U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-02-2008, 10:22 PM

1,227 posts, read 2,910,498 times

Advertisements

Is this regarding extreme creatine use, prolonged creatine use? It's not as though our bodies don't produce it and it's not like we don't consume it in the natural foods we eat (mmm... steak). I wonder why creatine is being tied to testicular cancer.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 10:54 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,358,314 times
Yes our bodies produce it and eating meat gives it a boost. I can't eat any meat 24 hours prior to a blood test.

It is studying the effects of prolonged use, something like over 12 months whether all the time or every other day or a combination over a course of a few years.

But supplements gives way more of a boost then what we would ever eat naturally. I do not remember numbers off the top of my head so bear with me, but it was something like 20lbs of beef equaled one creatine serum recommended dosage (meaning my ATP serum I was using).

It is theorized that our bodies actually use to produce more creatine, talking stone age here, but through adaptation, diet, etc.. our bodies naturally produce less.

I am not at all proclaiming anything linking creatine to testicualr cancer is the stone hard truth and niether is Dr. Chang. But it has been coming up on the radar screen so much in his career that he and others felt it was worth looking into as a possible link may exist.

The exact link biology speaking to testicualr cancer I have no idea about and was wondering myself, I am due to speak with Dr. Chang in July and was going to ask the specifics, the biology specifics about how it relates.

I was doing it 3 days a week during my lift days over a period of about 2 years, except for vacations and deployments of course.

I am done with it all now, never again am I ever going to touch anything in that area. If I doubt it one bit, my default is I can live without it whether I am right or wrong, I just feel better.

I do supplement with protein/calore shakes after my lifting. As far as everyone has told me, including Dr. Chang, those are fine (the one I asked and showed was the N-Large 2). They even wanted me to drink it during my chemo theropy so my body could get nutrients since I could hardly eat at all, still threw the shakes up every now and then. But they were great after my chemo rounds, coming off of chemo is one of the wierdest feelings in the world and I would never wish it on my worst enemy.

Being on chem was the worst feeling of my life, nothing compares nor do i want to find out if something does. I went from an amature triathlete to not even being able to walk because the chemo wiped out my red blood cells, among all the others.

But recovery was quick, 1 month after my last treatment I was exercising and in 3 months I was even better. The limiting factor was the red blood cell growth,

Old 06-03-2008, 11:59 AM

2,132 posts, read 5,451,413 times
Hey k350 - thanks for your personal story and reflections on creatine and protein shakes. I can identify with your story more than you'll ever know, and I don't wish hardships like that upon anyone, even my enemies. There's no need to share Dr. Chang's personal contact information with me - you've sold me on the idea of laying off the creatine... before you posted responses I pretty much concluded it would be in my best interest to anyway. I hope things continue to go well for you and thank you again for your contributions to this thread.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:31 PM

723 posts, read 1,745,408 times
Default Don't use creatine if you have a genetic predisposition to gout

I work out religiously, and until a few years ago used 12 mgs. of creatine daily. I eat the right foods, don't use tobacco, or drink much alcohol. I went into my PCP with a swollen foot on crutches within 12 hours of that attack. The doc explained to me that with gout history in my family, creatine only exacerbates it by triggering the kidneys to raise uric acid levels. My foot basically felt like an inside out pin cushion. Excruciatingly painful-and I have a high tolerance for pain. I didn't suffer any crash after ceasing the use of creatine, and haven't had gout symptoms since. Just a heads-up courtesy call for those with similar genetics!

Old 06-06-2008, 05:59 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,161 posts, read 8,326,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
I like creatine and use maybe only twice per year. It can be hard on the kidneys but you need to use it wisely. There is a loading phase and a maintenance phase. If when on it you'll need to drink PLENTY of water.

I have had very good results from Muscletech's Celltech creatine formula. I had noticeable gains in strength and muscle mass when on it and is a must when bulking. If you must use it, be sure to use only the good stuff - Celltech. I highly recommend it.
We just had a guy over here - at a different base- in Iraq that was taking massive doses of creatine and was not drinking enough water. He'll be on dialysis for years while he awaits a new kidney to be available. I had mentioned to one the the doctors here that I take it....and he laid that one on me. He told me heavy creatine use destroyed his kidneys.

I take it, (NO EXPLODE) rotating off a month ...every fourth month (3 on, 1 off.). I also drink 3-4 liters of water a day, though - not including 3 -4 cups of coffee. I find it is addicting. I do miss the rush NO Explode gives me.

Here's an article you can read about Navy SEALS and creatine use.
Creatine and Military Training
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness