Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2020, 10:02 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,576,536 times

Advertisements

Bought these gloves for my pull-up bar but they are slippery. Bare hands are better. Website specifically described them as

"Rubberized grip with 3MM cushion under it alleviates pressure from weights"

"Nylon dotted technology increase gripping strength for zero-slip probability"

https://rdxsports.com/women-s-weight...ng-gym-gloves/

Can someone give me a brand for something better that will hold my hands on the bar?

I'm tired of my calluses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2020, 09:42 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,471,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peester View Post
I just saw a kiosk at the mall. Give the guy $10.00, if you can hang for 120 seconds, you win $100.00. Not allowed to do a pull-up, not allowed to let one hand down to “rest” it.
Women and kids under 12 only need to hang for 90 seconds.
I practiced at the fitness center. 66 seconds. Felt like forever.
As I recall, 30 seconds is about average.

Interlock your fingers like praying and you can hold onto the bar longer.

https://www.shutterstock.com/search/fingers+interlocked

Old 02-13-2020, 01:46 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,057,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post

Can someone give me a brand for something better that will hold my hands on the bar?

still looking a month later?

your F6 pink gloves, I dont like dots like that. I prefer a suede-y/soft leather-y palm.

I prefer a Harbinger glove like this. look at the 3rd pic for the palm detail:
https://www.amazon.com/Harbinger-Wri.../dp/B01GT2O4JA
tho I dont have the wristwrap on my gloves, and my finger-length is more like 5/8th not half. Depending on who their random Chinese manufacturer is this year, who knows what you'll get when you open the box.

For my 210lb frame, the limitation is grip/finger/forearm strength, NOT my arms, back and shoulders. My 110lbs ex-gf was like a spider monkey, she could do that $100 mall/county fair challenge, I'm sure.

When you are ready to cheat, you can go to HOOKS:
https://www.amazon.com/Harbinger-219.../dp/B00K0OQ3ZM
hooks transfer the load-bearing/weight to your wrists instead of your fingers.

The gloves + the hooks combined, are the difference btwn doing "7" pullups and "27" pullups.

Makes you consider Jesus Christ's crucifixion - nail thru the palm would tear thru flesh, but nailed below the wrist... you gonna hang there a while, Barabbas.

Old 02-13-2020, 06:19 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,576,536 times
I got ones similar to these in pink. An improvement.

I also tried wearing rubber kitchen gloves which worked!

https://www.amazon.com/DMoose-Fitnes...dDbGljaz10cnVl

Old 02-13-2020, 10:03 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,057,589 times
alright, alright.

this time next year you'll be doing pullups with a chain tied to your feets

Old 02-14-2020, 04:59 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,460,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Bought these gloves for my pull-up bar but they are slippery. Bare hands are better. Website specifically described them as
"Rubberized grip with 3MM cushion under it alleviates pressure from weights"
"Nylon dotted technology increase gripping strength for zero-slip probability"

Get lifting straps. These are made of tough cotton material that have a loop. You wrap first around your wrists and then you can use the straps to secure your hands and palms to any bar (deadlifts, lat pulldowns, pullups - NOT bench press). Technique is a little tricky at first but once you learn to use them, it is fast and easy. For pullups, I use a step bench so that I can stand at the pullup bar and wrap the straps around it. I do one hand at a time (technique again) so I don't need my other hand to assist. Flip the loose strap over the bar and then tighten with your hand (like gripping a motorcycle handle I imagine). Once you start your set, keep your legs slightly bent to avoid the step bench and do your pull ups. When done, step back on the bench, rest and repeat. There is probably some you tube video out there or google how to use lifting straps.

Old 02-14-2020, 06:30 AM

2,284 posts, read 1,584,149 times
Great exercise but if you never did them as a routine be careful. I started doing these and I am pretty fit. after a few moths, I had to see my doctor for my shoulder. The doc noticed my left shoulder had a minor partial tear. Since I stopped it's improved. It may not happen to you but something to be aware of.

Old 02-14-2020, 07:38 AM

9,394 posts, read 8,363,704 times
Pullups are great if you are a small girl and don't weigh much, but for those of us with muscle packed on it's simply too much tension on your wrists and elbows. I'll continue to do lat work in other ways, not via pullups.

Old 02-14-2020, 11:59 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Pullups are great if you are a small girl and don't weigh much, but for those of us with muscle packed on it's simply too much tension on your wrists and elbows. I'll continue to do lat work in other ways, not via pullups.

I usually do 5 sets of pullups in each upper body workout. I'm over 230 lbs., so not exactly a "small girl." I think pullups are a great exercise but they may cause some tennis or golfer's elbow issues. I have two suggestions. If you get elbow pain, do the Thera-Band Flexbar exercises. The second suggestion is to do pullups on bars where your hands are facing each other. I realize many people don't have access to bars like this, but my local Y has two different ones. I've found that exercises where your hands are facing each other are much easier on elbows and shoulders. On my last workout, I got 10 reps on my first set and at least 5 on the next four sets.

Old 02-14-2020, 12:14 PM

9,394 posts, read 8,363,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I usually do 5 sets of pullups in each upper body workout. I'm over 230 lbs., so not exactly a "small girl." I think pullups are a great exercise but they may cause some tennis or golfer's elbow issues. I have two suggestions. If you get elbow pain, do the Thera-Band Flexbar exercises. The second suggestion is to do pullups on bars where your hands are facing each other. I realize many people don't have access to bars like this, but my local Y has two different ones. I've found that exercises where your hands are facing each other are much easier on elbows and shoulders. On my last workout, I got 10 reps on my first set and at least 5 on the next four sets.
I suffered from golfer's elbow for many years and I tried those therabands 'til I was blue in the face and they did absolutely nothing for me except lose $30.

I also tried dozens of other fixes and nothing worked (including PRP where I had to fork out hundreds of dollars) until I found a video on YouTube where a chiropractor suggested doing negative arm curls, that cured mine within a week and it has never come back. I've now helped two other gents in my gym who were also suffering from it by showing them the cure.

So I'm very careful now not to put too much strain on my arms/elbows and pullups strain them more than anything, even with strict form. No thanks, I'll pass on those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness