Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2023, 11:22 AM

1,555 posts, read 776,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyme609 View Post
Yes, they wont be big though. Our muscles are there whether they are big or small. They will start to metabolize though after all the fat is gone.
Goal is to retain muscle mass and not loose strength in gym.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2023, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
If you keep protein up,yes. If you were not getting enough protein then increase it you will actually increase muscles mass
Oh ok. High protein and low calories is a good combo. Increase muscle mass without protein?

Old 03-28-2023, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
They will be there, but barely visible. The OP was asking about a "decent six pack." You have to build the muscle definition. Dieting doesn't magically create defined muscles. For example, I have defined triceps. They look like a golf ball under the skin. If I stop lifting or at least doing push-ups, those defined triceps will disappear in a few months. I know because it has happened.
Did you see my training schedule?

Old 03-29-2023, 01:00 AM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
One of the biggest things you can do is believe you can and start speaking over your body. You change the DNA of your body with how you think and what you say about yourself. You've been doing it your whole life. Start living and being intentionally.

Old 03-29-2023, 07:15 AM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Area Man View Post
Did you see my training schedule?
Yes. It is not the training schedule I would recommend. Is there a reason your workout is Thursday, Saturday, Sunday? You have a lot of isolation exercises in your schedule. I had to Google what a "face pull" is. I've never seen anyone do that exercise. I would suggest adding squats and barbell or hex bar deadlifts.

I'm a lot older than you and I'm doing a lot more in each workout. My core exercises for upper body are 5 sets of bench press and 5 sets of pullups. When I'm feeling strong, I do weighted pullups. For lower body, I do 5 sets of squats and 3 sets of deadlifts with a hex bar. These exercises are not my entire workout. I also do various machines, dumbbell, and barbell exercises that vary from one workout to the next. I don't have a set schedule, but just rotate upper body and lower body. I might workout two or three consecutive days and skip two days. I try not to go more than three consecutive days without lifting.

Old 03-29-2023, 09:13 AM

4,506 posts, read 2,651,635 times
If you're 5-9 and 157 lbs and still 20% body fat, you're just plain fat.

I can tell you that "cardio 1 mile after each workout" whatever that means, ain't squat.

Just to keep the tubes clear and mitigate cardiac risk you need to be putting in at least 30 minutes aerobic exercise at least four times a week, and that's not going to strip fat off you.

Of course the only way to lose fat is to eat less than you expend. Aerobic exercise, of sustained duration (and I don't mean taking 15 minutes to walk that mile; I mean an hour at a whack) doesn't actually burn that many calories right at the time which is why self-styled gurus say it doesn't help, but what it DOES do is to raise your metabolic rate all the time. THAT is how sustained aerobic exercise, with dietary changes, is the key to weight loss (you're not overWEIGHT strictly speaking but you're way fat.)

Add four sessions a week of aerobic exercise for an hour at a time (your choice, bicycle, run, walk VERY BRISKLY) and you'll start to see a difference. If you have 20% body fat at 157 lbs you probably need to weigh something like 135 or 140. When I weighed 150 lbs (I'm about 5-9) I was gauged out at about 8% body fat.

I looked again and I see you're 45. Sorry bud but "one mile" cardio a day really ain't gonna cut it. You're well into heart attack land. What's your blood fat profile look like? Blood pressure?

Seriously, without significant added aerobic exercise you're at risk. And work up to it, don't start hammering first thing.

Old 03-29-2023, 11:09 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,148,782 times
Should be working out every other day. Or every day tageting a specific muscle group, ex, 1 Legs, 2 back, 3 chest, 4 arms. get the work in each day!. 90 minute work out, 45 minutes cardio, about 45 minutes weights. this would be a modification of your current excercises,

I did this kind of training -As for cutting up, I have done a plank variations. Also twist, reach up, and hold with a lighter weights ( like boxing), as well do reach overs and bend side ways. Finally Marching in place, tapping your knees. 45 minute workouts doing this is challenging. I did these excercises and 45 minute cardio every other day. Along with the many random pushups throughout the week. I was not going for a bulked up massive look, but more boxer/fighter/ adonis build.

Plank variations and kettle bell excercise demonstrations is somewhere to get an idea from.

Old 03-29-2023, 11:34 AM

4,935 posts, read 3,044,617 times
Quote:
Yes, been on Athlean X for years by Jeff. I follow others too. Each person has different advice.

There isn't much better advice on YT, particularly considering some here have also confirmed it.
You have to run a calorie deficit, it $ucks; you can't eat what you want.
Also, having reviewed your routine, skip the machines; and sitting in general.
The more you are on 2(or 1)feet, the more your core incorporates into movement; plus it adds some cardio benefits over sitting.

Old 03-29-2023, 12:31 PM

310 posts, read 322,896 times
Quote:
Goal is to retain muscle mass and not loose strength in gym.
Of course I never implied otherwise. How could you lose strength at the gym? That makes no sense.

Old 03-29-2023, 12:48 PM

129 posts, read 169,945 times
You should start counting calories. Figure out your macros, download a counter, and restructure your diet from there. That should be NUMERO UNO. This may save you from a lot of wondering why's. I would change your workout routine as well. 4-5 days on and break up the muscle groups into different days. Abs every day are not necessary but it really depends on body type and how it responds to exercise. Losing strength during a cut is normal. You can't expect to make gains (muscle mass) during a calorie deficit. Do what you have to do to get it done and you'll bounce back in time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness