U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 02:22 AM

4 posts, read 1,188 times

Advertisements

Very controversial statements. I still think that earlier people just moved more. Now we have the main communication via the Internet, in connection with this we are less likely to get together with friends and do something.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2019, 04:27 AM

20,727 posts, read 8,077,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rymizasuwu View Post
Very controversial statements. I still think that earlier people just moved more. Now we have the main communication via the Internet, in connection with this we are less likely to get together with friends and do something.
I also think that the "baby boom" was entering their 30's and 40's for the first time. They have an easier time, on average, than people entering their 60's and 70's. I was born in 1957; I should know. I still keep fit, but eight-minute miles have morphed into, at best, thirteen-minute miles. A similar-aged friend is much more upset about this than me.

Old 10-02-2019, 01:45 PM

3,220 posts, read 1,259,198 times
Understand that the point of this thread and article was to be food for thought, but I refuse to read something where the premise is just to offer another excuse not to try. I don't see the value in even putting out an article like this.

Old 10-07-2019, 08:39 PM

15,510 posts, read 4,264,587 times
I eat more now and do more exercise now than in the 1980s and am in better shape. All I did back then was ride my exercise bike five miles a day and walk to and from the office a total of a mile a day. I was much weaker.then in my upper body

Old 11-09-2019, 12:58 PM

63 posts, read 15,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm not sure I buy it. If you listen to the talk, the spokesperson for the Atlantic is only speculating. She says things like "could be...", "may be changing the way the body metabolizes..." etc. Also, some pesticides and other chemicals used in the 80's have been banned in the US. Plus, organic food has gained tremendous popularity, so many people aren't ingesting that stuff, anyway. Has there been a study comparing people on an all-organic, or mostly-organic diet to people eating conventional fruits and vegetables, to see if the consumers of organic foods are thinner?

It's easy to fling around theories, but that's all they are, is unproven theories so far. The millennials I know are as slim as 20-somethings and early 30-somethings were in the 80's. And they don't go to the gym. They don't have to; their hormones at that age manage their metabolism just fine, and they don't overeat, or gorge on sweets and other empty carbs, or eat junk food. The video seems to be peddling stereotypes of Americans eating a lot of fast food. People were doing that in the 80's too, and those people were overweight. The rest weren't.

More study needed.
I have noticed that wherever organic farming is common the women have larger breasts on a thin body. I would guess that organic foods have a greater nutrient content, less androgens, less harmful substances to a womans fertility and tend to be more satietying. If you want to lose weight while maintaining your bust size I would highly recommended eating organicc foods and drinking unpasteurised milk. That is the secret your government wont tell you so greedy plastic surgeons keep in business!!!

Old 11-09-2019, 05:07 PM

7,389 posts, read 1,990,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
It Was Easier to Be Skinny in the ’80s

Interesting article with video from The Atlantic.

https://www.theatlantic.com/video/in.../skinnier-80s/

It says you can do the same exercise and eat the same foods and weigh more now than in the '80s.
I was 110 in the 80's and I'm still 110 today. Am I an outlier ?

Old 11-09-2019, 05:51 PM

22,544 posts, read 12,905,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I was 110 in the 80's and I'm still 110 today. Am I an outlier ?

Yes, if your activity and diet are precisely what they were in the 80s. The normal human metabolism slows with age, even discounting changes in the food supply.

Old 11-09-2019, 05:59 PM

21,701 posts, read 38,101,484 times
Don’t consume any modern wheat, no high fructose corn syrup, little fast food or frozen food, and you will be the same size as before the mid 80’s.

Old 11-09-2019, 06:16 PM

32,231 posts, read 35,603,407 times
It was only easier for me because I was in my 20's and could drop a pants size just by avoiding sweets for a month.

Old 11-10-2019, 06:14 AM

7,389 posts, read 1,990,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Yes, if your activity and diet are precisely what they were in the 80s. The normal human metabolism slows with age, even discounting changes in the food supply.
It also depends on your body type. Some people have to watch what they eat regarding weight gain throughout their lives.

https://www.runnersworld.com/health-...pes-explained/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness