Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 12:38 AM

3,693 posts, read 2,412,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Don’t consume any modern wheat, no high fructose corn syrup, little fast food or frozen food, and you will be the same size as before the mid 80’s.
Indeed.

And avoid any food with flour or bleached flour in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2019, 01:15 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
The song of the young everything was easy for you old man

Old 11-11-2019, 10:36 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,590,667 times
I do beleive it's our diet here in the USA! Not healthy foods sources or choices made, from fast foods to processed, hormone, antibiotics, chemicals, GMO, etc, etc, etc! And secondary lifestyle tossed into the mix! ....We wonder why were fatter and sicker!..You become what you consume and don't move!

Old 11-11-2019, 06:55 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,576,536 times
I weighed 120 lbs. during my college days.

Fast forward decades later to the present day. After buying a new scale from Bed Bath & Beyond using my 20% coupon yesterday, I discovered to my horror that I now weigh 123 lbs.

Old 11-17-2019, 02:26 PM

346 posts, read 358,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
It Was Easier to Be Skinny in the ’80s

Interesting article with video from The Atlantic.

https://www.theatlantic.com/video/in.../skinnier-80s/

It says you can do the same exercise and eat the same foods and weigh more now than in the '80s.
I don't buy it. Back in college, 1979 to 1981 I weighed 185 lbs, two years ago I cut most sugar and non vegetable carbs. I hit a high of about 225 lbs two years ago, then started my low carb journey. My weight for the last eight months has been 185 lbs. I have no problem keeping the weight stable. My exercise routine has been the same for 35 years, so it's all diet. I do have desserts now only once a week, no big bowls of ice cream every night. I go in for a physical Tuesday, last time I was in to see my doctor was January 2018, 35 lbs higher.

Old 11-17-2019, 03:03 PM

937 posts, read 743,828 times
I can definitely see a pretty significant difference in the higher number of overweight people in this recent video of West Virginia teacher protests versus this early 80's video of people strolling around downtown Charleston, WV. WV has one of the highest obesity rates in the country now, but looking at the 80's video people generally looked for the most part to be reasonably fit and at a healthy weight.

Recent WV teacher protests....
https://youtu.be/T7KiDdI2fLY

80's Charleston, WV.....
https://youtu.be/w6zv_4_3BXs

Off topic to the weight issue, I noticed people dressed well in the second video as well!

Last edited by Chloe333; 11-17-2019 at 03:33 PM..

Old 11-17-2019, 06:42 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe333 View Post
I can definitely see a pretty significant difference in the higher number of overweight people in this recent video of West Virginia teacher protests versus this early 80's video of people strolling around downtown Charleston, WV. WV has one of the highest obesity rates in the country now, but looking at the 80's video people generally looked for the most part to be reasonably fit and at a healthy weight.

Recent WV teacher protests....
https://youtu.be/T7KiDdI2fLY

80's Charleston, WV.....
https://youtu.be/w6zv_4_3BXs

Off topic to the weight issue, I noticed people dressed well in the second video as well!
Well, 1981 video in Charleston, WV was prior to modern wheat era (mid 1980's), and high fructose corn syrup (early to mid 1990's). Lower Socioeconomic status areas were impacted severely by the modification of the food supply starting over 35 years ago. Big pharma depends on a sickly obese population to secure their profit margins. The proliferation of processed food, fast food, and frozen food (often at lower prices) compared to fresh fruit and veg created a vicious negative feedback loop that these areas have yet to recover from.

Old 11-17-2019, 10:27 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Well, 1981 video in Charleston, WV was prior to modern wheat era (mid 1980's), and high fructose corn syrup (early to mid 1990's).

Yes, there were a bunch of changes that occurred over the course of the 80s.

One big change was the frequency people take in calories over the course of the day. Prior to the 80s, most people worked in manufacturing and had no more than a water break before and after lunch. Even most people who worked in offices didn't have anything more than a water cooler in the hall.

The same was true for schools. Nothing for the kids except water before and after lunch. When they did get vending machines, they turned them off except during lunch. And absolutely no eating in class or in the halls.

No break rooms, no vending machines, no nearby Starbucks. Most people ate breakfast and got nothing but water until lunch, then nothing but water until dinner.

There were fast food restaurants, but not nearly as many and they didn't have drive-throughs. They also required cash. And they still had real food. Compared to today, fast food prior to the 80s was practically organic.

These days, people barely go 90 minutes without ingesting some kind of calories. People keep their insulin levels high all day long...which is how you get diabetes.

Old 12-07-2019, 06:18 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medo123 View Post
Hey guys, I've been hearing about this new red tea detox recipe to lose weight. Do you guys know if it really works. I'm very tempted to try it, but wanted to know if anyone has actually tried it before?
http://bitly.com/2YnEqcq

The entire concept of "detoxification" by some kind of elixir is a scam.

The body is reacting naturally to what it's consistently fed.

It will naturally react differently over time if it's consistently fed something different.

Old 12-07-2019, 09:05 AM

609 posts, read 264,995 times
The rise in obesity is NOT due only to genetics. If that were true, we would have seen the same number of obese people for centuries. The rise in obesity has dramatically risen over the past 25 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness