Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2021, 11:39 AM

332 posts, read 219,915 times

Advertisements

the human body is a flesh machine that needs maintenance work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2021, 01:09 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,491,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
I walk every day. I look better, helps my mood, and love the fresh air.
Same. I go for long walks whenever I can. It’s not exactly a substitute for a full workout, but at the very least it gets the body moving.

Old 01-18-2021, 05:26 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,548,044 times
Vanity, health, and since I've been doing it so long, I now HAVE to. My body seems to need it and on days when I don't do anything, I get sleepy and tired hours before my normal bedtime.

Old 01-19-2021, 07:09 AM

857 posts, read 843,326 times
Simply because I cannot envision not being active and staying in shape. We, as humans, have been meant not to sit around for hours and eat non-stop, but rather be active. Of course, working out in the gym, running, biking, etc. also releases the endorphins and makes one feel great. Combine that with at least a decent diet and your mental health, physical well-being and general outlook on life improve tremendously.

You are also investing in your self - your own health obviously, and with some hard work the results are pretty obvious. Bottom line is that there is not a single negative to working out (smartly), unlike with some other activities we may engage in.

Old 01-19-2021, 07:35 AM

9,436 posts, read 5,197,344 times
All of the above. I'm 65 - I think we gotta keep moving to keep those joints mobile, keep the heart strong, and release those endorphins. I've pretty much been a regular exerciser all my life except in '19 when I had cancer. I'm working on bringing myself back to my preferred level of fitness.
Doesn't have to be at a gym, either, although that is my preference in really cold weather.
In the summer, I love to be out walking/hiking with the Heeler and the Husband. Riding my bike, too.

Old 01-19-2021, 10:36 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
I'm absolutely addicted to that endorphin rush I get on my late night bike rides. For some reason it's more intense for me after midnight. There is a traffic circle in our town that I like to ride around until I just can't take it anymore. If you go fast enough the tilt of the bike makes it feel like you're almost out of control. That adrenaline rush is fun as well. I can't do that during the day, only really late at night when the town is dead. After I do that I shoot off down a good street to race on and the endorphin rush starts to flow. It's like eating chocolate, only it lasts longer. I can ride for hours on that high.

Sometimes I'm out there until after 3am. When I finally come home to take a shower and relax, I feel like a million bucks.

Old 01-19-2021, 10:41 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
I hike, dance, bike, kayak, and do Zumba because it's fun.

On the days that I don't do the above (a lot has sadly been curtailed due to COVID), I walk so that I will have the stamina to do the above and to get fresh air and sunshine and out in nature.

Old 01-19-2021, 02:47 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Guilt.

At this point, it's just general health. Can't do enough physically to have any impact on muscles or weight.

Old 01-19-2021, 04:03 PM

6,091 posts, read 3,330,622 times
Exercise is so good for you, and true, some days you just don’t feel like doing a proper cardio workout. So on those days, I will just go for a walk. Just turn on some music or a podcast on your phone and go for a walk, even if you don’t feel like it.

I noticed that once I get moving after the first 15 minutes or so, I start to feel really good, my mood greatly improves, and then I want to keep going, usually always end up doing about 90 minutes or so.

I just got back from a 5 mile walk just now. The weather has been bad in South Carolina lately, but today it was wonderful, sun was shining and it was 62 degrees. No way could I let that go by without taking advantage of it.

Old 01-19-2021, 06:37 PM

6,822 posts, read 10,510,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMary100 View Post
I can get sedentary and become a couch potato and put some extra weight on. Then I feel like crap and I start having health issues. This results in me out the door, and back I go in the exercise routine again. I have lost 10 lbs and Im feeling good again. And, this is the only reason I exercise, to feel better. Feeling like crap motivates me.

So, I noticed the usual many many people out exercising and wondered why they exercise. I figured I ask on here.

I wondered how many people are motivated to exercise ( similar to me ) because they start to feel like crap and get sick? And, they know exercise makes them feel better.

So, do you exercise for the same reasons I do?
So, do you exericse because you like it?
What are your reasons?
I exercise because I feel better overall when I do it fairly regularly than when I don't. I exercise because I watch my parents age and see them really struggling with some things now resulting in much lower quality of life that maybe exercise could help prevent. And sometimes I exercise because it is fun. But I also have to fight intertia and can get pretty sedentary at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness