Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 08:38 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,409,952 times

Advertisements

I worked out half of 2018 from August onwards till December. I had tons of family visits and relaxing time where I disregarded gym for a day then 2 days to a week. Lets say I just haven't gone back since New Year. I have now put 10 lbs back in those 3.5 months.

How do I get the motivation back to get my butt back in there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2019, 04:40 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,009,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalprophets View Post

Remind yourself why you started going in the first place....wt loss, particular fitness level, stress release ---are those reasons still present? What are the obstacles that you have to make it easier? Maybe start w/ simple, easy to do sets or runs just to get back into the groove....you can't resume where you left off.

Old 03-16-2019, 08:54 AM

......perhaps you dread it......make it fun. My YMCA has a variety of fun group fitness to burn cals, work core, etc......combat, kick box etc.....make it fun.....

Old 03-16-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
I worked out half of 2018 from August onwards till December. I had tons of family visits and relaxing time where I disregarded gym for a day then 2 days to a week. Lets say I just haven't gone back since New Year. I have now put 10 lbs back in those 3.5 months.

Quote:
Costco shopping with family and come back home to eat the groceries

Maybe you're still in that contemplative stage of change.....

The Transtheoretical Model (Stages of Change) ... The TTM posits that individuals move through six stages of change: precontemplation, contemplation, preparation, action, maintenance, and termination.

Old 03-16-2019, 02:40 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:

I remember that diabetes runs in my family, and that gym workouts probably help me defer diabetes just a little longer. That is a good motivator for me.

Old 03-17-2019, 09:05 AM

1,530 posts, read 1,409,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
Maybe you're still in that contemplative stage of change.....

The Transtheoretical Model (Stages of Change) ... The TTM posits that individuals move through six stages of change: precontemplation, contemplation, preparation, action, maintenance, and termination.
I'm in between contemplation and preparation phase. Then hits next morning when it resets all my motivation towards gym.

Old 03-17-2019, 09:28 AM

510 posts, read 447,186 times
Default Make Workouts Simpler

As you get older the 1 hour gym routine becomes more frustrating. I find it easier to stick with shorter workouts and fewer exercises.

Currently I do pull ups, squats or lunges and abs at home. In addition I watch what I eat but don't diet. Just stay with meat, fruits, vegetables and only eat dessert once a week.

Hope this helps!

Old 03-17-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitive2 View Post
As you get older the 1 hour gym routine becomes more frustrating. I find it easier to stick with shorter workouts and fewer exercises.

Currently I do pull ups, squats or lunges and abs at home. In addition I watch what I eat but don't diet. Just stay with meat, fruits, vegetables and only eat dessert once a week.

Hope this helps!
very good advice --

Old 03-17-2019, 09:34 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times
Music is a good motivator. Get some good headphones/buds, a music program and create some workout sets. Also, a pre-workout supplement can help get you motivated. There are stimulant and non stimulant formulas depending on your tolerance for caffeine. Some I like are Pre Jym, Pre Kaged and for non stim MAN Pump powder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness