Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 06:25 PM

1,279 posts, read 840,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
So they ban calls, not phones.
The signs say that “use of phones” is banned. The gym certainly wouldn’t allow people to take pictures in the gym. The gym does not have WiFi (at least for members) so perhaps few people use their phones for other purposes anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2019, 08:29 PM

3,187 posts, read 2,296,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Are you saying they are just sitting on the equipment scrolling or reading but not using the equipment? Because that should be a no-brainer.

"Perhaps today's gym atmosphere is not for you??!" She was telling you, in more than one way, that you should "go home, old man." That's really not acceptable.
That's what I deal with on occasion though not a fitness chain but at my apartment property's fitness rooms. Idiots do five reps then check their damn phone for 5 minutes before doing a second set! SMDH

Old 03-03-2019, 10:14 PM

516 posts, read 1,065,497 times
No way could I deal with the rude people at any gym, I will sit at home doing 12 oz curls, Budweiser is my preferred workout but my warmup is lawn mowing, yard work or if the season is wrong, snow shoveling.

Old 03-03-2019, 10:21 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,422,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Yesterday I asked the Asst Mgr at LA Fitness, if something could be done in regards to phones and books. Meaning lengthy time sitting on machines 10 15 min texting reading books. I wasn't prepared for her response.

I told her I've been mouthed off to twice when I have tried to use equip at this gym. That I'm not comfortable asking if there going to finish soon.

She said her members are extreme fitness enthusiasts, and she can't tell them to get off their phones or books. That if I don't tell her who mouthed off she can't help. That perhaps today's gym atmosphere isn't for me.

I'm older and have worked out all my life, so gyms are not new to me. The thoughtless disrespect isn't something I take well.

I noticed this mgr could not relate to my saying not here to complain or report people. I'm asking to be responsive to people trying to get their workout in. Without waiting for people to finish their phone business. That the cardio says 20 min limit when busy. Why can't the weight area say the same. She said I was belittling her way of method of operations. Again stressing her members are the best and very into their workouts.

I felt like I had been told old man go home. We don't care if you have always worked out. This is how it is, and we don't care if your bothered by it. I told her I'm going home and so I did. I became very uncomfortable. Finding another gym isn't very easy here.

She sounds like a moron who doesn't understand how customer service works. Obviously you shouldn't let her BS commentary discourage you from using the gym. Who cares if people mouth off at you, most people are self-obsessed jerks anyways so just walk away and do something else.

Old 03-03-2019, 11:36 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,186,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Is pizza night in the best interests of the members?
Hey I loved pizza night!!

Old 03-04-2019, 12:20 AM

10,280 posts, read 8,435,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Hey I loved pizza night!!
I guess if you use it like a carrot in front of a horse to motivate it.
I picture someone on the treadmill and someone else holding a slice just out of reach

Old 03-04-2019, 06:42 AM

15,197 posts, read 10,158,323 times
The Planet Fitness I go to has a sign "No cell phone conversations in gym area." Rarely do I see anybody violate the rule. I use my cell phone for music while on the cardio machines but then I go to my locker, get my gloves and leave my phone behind. I don't need it when I'm doing weights. I don't understand the thought process of people who can't be away from their phones for 30 minutes unless they are a doctor on call or expecting an urgent phone call.

Old 03-04-2019, 06:47 AM

2,092 posts, read 1,421,396 times
I googled 24 hour fitness in Lakeland Fl. There are several of them. If you are serious about fitness you might think of changing your personal time to work out very early in the am.

Advantages: There will be few people there early in the am. You have your workout to start your day. You don't have to worry about late work days ruining your workouts. Most people in the am are on a tight schedule to get to work and don't have time to hang out on the phone between sets.

If you are retired, why don't you go to the gym at the 9 ish hour or so. Most working people don't go to the gym at that time. I would imagine that since retired folks grew up without a need to be glued to a cell phone, the ones at the gym won't be doing it.

Old 03-04-2019, 07:31 AM

9,269 posts, read 8,163,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
The signs say that “use of phones” is banned. The gym certainly wouldn’t allow people to take pictures in the gym. The gym does not have WiFi (at least for members) so perhaps few people use their phones for other purposes anyway.
People in every gym I've ever worked at take selfies all the time. And I've never known a gym in the last 5 years who didn't have wifi, that would be a deal-breaker for a lot of people who listen to music through apps on their phone.

Old 03-04-2019, 07:45 AM

6,700 posts, read 6,386,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
The Planet Fitness I go to has a sign "No cell phone conversations in gym area." Rarely do I see anybody violate the rule. I use my cell phone for music while on the cardio machines but then I go to my locker, get my gloves and leave my phone behind. I don't need it when I'm doing weights. I don't understand the thought process of people who can't be away from their phones for 30 minutes unless they are a doctor on call or expecting an urgent phone call.
Cringe - say it isn't so, never leave anything of value in a gym locker. Those locks are easy to defeat. Don't even leave your keys in your locker because if they get your keys, all they have to do is go to the parking lot, hit the lock/panic button and now they have your car and/or anything inside of it. That rack where everyone hangs their keys at PF also makes me cringe.

fwiw, I use my phone all the time at PF, but for music. I have on occasion taken a quick call, but no one even knows because I have Bluetooth headphones. I also check my email, etc. but when I do I go to a corner where I'm not bothering anyone or taking up space on equipment. That policy is there so they can call out people that get on their phones and start blabbing incessantly. We all the know that person that thinks they're so important that everyone needs to hear them talk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness