Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2021, 02:57 AM

15,226 posts, read 8,830,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I'm sorry, but the premise seems silly. the concept of "best practices" applies for situations very commonly in use. Your project is not at all common, and, frankly, I don't see the point, especially with a bad knee, unless you're hoping to get into Guinness.
That is probably not going to happen.

Quote:
24 hours The greatest distance walked in 24 hours is 228.930km 142 miles 440 yd by Jesse Castenda (USA) at Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA on 18-19 Sep 1976.
Farthest distance walking in 24 hours (male) _ Guinness World Records

And nobody has even attempted to break that record in the last 45 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2021, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCG8 View Post
What an awesome goal! I once walked a total of 1000 miles (Not by daily steps but by walks and hikes) over a year. And people thought I was weird, too. I would suggest powdered good quality electroyte drinks. Coconut/nut based bars. You don't necessarily need high energy food since it's walking but probably more mentally motivational food, rewards or such. Will you be listening to music/books? Where do you plan to walk? Would love to hear more about this!
1,000 miles in a year is not that uncommon. Most thru-hikers do about 2,000 - 3,000 miles in 6 - 8 months. A few do a yoyo, and hike the return trip in the same year. Which would be about 4,000 - 6,000 miles in 12 months or less.

Old 03-09-2021, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman69 View Post
OP here... I really appreciate the comments and feedback. A few things:

Why am I doing this? Well, I’ve done some personal development the last few years and I guess I am partly influenced by things I’ve seen on social media. I knew a guy from the gym 15-20 years ago that did ultrarunning and about that time I read about Dean Karnazes. I always thought a 24-hour endeavor or 100 miler was a ‘neat idea’ but never envisioned actually trying it. I’m tall and weigh 280 lbs and everyone that does these things... well, they are shorter and weigh less, and most of them don’t have a knee with minimal cartilage.
First you need to talk to your Doctor about this, and determine if it's even a good idea. As someone else said, this is a Guinness World Records type feat, even though you probably wouldn't set any records doing it. If your Doctor approves it, you would have to start extensive training for it. You would also need extra equipment. Example: extra pairs of shoes in sizes larger then what you normally wear, for when your feet start to swell up.

Old 03-09-2021, 04:53 AM

48 posts, read 96,715 times
https://stephenking.fandom.com/wiki/The_Long_Walk

Old 03-09-2021, 05:49 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,252,384 times
I had a coworker, when I worked at the University of Arizona almost 20 years ago and he got into running later in life, I think when he was in his mid-50s, but he would do those 100-mile Ultras all around the country, where you would run/walk for 24+ hours up, over, and around mountains.

He hated when people called him a marathoner, to him he was a 'trail runner'. He loved the fact that if you finished the race (he wouldn't always finish), you get a belt buckle, so he would collect those. Of course, during these races that can last maybe 40 hours continuous, he had another person or two on his support team.

One of his favorite things to do in the winter with his running buddies, was to go to the Grand Canyon, start on the South Rim, run down to the Colorado River, then up to the North Rim and then come back to the South Rim, without stopping, and this was just for fun! He told me the hardest part, besides using different muscles going down and up the mile deep canyon, was when the snow at both rims was a foot or more deep and they had to post-hole it.

In the summers, when we would hit 110F+ in Tucson, he would run 5-6 miles at noon time during our hour long lunch. I told him many times, he was crazy, but the "good crazy"!

Old 03-09-2021, 05:56 AM

48 posts, read 30,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
So true. Certainly, we all have varying limits to physical discomfort.

If I'm walking & get a blister, if I don't have a first aide kit/Bandaids with me, I want to turn around & go home. My tolerance for pain isn't that high.

Conversely, I have a friend who is 67 & still runs triathlons, plays basketball with 20-something kids twice/wk & any other sport he can manage. Only Covid curtailed races for him this past year. His car trunk is filled with baseball glove/ball/bat, soccer ball, football, frisbees & the like, just in case he passes a hoop, track or trail that seems inviting.

When he broke his elbow at the beginning of a kayak race by slipping on rocks, he wrapped it up with a bandana & finished the race. He still runs, looks about 45 & has a 6-pack & better physique than many 30-somethings.

Our limits vary. For me, when I reach my limit when exercising, I stop cuz I'm afraid of injury. (Ironic that I've been housebound & on strong pills for 2-wks, recovering from a muscle pull in my back ribs.) For some, they can push through & do another few laps, reps, miles. Their body makeup allows their limits to be pressed far further than mine.

BTW, Boss... are you intending to document any of your walk via video or pics?

So I do plan to take pics and video in the hopes that I can cobble together a video, but not sure how to do so as I’m not a video editor. But I have a feeling I will be learning a few things about editing and the creative process fairly soon.

We can build the ‘hardness’ muscle over time. I’ve seen it and experienced it. There certainly are outliers who have greater physical gifts than most people, but ‘most people’ don’t realize the greatness inside them that yearns to come out. Limits are physical; limitations are mental. Doing hard(er) things is a great way to expand our comfort zone.

Last edited by bossman69; 03-09-2021 at 06:30 AM..

Old 03-09-2021, 06:03 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,492,857 times
If you lost 100 pounds for your current 280 pound weight, people would be more impressed than your walking for 1 day. The first can change your life. The latter will require at least 6 months of training and might help you lose some weight. If you get hurt, you'll probably gain weight.

Old 03-09-2021, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
If you lost 100 pounds for your current 280 pound weight, people would be more impressed than your walking for 1 day. The first can change your life. The latter will require at least 6 months of training and might help you lose some weight. If you get hurt, you'll probably gain weight.
I don’t have 100 lbs to lose. I will be low 270s when I do this (I’m on the ‘tall’ side), I help others with their wellness, I know what I’m doing. I don’t how my body/brain will respond tho. Haha I’m most hope to minimize physical breakdown and will be mindful of maintaining consistent fluid and nutritional intake.

Old 03-09-2021, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
That's what I was thinking too. He seems to be under the impression, that he can solve all is problems in one 24 hour period, if he sets his mind to it.

Old 03-09-2021, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
That's what I was thinking too. He seems to be under the impression, that he can solve all is problems in one 24 hour period, if he sets his mind to it.
See previous reply. My weight is not one of my “problems.”

Last edited by bossman69; 03-09-2021 at 06:25 AM.. Reason: Grammar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness