U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2019, 03:29 PM

15,510 posts, read 4,264,587 times

Advertisements

Good article about the benefits
https://www.theepochtimes.com/why-yo...s_3096676.html

I never thought of doing pull ups as an exercise in itself. I originally bought my pull up bar to hang in my doorway so I could stretch out my back. After sitting for hours in front of the computer, it was so satisfying to feel a nice stretch and a 'crack'.

What I noticed over time was that I could hang longer and longer as my hands got stronger. I started lifting my knees up to work my abs and got better results than years of crunches on the floor hurting my neck. I noticed my shoulders and upper back getting nicely shaped as well. All these benefits without doing an official pull up! So don't feel defeated before you start.

My main complaint is the calluses on my hands. I bought some cheap polyester gloves from Amazon but they were too slippery so I was essentially hanging from my fingers.. Can anyone recommend gloves that will allow me to transfer the weight to my palms to get a solid grip?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2019, 04:49 PM

18,094 posts, read 15,412,963 times
I have no glove recommendations, but did you get weight lifting gloves? If not, get those, they will not be slippery at all. Get ones with a suede grip.

Old 10-12-2019, 06:08 PM

2,885 posts, read 916,440 times
I never thought of pull-ups as anything but an exercise in itself...

Old 10-12-2019, 06:15 PM

4,993 posts, read 2,486,954 times
pull-ups?
my grandchildren do that.
https://www.pull-ups.com/en-us/

yes...it is definitely exercise.

Old 10-12-2019, 07:13 PM

13,329 posts, read 23,374,186 times
I got tennis elbow from doing so many, so I had to cut back. Still kinda get it from time to time. Great exercise outside of that.

Old 10-12-2019, 07:23 PM

248 posts, read 177,316 times
I just saw a kiosk at the mall. Give the guy $10.00, if you can hang for 120 seconds, you win $100.00. Not allowed to do a pull-up, not allowed to let one hand down to “rest” it.
Women and kids under 12 only need to hang for 90 seconds.
I practiced at the fitness center. 66 seconds. Felt like forever.

Old 10-13-2019, 09:05 AM

6,135 posts, read 3,034,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I got tennis elbow from doing so many, so I had to cut back. Still kinda get it from time to time. Great exercise outside of that.

Palms forward or back? Chin ups are palms back, and they can be bad news for the elbows from my experience.

I don't think forward should cause that problem.

Old 10-13-2019, 09:57 AM

2,032 posts, read 622,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peester View Post
I just saw a kiosk at the mall. Give the guy $10.00, if you can hang for 120 seconds, you win $100.00. Not allowed to do a pull-up, not allowed to let one hand down to “rest” it.
Women and kids under 12 only need to hang for 90 seconds.
I practiced at the fitness center. 66 seconds. Felt like forever.
Like most "carnival games", there's always a catch, either the bar surface or diameter is non-standard, maybe the bar is not fixed and "swivels", etc.. Bottom line, even if you can do it at the gym you might not be able to win at the mall.

My buddy's dad taught him a lesson in "Never take another man's bet" when he was a kid. His dad had him sit on the floor, with his legs straight and in front of him and his feet a foot or two apart. His dad poured a cup of water on the floor between the kid's knees, and held a rag in his hand. He gave my buddy a fork, and bet him that he could wipe up the water off the floor before the kid could poke him in the hand with the fork, my buddy was all over the idea (admittedly, the family was a little "different", LOL). Anyway, his dad faked a move with the towel, grabbed the kid by the ankles, and quickly pulled his butt through the puddle, effectively "wiping it up", the kid's arms and upper body lagged his legs, and he never came close to getting the dad with the fork. Bottom line, "Never take another man's bet".

Safety note: Don't try this at home with a sharp instrument - when I was told the story, I was wondering what would have happened if the kid swung his arms around and stabbed himself in the eye. The story was funny, but seemed a little mean to me, but it had the intended effect.

Old 10-13-2019, 11:35 AM

6,311 posts, read 7,200,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Palms forward or back? Chin ups are palms back, and they can be bad news for the elbows from my experience.

I don't think forward should cause that problem.

I only do pull-ups and have had both tennis elbow and golfer's elbow from doing them. The solution is to do exercises using a Flexbar. See
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsKGbqA9aNo

Old 10-13-2019, 11:57 AM

1,425 posts, read 4,997,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post

I do pull ups and chin ups, 5 sets each time. I have noticed that the elbow position is what makes the difference. It is like doing a bench press with the wrong elbow position. Just vary the elbow angle until you find the comfortable position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness