U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2019, 02:16 PM

12,559 posts, read 9,737,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
And where do your friends finish in the marathon... Dead Last? Yeah, I suppose you could stop for a picnic if you wanted.
When you're running 50, 100, 200 miles it's more about staying healthy and finishing. They're fanatical about it- the aid stations are well stocked with munchies.

Some do pack Burro Racing- running up to 30 miles with a donkey.

Asking if they've ever run a marathon is almost an insult. Most have done a couple dozen.

The Hashers drink whiskey while they run.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2019, 03:26 PM

939 posts, read 411,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
When you're running 50, 100, 200 miles it's more about staying healthy and finishing. They're fanatical about it- the aid stations are well stocked with munchies.

Asking if they've ever run a marathon is almost an insult. Most have done a couple dozen.

When I mentioned a marathon, I was thinking of something like the Boston Marathon which is about 26 miles and takes about 2 1/2 hours for the winner, and a bit longer for everyone else. It sounds like your friends use a marathon as a good excuse for an all day party... or perhaps several days.

Anyway, back to the OP's situation. A typical workout routine for most people would be about an hour or less (usually less), and I can't think of any vigorous sport of similar length where the (serious) participants would find it necessary to stop and eat during the game or find it necessary to eat 30 or 40 minutes before the game/sport.

I think the OP would be better served to worry less about eating and think more about maxing his efforts during the workout. After his workout and a suitable cool-down time (say 60 to 90 minutes), then he could think about having a good meal. Don't eat right before a hard workout. YMMV.

Old 12-22-2019, 03:35 PM

18,380 posts, read 18,474,915 times
Depends on the person...................fruit crashes my energy-levels.

Old 12-22-2019, 03:51 PM

1,287 posts, read 557,091 times
For me? No - I can't eat prior to working out. I tend to workout fasted from the night before, and then eat a few hours afterwards.

Old 12-22-2019, 06:35 PM

Don't think ultra marathoners aren't serious. And don't try running an ultra without replenishment.

26 mile marathons are training runs for them. One lady in our group was a legacy member of the LA Marathon. She ran every one since the first one until a few years ago. She just turned 80.

Another friend has done about 25 marathons. They really count the ultras.

Many of them have done the Badwater 135.

https://www.badwater.com/event/badwater-135/

I agree that people should do what's right for them.

Old 12-22-2019, 07:37 PM

1,768 posts, read 865,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankAce View Post
Plain Fayge yogurt and fruit salad:

I'm wondering if this is too much sugar?

I'm trying to shred/lead up. So I'm watching my calories as well.
Eat the sugar to exercise, then exercise to burn off the sugar.

I'd skip both.

Old 12-23-2019, 07:31 AM

937 posts, read 391,164 times
Quote:

Love it!
(I eat 4-5 eggs 2 hours before I work out btw. Works for me.)

Old 12-23-2019, 07:37 AM

937 posts, read 391,164 times
Quote:
Don't think ultra marathoners aren't serious. And don't try running an ultra without replenishment.

26 mile marathons are training runs for them. One lady in our group was a legacy member of the LA Marathon. She ran every one since the first one until a few years ago. She just turned 80.

Another friend has done about 25 marathons. They really count the ultras.

Many of them have done the Badwater 135.

https://www.badwater.com/event/badwater-135/

I agree that people should do what's right for them.

I want to grow up to be like them. That would be seriously awesome.

Old 12-23-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
I want to grow up to be like them. That would be seriously awesome.
Come visit any time!

Old 12-23-2019, 09:46 AM

5,601 posts, read 3,895,714 times
That's an awful lot of food to eat before hitting the gym. I would feel bloated and tired after eating all of that. But I prefer to eat with minimal food in my stomach as I workout first thing in the a.m. Maybe try eating 1/4 of that first and see how you feel, then 1/3, then 1/2 and so on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness