and he's doing what he needs to do to work out.

Old 01-20-2019, 08:15 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
it seems dangerous to have a blind guy on a motorized death trap...

he miss places foot on treadmill and it throws him off it? he can't see handlebars to grab or the sides to use as a foothold

he wants them turned off for a reason

you try walking on a treadmill, without opening your eyes for longer than a few minutes. now try to get off it when you are done, with your eyes closed. can you even tell when it is completely stopped without looking? or do you ride it back and step off? something he can't "see" where it ends

resistance on elliptical, same thing, he can't see where the moving parts are swinging, why would he make it more dangerous? you can adjust controls because you can see the bars and avoid them hitting you in the face. he can't see them to avoid

Last edited by MLSFan; 01-20-2019 at 08:25 AM..

Old 01-20-2019, 08:43 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
There is nothing as unwelcome as unsoliced offers of help when being perceived as or actually being physically challenged.
He does not ask you why you do not turn up your speed a notch, does he?

Old 01-21-2019, 11:34 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,009,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
There is nothing as unwelcome as unsoliced offers of help when being perceived as or actually being physically challenged.
He does not ask you why you do not turn up your speed a notch, does he?

Yes, there is something worse. Ignoring someone who is in need and going about your business.

Old 01-21-2019, 11:35 AM

9,394 posts, read 8,360,377 times
"Yes, can you turn it up to 4.0 speed with a 5.0 incline?"

What do you do then? Sit and wait for him to finish?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness