Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 08:16 AM

621 posts, read 3,198,302 times

Advertisements

Any women tried Curves?? If so, what were your results? I know it might not be enough for the woman who is already in very good shape, but how about for a beginner? This is the closest gym to me and a coworker recommended it, but I just want to get opinions from others. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 09:16 AM

102 posts, read 337,434 times
The American Council on Exercise (ACE) did an article on Curves a few years ago. Check it out: www.acefitness.org/getfit/curves.cfm I'm sure you will find it to be beneficial. Please note the calorie burn vs. Krispy Creme Donut.

Curves is more of a social thing for many ladies. I know of a few that "workout" then go to eat. Curves got it's start from women that were to intimidated to go to a gym.

If you are serious about getting back into shape. Check out local gyms or personal trainers in your area. Many will give a free pass/consultation. I have worked in a big, busy gym with everyone from body builders to rehab clients. What I have found is that if you put in the effort you will find support to achieve your goals with trainers that are experienced. Many trainers wil do small group training, they is also more affordable. A good gym will also offer nutrition info, group fitness classes and they variety that Curves does not.

I hope this helps, good luck!

Old 05-16-2008, 10:36 AM

14 posts, read 63,126 times
I've known many ladies that did real well at Curve's. The only complaint I ever heard was that folks would get kinda chatty and throw off the effectiveness of the session. Just stay focused and do your thing. It's a wonderful place to start....go have fun

Old 05-16-2008, 12:30 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,848,252 times
I would avise not to consider Curves. As the others have said, I have heard that people who go there are not usually serious about working out and it turns out being more of a social atmosphere. Plus, they dont usually have the most up to date state of the art equipment to use and what they do have is very limited.

You would do much better by signign up with a Ballys, 24hr Fitness type of gym.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:44 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,143,823 times
I agree about Curves. I was looking into them before i signed up for a local gym.
It seems to me like a place for women to hang out, read books and talk about nutrition and how to eat. From what i saw on their website they have only so much equipment to exercise, and i don't believe exercising is their primary goal.
It wasn't good enough for me, as i was looking into burning fat/cardio/weight more then sitting around and taking about what to eat.

If this is something that you might enjoy, then sure, go ahead, i see no harm in it. At least you're trying to start somewhere, and that's a good thing!

Old 05-17-2008, 06:36 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,925,154 times
For me Curves was perfect. I wasn't serious about working out, but I did want to get out there somehow and informally exercise. We lived in a small rural neighborhood, so bike riding and walking got boring fast.

I think each Curves is a little different socially. The one I belonged to was friendly, but not overly chatty. Another facility I visited wasn't chatty at all, but yet a third I visited while on vacation was so, so chatty I didn't realize the 30 minute rotation was over.

It's possible to tone and lose weight through Curves, but someone more focussed on those things would probably benefit from the other type of gym (Bally's etc).

The reason I'm talking in the past is not because I got bored with Curves and quit - we moved and there's no Curves near my new home.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:07 AM

9,685 posts, read 14,159,348 times
I love our local Curves! It's 2 long blocks from my house, and I ride my old beach bike there, 3 x week, and sometimes 4 x.

I'm a loner....not a chatter when I go to Curves. I'm paying for the exercise factor, and am not interested in making friends there. I lost 40 lbs. in a very short time, and am now at my ideal weight. But, if I slack off and skip a week, or go only 1 x week, the lbs. start adding on again.

I have noticed some ladies go in groups of 2, 3, or 4 and talk the whole time they're on the circuit. I'm too busy working out to talk! .....except for.....hello and goodbye!

Our Curves has upgraded the machines, and they are now computerized. You scan your ID card on each machine as you go around the circuit. On each machine, there's a green and orange bar. You have to "STAY GREEN", meaning if your light turns orange, you're not working hard enough. At the end of your workout, there's a computer by the door. You scan your ID again on there, and it will show you how many calories you've burned, what areas you did well on, and what areas you need to pick up the pace on. I absolutely love it!

Old 05-20-2008, 06:15 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,925,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delly View Post
Our Curves has upgraded the machines, and they are now computerized. You scan your ID card on each machine as you go around the circuit. On each machine, there's a green and orange bar. You have to "STAY GREEN", meaning if your light turns orange, you're not working hard enough. At the end of your workout, there's a computer by the door. You scan your ID again on there, and it will show you how many calories you've burned, what areas you did well on, and what areas you need to pick up the pace on. I absolutely love it!
Dang! I'm jealous! I wish I had a Curves nearby!

Old 05-20-2008, 10:25 AM

7,394 posts, read 19,284,735 times
Curves does have mostly women that aren't serious about working out.
It works for me now because I'm between moving from one place to another and it gives me something extra to do exercise wise. I do other things though because curves is more of a warmup for me or maybe a cooldown. Better than vegging out on the couch.
For a beginner like yourself, they offer a free week. Try it out and see if it works for you but if you can, join a gym that offers classes or get a trainer for a few sessions.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:02 PM

621 posts, read 3,198,302 times
Thanks for all the advice! Seems some like it and some don't. I am a beginner, so I think I will do what the PP said and try the free week. I'm definitely way out of shape and hopefully this can get me started. I have a coworker who says the pounds come rolling off, which I love...I'm also sure this is for someone who isn't already doing a more rigorous routine. Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness