Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 11:15 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,528,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh_greenery View Post
I live in a typical neighborhood built in the 1960s. We have nice big yards and lots of trees. We also have a real nice park within 2 blocks of my home with a path and a large grassy area. It also has a large wooded area and a stream. Anyway, I rarely see anyone in the park. We all pay for it as part of our homeowners association fees. I was talking about the park at a block party and a large number of people who have lived in the area for years told me they had NEVER been to the park! In fact most of my neighbors never walk around at all. Why?
Well, in today's world, things get too busy for most people. That's why our nation is getting fat and more overweight than we ever have been. People just don't take the time to exercise or just go for a short walk. People are relying too much on motor vehicles than they used to. The food is getting bigger (super-sized portions) anywhere you eat at. That's why we are becoming a nation of fat people these days.

I live near a park too (about a 10-15 minute to the park) and I go there all the time. I enjoy exercise and keeping the body healthy. But other people don't like to exercise and/or just don't have a lot of time, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 07:23 PM

112 posts, read 436,472 times
I live in a walkable neighborhood right now, but I look around and see subdivisions being put up everywhere with no sidewalks. Not everyone is super busy. People would rather just sit on the couch and watch the next episode of "Deal or No Deal" or whatever stupid show is on TV rather than turn off the TV and get out and walk to that park. We are a society of lazy people who love our super-sized fries, drive our cars everywhere, and expect medical miracles to cure us when we wonder why our rates of heart disease, diabetes, and obesity are so high.

Old 04-19-2008, 02:43 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,528,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sent View Post
I live in a walkable neighborhood right now, but I look around and see subdivisions being put up everywhere with no sidewalks. Not everyone is super busy. People would rather just sit on the couch and watch the next episode of "Deal or No Deal" or whatever stupid show is on TV rather than turn off the TV and get out and walk to that park. We are a society of lazy people who love our super-sized fries, drive our cars everywhere, and expect medical miracles to cure us when we wonder why our rates of heart disease, diabetes, and obesity are so high.
I totally agree. We rely too much on motor vehicles, T.V. (the media in general), too much food, and etc. I agree...

Old 04-20-2008, 06:42 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,600,095 times
Some people are physically disabled - - - but don't look like it. No cane, no wheelchair, no dark glasses, no limp, nothing obvious. I'm Ok for short walks from car to doctor's office or car to grocery store, but once inside a store, I have to get a cart even if I am just buying a pen. That grocery cart is my secret "cane." Walk for pleasure? I would love to, if only I could. Perhaps some of your neighbors are like me and can't.

Old 04-21-2008, 04:14 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,325,859 times
Hmm.... I love to walk. It's good 'thinking' time. I walk for exercise, and then I just walk to be walking.

I think I went out walking three times yesterday, my daughter saying to me, "Mommy, you love going outside, don't you?"

I suppose I do!

Old 04-21-2008, 05:11 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,163,745 times
I applaud those who, even though they lead busy lives, don't forget to enjoy the simple pleasures of life.
One of which is just going for a walk.
Feel the air, see the sights and hear the sounds of life and the earth and it's creatures. Smell someones fresh cut grass or a back yard barbecue.
In the hustle, bustle, gadget, and disposible everything world we live in today sometimes we forget to enjoy what nature and a little excersize can do for our well being.
If you aren't physically able to go for a long walk at least sit by or outside of your door and feel the breeze or listen to the sound of a soft rain falling or watch the sun rise or set or the little kids playing or someone walking their best friend.
You don't have to stop a busy day to smell the roses. You just have to take the time to realize they are there along with many other pleasures we all to often forget to take the time to appreciate.
For those that can, a walk is a very relaxing, soothing way to wind down and a good opportunity to sort things out in our minds.
For those that can't, there are other ways to realize the comfort of just forgetting our troubles for a moment or so and enjoy what is around us. Maybe I'm an optimist, but I believe that no matter where you are you can find pleasure is just the simple things.
Even in a high profile, bustling city, there are simple things to enjoy if we just look for them.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:42 AM

55 posts, read 198,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faina00 View Post
I think people being busy, working, etc is just excuses.
My husband and I are both very very busy. My husband works 2 jobs, he is ian ER physician and an executive. I am in school working towards my law degree full time and work part time and take care of our daughter. We are extremely busy, yet we work out 6 times a week, for a minimum 1 hour a day. Rarely do we miss a day, very rarely.

We all have 24 hours in our day, 1 hour is not impossible to find. People just make excuses and have become lazy, which is sad and directly linked to the US being one of the unhealthiest and one of the fattest countries in the world.
and why do you care if they are just excuses even? So what if i make up lame reasons for why i cant walk through some park, or go ride a bike... are you suggesting its your business what people do with the free time they have?

Old 04-25-2008, 05:05 PM

513 posts, read 896,128 times
I love to walk everyday, it's my favorite form of exercise. I strongly encourage everyone to get out for atleast a half an hour a day. I don't have a park in my neighborhood but I do walk around my area or drive to a park and walk. In the winter I do the "Walk away the pounds" videos by Leslie Sansone, it's a great way to get your exercise when you are limited by your outside options.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:00 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,519,382 times
Maybe some people have a treadmill and do their walking inside?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness