Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 05:06 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,570,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Shut up

72" and 180 lbs is a fat ass
What about 71" and 200 lbs like myself? I can bike 40 miles, go a few rounds of thai boxing and deadlift 585 lbs. Nothing fat or out of shape about me. Oh, and I'm over 40 years old. Body composition is what matters. I'm not looking to gain any more muscle though. I have enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2019, 08:14 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,229,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
That may be true for a typical person but not for all. I was stuck at 166 lbs. in college. I could not add muscle. I guess I matured late. At around age 25 I started lifting heavy and have been lifting most of my life. At age 64, I weight 225 lbs and I'm much more muscular and stronger than I was at 22. Muscle atrophy only happens when you don't use those muscles.
You are honestly an anomaly. Every person I've talked to at the gym always laments about how easier lifting weights were in their younger years. Almost everyone says their peak years were in the twenties. People complain about aches and pains along with a decline in strength.

One thing I noticed is that the older a person is, the worse their range of motion gets. Full reps become three quarter reps, half reps, to even a quarter reps! I think this starts in the thirties. Better form in the twenties but my god do guys cheat at the weights, especially as the age creeps up.

What supplements do you take if any? I've seen hundreds and thousands of physiques during my decades of training and muscle atrophy happens to almost every senior unless they are on something.

Old 04-23-2019, 03:48 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
You are honestly an anomaly. Every person I've talked to at the gym always laments about how easier lifting weights were in their younger years. Almost everyone says their peak years were in the twenties. People complain about aches and pains along with a decline in strength.

One thing I noticed is that the older a person is, the worse their range of motion gets. Full reps become three quarter reps, half reps, to even a quarter reps! I think this starts in the thirties. Better form in the twenties but my god do guys cheat at the weights, especially as the age creeps up.

What supplements do you take if any? I've seen hundreds and thousands of physiques during my decades of training and muscle atrophy happens to almost every senior unless they are on something.
The only thing I have range of motion problems with is squats. My one knee has a torn meniscus and some arthritis. I keep trying to play basketball on it and it gets a little swollen. No issues with upper body. I have noticed that tying a tie has gotten to be a struggle so there is so loss of range of motion but that is the only time I notice it. I'm a firm believer in doing exercises full range of motion. With pullups, I go above the bar to where I'm looking over it, and go all the way down. With bench presses, I've started thinking about not bringing the ball all the way to my chest and not locking out on the upward portion. I've read that is not good for you but it was always the way I did it.

I take some supplements such as creatine, BCAAs, whey protein, magnesium, fish oil, etc. but I'm not fully convinced they are doing anything for me. I've taken everything that is supposed to help joints such as glucosamine, chondrotin. MSM, SAMe, krill oil, etc. but nothing seems to help.

Old 04-23-2019, 07:25 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,173,683 times
The best weight is the one you feel most comfortable with. In my case, my weight hasn't varied more than 15' from the age of 20 until my current age of 67. Strength and cardiovascular capability is certainly not what it was in my 20's but still better than the majority of 40 year olds.

Old 04-23-2019, 07:43 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,206,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
OP, your healthy weight should be your height in cm less 100 = weight in kg. Do your math. I really don't care what internet says. this is your healthy weight.

Ok, I'll do the math.
6 ft=72 inchesx2.54=182 cm - 100= 82kgx2.2= 180.4 lb.

That seems overly heavy to me. I am happy not to weigh what the formula shows for my height.

Old 04-24-2019, 07:49 AM

4,625 posts, read 4,892,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
That seems overly heavy to me. I am happy not to weigh what the formula shows for my height.
+1

When I'm 180, I'm fat.
I'm fastest at 140 lbs. I'm happy with 150 @ 72"

Old 04-24-2019, 07:58 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Strive to get in better, stronger, faster as you age................that is the exact opposite
of what your body wants to do.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:34 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
There is no perfect weight. Even for an individual. At 62 (or 22) one could have a range of healthy weights, one more desirable than the other based on goals, etc...

Old 04-25-2019, 09:40 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,658,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
There is no perfect weight. Even for an individual. At 62 (or 22) one could have a range of healthy weights, one more desirable than the other based on goals, etc...
Exactly. Ideal weight is a range based on body frame, amount of muscle, and body fat.

Old 06-09-2019, 09:32 AM

1,199 posts, read 724,794 times
I guess it varies for each person but my goal weight is to be under the 5th percentile for 15 year olds because I benchmark my diets to specific numbers. I'm much older and just want to be a "skinny little boy" for when I go into my 30s because I never got the be that growing up. That's why I am trying to stay under 500 calories a day. Moreover, it saves money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness