U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who has a similar issue?
I do 6 60.00%
I don't 4 40.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 06:30 PM

11 posts, read 5,207 times

Advertisements

Anyone dealing with the issue of being skinny fat? I want to pick the brains of people who either are or have, dealt with being skinny fat.

Are there any applications or courses that worked for you? From what I've seen, there aren't any good habit forming apps that target people that have an issue getting in enough calories. Of course, some of the bigger ones seem to kind of have it as a side option, but at least for me, those haven't really worked out well. They just feel like glorified checklists.

I've had troubles gaining weight since I started working out freshman year (about 5 years ago) I know what my issue is. It's simply a lack of calorie intake, but I don't really have the habits in place to get past the crappy feeling of being overly full ALL the time.

I know, lots of questions but I'm very curious. Feels like a fun problem to try and solve, and I think a solution could potentially help a lot of people get more progress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 06:52 PM

2,088 posts, read 863,845 times
Yes, I'm skinny fat. The only fat I have is in my belly, and it's impossible to lose it. I do cardio at home for 30 minutes 6 days a week, but my weakness is food, so I always OVEREAT more than my small body needs. When I eat until I'm satisfied, I already ate too much. I'm SURE that's why I can't lose that damn belly fat. I've been at this for 5 months now and not even a single millimeter lost. Pants still feel as tight as ever. Oh, and because I'm 40 years old.

Old 05-22-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
Yes, I'm skinny fat. The only fat I have is in my belly, and it's impossible to lose it. I do cardio at home for 30 minutes 6 days a week, but my weakness is food, so I always OVEREAT more than my small body needs. When I eat until I'm satisfied, I already ate too much. I'm SURE that's why I can't lose that damn belly fat. I've been at this for 5 months now and not even a single millimeter lost. Pants still feel as tight as ever. Oh, and because I'm 40 years old.
Thank you for being so open. I really appreciate your response.

Are there any tools you wish were available to help you? It seems like the applications and courses out there these days don't really work well. Lots of diets work negatively for people who are "skinny fat" since we tend to lose lean mass just as quickly as we lose fat weight. The only thing that's really worked for me is building habits, but those are pretty hard to keep up when you have a busy schedule.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:03 PM

2,088 posts, read 863,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCranberry View Post

Are there any tools you wish were available to help you? It seems like the applications and courses out there these days don't really work well. Lots of diets work negatively for people who are "skinny fat" since we tend to lose lean mass just as quickly as we lose fat weight. The only thing that's really worked for me is building habits, but those are pretty hard to keep up when you have a busy schedule.
Unfortunately not! It's simply MENTAL, having a strong enough will to resist eating because I'm bored or to stop eating. No book, app, or anything will help with my lack of will power.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:20 PM

2,701 posts, read 1,432,813 times
Doesn't skinny fat mean you are not actually fat, but you are kind of flabby or something, having little muscle mass? If so, I would think some kind of strength training should work, build up some muscle. But I'm not really sure what skinny fat means, to be honest.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately not! It's simply MENTAL, having a strong enough will to resist eating because I'm bored or to stop eating. No book, app, or anything will help with my lack of will power.
Exactly, it's all mental! I partly agree and partly disagree with your perspective. I do believe there are very few solutions that help, but in many cases, a lack of knowledge in regards to how to properly change your mental state can be the source of the problem. I mean, that's why things like therapy work for individuals struggling with mental illness right?

I most definitely agree that there are no tools currently available that fill this role (other than some books, but they can only do so much for you), and that's rather disappointing.

I used to think the same thing about will power up as well. Until recently, when I started surrounding myself with people I would consider to be very successful and highly motivated. What I started to notice that was that none of them had some MAGICAL WILLPOWER that I was lacking in. They just knew how to properly apply the willpower that they DID have. Kind of like investing time, you also have to invest willpower as it is a limited resource. Lucky for us, our brains like patterns so applying that willpower in the right way can take that stressful load off.

I've really only applied this principle to my working life, but its kind of crazy how much it has changed how I do things.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Doesn't skinny fat mean you are not actually fat, but you are kind of flabby or something, having little muscle mass? If so, I would think some kind of strength training should work, build up some muscle. But I'm not really sure what skinny fat means, to be honest.
From what I understand its when you are low weight but have a disproportionate amount of fat to lean mass. It's a tough spot for some, but I agree that weight training is likely part of the solution. The bigger issue seems to be mental.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:54 PM

1,762 posts, read 517,595 times
Quote:
Yes, that's the unfortunate thing about being thinner. The cupcake someone built like a linebacker could eat without it fazing them will make you gain weight. You gain three pounds and it looks like someone else's ten. You run on the treadmill and burn fewer calories than someone bigger. (You go out with friends and can't drink as much because it will put you over the legal driving limit faster, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
That is always the way I've heard it defined, yes. And not "having little muscle mass" because you're an ectomorph/hard gainer, but because you are sedentary.

Old 05-23-2019, 07:37 AM

40,380 posts, read 58,515,230 times
Quote:

Face your eating problem first. Are you anorexic? On a tight budget? What did your doctor say? See a dietician or mental health counselor. Go out with people that like to eat. There is a lot of great food to try!
Eating proper food will improve your muscle/fat ratio and make you stronger to do your exercises. What's your height/weight/age/gender?
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 05-23-2019, 09:41 AM

3,451 posts, read 10,263,535 times
Quote:
From what I understand its when you are low weight but have a disproportionate amount of fat to lean mass. It's a tough spot for some, but I agree that weight training is likely part of the solution. The bigger issue seems to be mental.
I am pretty sure skinny fat means that you are small, but flabby. Skinny, but without muscle tone, just wiggly bits. Skinny, but not fit.

Urban Dictionary says "When someone is thin and looks great in clothes, but is all flabby underneath//Some people have great figures, but in a bathing suit they are a mess- all skinny-fat- "

https://legionathletics.com/skinny-fat/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness