U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 11:05 AM

6,183 posts, read 7,558,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
It depends on the gym. I think YMCA's create a great sense of community. Smaller studios such as Kick Boxing or Orange Theory you get to know everyone that goes.

Larger gyms like 24 hour or Lifetime, not so much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
YMCAs do. Several community fitness centers like the several I visited in Colorado last summer including some Golds seemed to bring people from different walks of life, including seniors together......it helps.

LA Fitness and Lifetime were never on the list. The hard sell pitch these places give turns me off at the get-go.

I hear good things about the Y in my area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2019, 11:12 AM

5,595 posts, read 6,762,250 times
Any gym has the potential to be a place where you make and have friends. My last gym I was at for 12 years. For the first 3 I didn't really care about anyone else. I was there to workout and then go home. But I got to thinking how ridiculous it was to see pretty much the same set of people and not talk to them. We all had one thing in common. So I started to say 'Hi' to them and introducing myself. It was the best thing I had done. I made some great friends.

Old 04-08-2019, 11:19 AM

356 posts, read 97,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Fitness community I seek: preventive medicine and healthy lifestyle focused, not pseudo spiritual, friendly, non-competitive (not Cross-Fit), social and fitness activities outside the center would be a nice plus.
That's going to take some research, IMHO, and I would pretty much rule out the big/cheap commercial chains.

If you live in a part of Mass. that's sort of progressive (like Somerville, NoHo, etc.) I bet you can just ask around some gathering places or just walk around the main drag and find some options.

Old 04-08-2019, 12:25 PM

6,183 posts, read 7,558,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maduro lonsdale View Post
That's going to take some research, IMHO, and I would pretty much rule out the big/cheap commercial chains.

If you live in a part of Mass. that's sort of progressive (like Somerville, NoHo, etc.) I bet you can just ask around some gathering places or just walk around the main drag and find some options.
Would love to have that option; however, I am in burbs outside Boston.

Old 04-08-2019, 04:00 PM

10,342 posts, read 6,808,841 times
I don't know about building community but they sure build profits for the owners

Old 04-08-2019, 04:27 PM

1,591 posts, read 728,283 times
Doesn’t any place where people who have the same interest or hobby build community?

Maybe gyms build some sort of community from people who wouldn’t have much else in common, but I don’t think it’s any different than a club, House of worship, or group.

Old 04-08-2019, 04:44 PM

1,892 posts, read 595,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Any gym has the potential to be a place where you make and have friends. My last gym I was at for 12 years. For the first 3 I didn't really care about anyone else. I was there to workout and then go home. But I got to thinking how ridiculous it was to see pretty much the same set of people and not talk to them. We all had one thing in common. So I started to say 'Hi' to them and introducing myself. It was the best thing I had done. I made some great friends.
I'm an introvert but constantly trying to engage. Not something I',
Noticed the younger folks rather be on their phones. I decided to just give a head not or smile and leave it at that.

Old 04-08-2019, 05:06 PM

3,553 posts, read 3,366,487 times
Quote:
Do fitness studios or gyms build community?
It will primarily depend on where you live and the type of gym.

From my many years of experience, the only gym that seemed to really and genuinely build a sense of community and comraderie are the Crossfit gyms. I've trained at enough Crossfit gyms (8 indpendently owned to be exact) to be absolutely certain of this. I think this is primarily due to the way Crossfit workouts are designed in a semi/pvt group format and everyone gets encouraged and motivated by each other. There really is nothing like it.

At a far distant second to Crossfit for building community is being a regular at your local gym at a consistently regular time to get to know other members there. This is something that you will have to work on to develop as you see other regulars there each day and make an effort to get to know them. You will build your sense of community that way.

Old 04-08-2019, 06:15 PM

1,892 posts, read 595,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I don't know about building community but they sure build profits for the owners
The yoga studios are becoming suspicious to me lately.

Then I read this today......

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/06/s...-training.html

Old 04-08-2019, 07:31 PM

19,207 posts, read 24,119,430 times
Quote:
Hello all. I am doing the grand tour of fitness places around where I live. I would like to get into better shape as well as find another spot to connect socially in my area if this is realistic. I am finding everything from classes where everyone hangs out and socializes before and after class to situations where people, mostly long-time members, come for the class and the class only, take off quickly the minute the class ends or they bring a friend and only speak to that friend or the instructor, not really welcoming to new people. Curious what other people' experiences have been, please share.
My personal experience? No. People come in groups or alone. They talk to the person or people they came with. Or they keep earbuds in all the time.

In a class? Same thing. People come alone, or in twos, say hello, and goodbye.

Many people just go to accomplish something, not socialize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or