Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2021, 11:18 AM

17,210 posts, read 57,041,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
You are the exception that proves the rule "You can't run away from a bad diet.". If someone has the time to run 60 miles a week, yeah, that person can eat whatever they want. Although if I assume a 10 minute mile to make the math easy, that's 600 minutes or 10 hours, or 2 hours of running 5 days a week. So it's not like you are doing nothing but eating, sleeping, and running. But 2 hours a day is a lot. I need to get out there more and you are inspiring me to do that.

I think for most people I think it's more practical to look particularly at a low-carb diet. I have been doing that for about 2 years, and it's worked well for me. The doctor who gave a lecture on low-carb, keto diet where I work is very hardcore, he's on a ketogenic diet and he monitors blood ketones with a device in his arm and his phone, sort of like the diabetic blood sugar monitors. He weighs himself daily and calculates his serving sizes based on today's weight. That's all well and good and very hard core, but I feel like he is feeding himself like a lab rat, and I would prefer not to go there.

I decided to try a "freestyle" low carb diet: no sweets at all, very little bread, rice, corn, etc. What carbs I eat, I eat at breakfast and lunch, not dinner. Dinner is mostly vegetables with some meat and maybe some cheese, maybe some nuts. Wine instead of beer. This has reduced my waistline pretty dramatically, I am about fitting into high school clothes as well.

If a guy wants to take a step in this direction, just to knock off carbs and particularly sugary stuff in the evenings, with no other change to overall diet, may indeed be the best "bang for the buck" deal.

Unless a guy is already in pretty good shape and has time to do *a lot* of aerobic stuff like running, swimming, etc. at least some dietary restriction is probably going to be part of a successful weight loss strategy, IMHO.
Looking at my passport photo from 2015, my fat face in that mug shot, yeah, I don't look like that anymore, so the "freestyle" low carb diet is working for me. Your mileage may vary. Waist size is down from 33-34 to about 31. Life is good. I don't miss the carbs enough to go backwards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2021, 08:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,451 times
Try watching this you tube video on how to analyze your carbs
[url]https://shrinke.me/0hyles[/url]

Old 05-21-2021, 07:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,281 times
Default Look at my diet results.

Satisfying TikTok Weight Loss That Are At Another Level #16
[url]https://shrinke.me/8pcQ[/url]

Old 05-22-2021, 08:25 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
You are the exception that proves the rule "You can't run away from a bad diet.". If someone has the time to run 60 miles a week, yeah, that person can eat whatever they want. Although if I assume a 10 minute mile to make the math easy, that's 600 minutes or 10 hours, or 2 hours of running 5 days a week. So it's not like you are doing nothing but eating, sleeping, and running. But 2 hours a day is a lot. I need to get out there more and you are inspiring me to do that.

I think for most people I think it's more practical to look particularly at a low-carb diet. I have been doing that for about 2 years, and it's worked well for me. The doctor who gave a lecture on low-carb, keto diet where I work is very hardcore, he's on a ketogenic diet and he monitors blood ketones with a device in his arm and his phone, sort of like the diabetic blood sugar monitors. He weighs himself daily and calculates his serving sizes based on today's weight. That's all well and good and very hard core, but I feel like he is feeding himself like a lab rat, and I would prefer not to go there.

I decided to try a "freestyle" low carb diet: no sweets at all, very little bread, rice, corn, etc. What carbs I eat, I eat at breakfast and lunch, not dinner. Dinner is mostly vegetables with some meat and maybe some cheese, maybe some nuts. Wine instead of beer. This has reduced my waistline pretty dramatically, I am about fitting into high school clothes as well.

If a guy wants to take a step in this direction, just to knock off carbs and particularly sugary stuff in the evenings, with no other change to overall diet, may indeed be the best "bang for the buck" deal.

Unless a guy is already in pretty good shape and has time to do *a lot* of aerobic stuff like running, swimming, etc. at least some dietary restriction is probably going to be part of a successful weight loss strategy, IMHO.
Do you know what your carb I take is daily?

Old 06-02-2021, 10:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
To lose weight you need to eat less and exercise more.

The "exercise more" part needs to include all the elements of physical fitness:

Anaerobic (wind sprints)
High intensity Aerobic say, 70-80% of "max heart rate"
Low intensity aerobic, so you can carry on a conversation
Maximum strength (2-4 reps and you're done)
Low intensity strength (many reps)
Flexibility
Balance

All exercise that uses your muscles and raises your heart rate also raises your metabolic rate to some extent, so the calories actually consumed during the exercise are a small fraction of the total calories offset.
Check out this link below

[url]https://f10b17x6yy509w22hgvhp07k11.hop.clickbank.net/[/url]

Old 06-03-2021, 02:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,124 times
Default Please read if looking for suitable weight loss applications

workout for someone who is looking
to lose weight and lose weight quickly?

[url]https://shrinke.me/KwLW[/url]

Old 06-06-2021, 02:28 AM

3,687 posts, read 2,408,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5 View Post
I tried to google cardio vs weights/strength training but there was no clear winner
when it comes to weight loss
That's because you're asking the wrong question.

It's diet....also called way of eating. (WOE.)

Old 06-06-2021, 03:28 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
That's because you're asking the wrong question.

It's diet....also called way of eating. (WOE.)

Exactly! Great response.

Old 06-07-2021, 02:01 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Weight loss ... so many opinions and layers

I’ll just tell you what worked for me
This spring I’ve said to myself .... this extra weight has got to go
... I researched and researched and did what’s best for me
First I recognized my bad habits to stop those ... and that was an occasional
Donut or ice cream or sugar/carbs in general

I want a low sugar low carb regimen

I implemented that ... I love meats and started planning my meals ahead -
Meats n veggies ... and berries
My body craves sugary carbs ... the more I eat the more I want
Now I’m eating very little carbs and much less hunger pangs
.. I’m lately on a sardine kick ... use to think they looked gross .. but love them now
They are cheap , don’t need refrigeration and high in protein some fats and omegas
For exercise
I started with resistance bands
And followed YouTube videos ... this is easy... and very effective
Just follow along ... then started following along with dumb bells and core exercises
I’ve learned I needed to sweat ... need to push yourself

Get yourself in a routine that works for you
.. don’t go all grandiose and head dive into
A work out schedule ... that is too intense at first ... most people that do this set themselves
Up to fail ...

Combine clean eating ( very little carbs) with basic resistance exercises first
Then increase as you go
After a short time you will start seeing improvements and this will be positive motivation
To challenge yourself more because you know it’s working

I can’t stress this enough .. it’s as much what you don’t eat .. as what you do
Their are appetite minefields everywhere... great tasting sweet stuff you need to avoid
And avoid high carbs ..

After only 3-4 weeks I’m fitting into pants I haven’t worn for a couple years
I’m feeling better too .. more energy

You also need to master your own fate ... what others do around you
Is them not you ... meaning just because others are eating high carb and sugars
Makes you feel left out or worse ... you do you ... and politely say no thank you to temptations
Good luck ... you will get what you give

Drinks lots of water .., not Diet Coke .., water

And don’t announce a low carb diet at family gatherings and on Facebook
Do it quietly ... everyone will give you advice even the smokers

Old 06-10-2021, 06:50 AM

253 posts, read 228,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5 View Post
For those of you that know more than me, which workout is the better workout for someone who is looking
to lose weight and lose weight quickly?

I tried to google cardio vs weights/strength training but there was no clear winner
when it comes to weight loss.

Just started doing some Peloton Tread bootcamps where they mix running with bodyweight or some strength training with dumbells.

Also mixed in some HIIT workouts that are 30 minutes long that kicked my butt.

As I look at my HRM for calories burned though, when I get on the treadmill, I burn more calories
so in my mind, the more calories I burn the better the workout.
Like I can burn anywhere from 400-450 calories on 45 minute run on the treadmill.
But I do a bootcamp, I'm burning 350ish calories.

Yeah yeah I know that's not how it works, but that's how I see it, LOL.

So is one better than the other?
Is it good to mix it up so you are doing both on a weekly basis?
Like others have said below, the best workout routines utilize both cardio and strength training together. One cannot replace the other, since they both have different functions, and doing only one rather than another can be a problem. For example, if you only do cardio, you will start to burn muscle along with fat, but if you only strength train, then you'll build muscle underneath your extra fat. This is why it's recommended to do both on a regular basis.

As for cardio, there are so many different types that you can do. Running, while the most common form of cardio, is a lot of people's worst nightmare, which is okay because it's not necessary to run in order to get in a cardio workout. If you prefer running though, of course you can do that. Personally, I hate running and if I forced myself to do it, I know I would take shortcuts or make excuses for not trying hard enough. I get 95% of my cardio from biking, which I love to do. Biking has always been something I did for fun, but it wasn't until not too long ago that I learned how great of a cardio workout it can be: https://www.openfit.com/calories-burned-biking

I do cardio pretty much everyday, and I do my strength training 3-5 days a week. I should definitely be doing more, but I don't want to overdo it and push myself too hard, so this works for me. I don't go to a gym, nor do I have the money to buy weights and machines for my house, so I do bodyweight exercises. Many people might have the idea that you need weights in order to strength train, but that couldn't be more incorrect. If you look online, you will find bodybuilders and fitness professionals that have never touched a weight or machine. Plus, there are almost countless bodyweight exercises that you can do: https://www.openfit.com/bodyweight-exercises-at-home

I think the best advice I can give you is that you just need to find out what works for you. Figure out a routine that you will continue to do everyday, and you'll be seeing results before you know it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness