Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 09:15 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,572,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
The principle of 'muscle confusion' to get better results. I did weekly pilates classes for ten weeks last year for the same reason. I can't afford doing this sort of thing regularly which is one reason I work out at home.
What's muscle confusion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2019, 11:12 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
What's muscle confusion?
It's controversial in fitness circles. Some say it works and others not. The idea is to vary workouts so you don't work the same muscle the same way every time. There is a lot of info on google. Now that I've read a few articles it seems like there is no pressing need for me to go to a gym! I'll keep working out at home unless I ever meet someone who wants to take me to a gym and I have nothing better to do.

The most important thing is to find an activity you will enjoy (or at least not dread) doing at least every other day. I hate yoga and spinning. I can't swim (a friend lost fifty pounds swimming most nights after work). Find your passion and stick with it. It took me years of trying different things before I settled on using dumbbells and videos, then DVDs at home. Several years of heavy weights, then in the past ten years endurance style workouts (light weight, high reps) give me the best results with no injuries as with heavy weights.

Old 04-10-2019, 03:33 PM

1,074 posts, read 641,040 times
Quote:
The principle of 'muscle confusion' to get better results. I did weekly pilates classes for ten weeks last year for the same reason. I can't afford doing this sort of thing regularly which is one reason I work out at home.

I'm thinking about going to my local Gold's Gym. I have no idea how to use equipment and I don't want to do the same thing the same way every week. Would I be considered a less desirable customer for one of their fitness coaches? Planning to go on off hours when it's less crowded.

I made an appointment for an intro next week.
(is it just me, or are most people not really answering your question?)

Yes, you would be desirable for a personal trainer, and here is why:
1) PT's are super busy before work, some at lunch depending on location, and then after work- makes for a long day (reason #2 why I no longer do it). To come during "off hours" is a dream come true for a trainer. Trainers are often sitting around from 9-11 and from 1-4. They would love to have a client at these times
2) When a PT is with someone daily, 3-5 x week, whatever, it becomes difficult after a couple of months to really think of fresh ideas. Seeing you only once a week keeps it fresh for them (being bored is reason #1 I no longer do it)

Just FYI, chain clubs such as Gold's do not demand that PT's have a degree in Sports Medicine. High end clubs do. Sometimes, there is a trainer who is particularly talented and has educated themselves, sure, but just wanted you to know.

Old 04-11-2019, 01:27 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,363,704 times
If you are an intelligent person researching on your own is probably going to get you better results than going to a corporate gym and having their "trainers" show you what to do. I'm not saying all trainers are bad, there are of course some very good ones, but these typically 20somethings at the corporate gyms don't really have the experience needed to train someone who is much older than them.

In the end, it would probably be more cost effective for you to just get a monthly membership at Gold's. They aren't typically expensive and if you're trying to only go once per week and pay as you go, that would add up far more than a simple membership. And hey, you never know....you might find the gym experience great and want to go in far more often than once per week. Personally I could not work out at home...alone...staring at a bedroom/garage wall.

Old 04-11-2019, 01:39 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:

I'm thinking about going to my local Gold's Gym. I have no idea how to use equipment and I don't want to do the same thing the same way every week. Would I be considered a less desirable customer for one of their fitness coaches? Planning to go on off hours when it's less crowded.

I made an appointment for an intro next week.
are you looking to pay for a personal trainer? that significantly increase to cost. id imagine that isnt desirable for them but im sure it wouldnt be hard to find someone to do it.

i have done pretty much the exact same workout for the past 20 years now. i actually do like the concept of switching it up, trying new stuff and make the muscles a little more sore from something new. but i dont do it. i dont see it as necessary, just interesting and i guess i have preferred to keep it simple. it works fine enough. lifting weights is incredibly simple and so is diet. i dont like to complicate something so simple (unless someone is dealing with an injury or unique situation).

Old 04-11-2019, 02:47 PM

4,629 posts, read 4,896,472 times
You'd be one of the gym's more valuable customers. They want people to sign up and never come.

I pay $30 a month to my local YWCA to shower when I run to work. Less than $5 worth of hot water and electricity and the rest is a donation to help at-risk women
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness