Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 04:28 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,266,767 times

Advertisements

I know that eating smaller meals throughout the day is best. I understand that not eating all day puts your body in "starvation" mode...

but how to break a cycle of no energy that comes from two very bad behaviors (1) not eating all day until starving and 2) not moving much)..?

I have no energy... because I don't exercise and I don't eat until I'm famished.

I sure as heck don't have the energy to come up with 6 different "small meals" a day. I can't even manage many times to come up with one good meal if it involves cooking. LOL. I hate to cook.

I know what I need to do.. just don't know how to start. I don't know what I could buy that would translate into fast and healthy things to eat. Fast/easy is the only way I think I'll do it. Otherwise it's easier to just smoke a cigarette, pour another cup of coffee, and wait until I'm starving.

So, like with other things, does "motivation follow action"? Is it a matter of just forcing yourself to start somewhere, by walking even when you are listless and eating when you arent' really hungry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 04:44 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,148,500 times
Well, i hate to cook myself. But healthy snacking through the day doesn't have to be cooked. I work 8 hr a day, i usually eat cereal or oatmeal in the morning. I have ether salad or sandwich for lunch and dinner at night, 2 or 3 meals are just snacks through the day. They're really not full meals as you think. I chew on veggies, fruits, yugurt, or anything else that's more less healthier to eat.
I used to work with a girl who ate dinner only, nothing else, i don't believe she exercised, but she was thin as a rail.
It all depend on your body, your metabolism, etc.

Old 06-08-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
Well, i hate to cook myself. But healthy snacking through the day doesn't have to be cooked. I work 8 hr a day, i usually eat cereal or oatmeal in the morning. I have ether salad or sandwich for lunch and dinner at night, 2 or 3 meals are just snacks through the day. They're really not full meals as you think. I chew on veggies, fruits, yugurt, or anything else that's more less healthier to eat.
I used to work with a girl who ate dinner only, nothing else, i don't believe she exercised, but she was thin as a rail.
It all depend on your body, your metabolism, etc.
Thx for the suggestions.

I know people like that. It's not me! LOL! I don't gain but I stay stuck at this weight when I don't eat much but don't exercise either.

I know from past experience that when I DO exercise I can get away with eating pretty much whatever... as long as I workout an hour a day at least 5x a week. I just can't seem to get motivated. I like to walk but it's hot here now so I don't wanna and driving somewhere to walk in the A/C just seems silly.

I guess I need to stock up on more quick-bite stuff.

My mom has a crazy high metabolism and is in her 60's with the figure of a 25 year old. I did NOT inherit it! She never stops moving, has nervous energy, eats 3x what I do and weighs about 120 to this day. She thinks I sit around eating all day and can't understand how it is that I DON'T.

I need to lose about 75 pounds.

Old 06-08-2008, 06:06 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,262,203 times
Can you exercise early in the AM or late when it's not so hot?
Also, maybe build up to 6 meals a day, like eat a slightly smaller meal and then have a slice of toast with peanut butter or a few slices of turkey a couple of hours later/
Me: I don't know when to stop, I'll eat everything on my plate no matter how large the portion size is.

Old 06-08-2008, 06:31 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,064,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
I'll eat everything on my plate no matter how large the portion size is.
Uhhhh, maybe you might possibly perhaps want to start out with less on your plate? I dunno, call me crazy....

Old 06-08-2008, 08:58 PM

1,240 posts, read 3,964,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
I know that eating smaller meals throughout the day is best. I understand that not eating all day puts your body in "starvation" mode...

but how to break a cycle of no energy that comes from two very bad behaviors (1) not eating all day until starving and 2) not moving much)..?
1- Eat.
2- Move.

Really, this is not rocket science.

Quote:
I have no energy... because I don't exercise and I don't eat until I'm famished.
If you insist on self-sabotage then no amount of our advice will actually help you. Start eating properly and start exercising.

Quote:
I sure as heck don't have the energy to come up with 6 different "small meals" a day.
Do you have the energy to google? There are plenty of brilliant minds that have come up with all of this. You really don't have to reinvent the wheel. Recipes here: Recipes/Kitchen Help

Want to see how easy it is?

1- Oats + fruit.
2- Protein shake.
3- Grilled chicken + veggies.
4- Salmon + brown rice.
5- Nuts.
6- Cottage cheese.
7- Eggs (take your pick of cooking styles)
8- Tuna + salsa (or low fat mayo)

etc. etc. etc.

Quote:
I can't even manage many times to come up with one good meal if it involves cooking. LOL. I hate to cook.
Do you hate carrying your 75 extra pounds more than you hate to cook? Figure out how to help yourself.

Quote:
I know what I need to do.. just don't know how to start. I don't know what I could buy that would translate into fast and healthy things to eat.
Veggies (raw), tuna, skinless chicken breast (heck, a rotisserie chicken from the better supermarkets is great, just peel off the skin), 2% milk, oats, fruit, cottage cheese, brown rice, fish, etc.

Quote:
Fast/easy is the only way I think I'll do it. Otherwise it's easier to just smoke a cigarette, pour another cup of coffee, and wait until I'm starving.
Can't help those who won't help themselves. Quick meals: Meals Matter - Healthy eating and meal planning made easier

Quote:
So, like with other things, does "motivation follow action"? Is it a matter of just forcing yourself to start somewhere, by walking even when you are listless and eating when you arent' really hungry?
Yes. Start somewhere.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:31 AM

TwiloMike:

Superiority complex anyone?

Surely you realize that about EVERY freakin' question here on CD that doesn't relate directly to the experiences of living in a certain geographical area could be easily answered via a Google search?

Likewise your snarky answers could be applied to just about every thread out there where someone is seeking support on issues that "aren't rocket science".

Have fun.. you could spend DAYS typing "Figure out how to help yourself" on almost every thread in this forum. Maybe it boosts your ego?

Whatever turns you on man.

EDITED TO ADD:

After looking at your other posts, I see you are quite capable of being normal, supportive, encouraging with equally 'dumb' questions (specifically weight loss related) elsewhere on CD... so what exactly is your issue with me?

Last edited by fierce_flawless; 06-09-2008 at 01:56 AM..

Old 06-09-2008, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Can you exercise early in the AM or late when it's not so hot?
Also, maybe build up to 6 meals a day, like eat a slightly smaller meal and then have a slice of toast with peanut butter or a few slices of turkey a couple of hours later/
Me: I don't know when to stop, I'll eat everything on my plate no matter how large the portion size is.
Thanks. I really just don't usually think in terms of little things I can eat easily that are healthy... I'm used to cooking for several people, I'm used to buying things to make "whole meals" vs. "mini meals"... it's just a "3 square" way of thinking I was raised with.

Old 06-09-2008, 02:28 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,369,877 times
I don't go with the idea to eat 5-6 small meals, even if they are only veggies or a yogurt.

The best thing, at least for me, is to eat, when your body signals you that it needs some energy. You shouldn't be going over the point where you are hungry b/c that keeps your body in waiting until it gets something and then it will save all of the things it can get and you will not lose the weight.

I know how healthy and good a good breakfast is, that it's the most important meal of the day. However, I seldom eat something bigger than a small bun with cream cheese or a yogurt.
I need a real lunch, tho. I work 7 hours a day, excl. my lunch break, and I eat something bigger than a salad or a bagel for lunch. Mostly it's something I cooked for dinner or I order something nice. I love pasta so I eat it at lunch and not in the evening b/c it's in the evening when your body cannot burn the calories you eat at night for dinner. And with a bigger lunch you can easily go a longer while without getting hungry or a new appetite again.

After lunch I normally have a small snack or wait till dinner where I only have a slice of dark sourdough bread or something like that with some cheese and some veggies. Nothing heavy or fat, at least I'm successful most of the time .

I guess it's normal this time of the year with the temperatures so high that you don't feel like moving at all. I'm glad I have a step aerobic class where I am the instructer so I get a real good workout at least once a week.

I wish you all the best in motivating yourself...

Old 06-09-2008, 05:31 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,883,459 times
You have to make yourself- thats really the only option, unless you want to stay the way you are, which obviously you're unhappy with.

You post that you're unmotivated, don't want to drive, have no energy, etc. You're defeating yourself before you even start. We all have much to do and not much time to do it. When you decide to stop thinking of why you can't and start prioritizing your health and fitting in an hour a day of exercise, you'll see its not that hard. Its like any habit, once you get into it, its like brushing your teeth, you have to do it.

And you ask where to start? I think you already know, its common sense, eat better move more. You just have to take that plunge, instead of thinking about why you can't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness