Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 10:24 AM

473 posts, read 1,737,360 times

Advertisements

I am 35 and have been on WW and exercising 6x a week for 9 wks. I just had my monthly cycle and it was unusually lighter than I expected. Is this a normal effect of exercise. I do stairclimber 20-30 minutes 6x week and weights (home gym) for 15 minutes 3x weekly.

I have lost about 9 lbs but dropped close to 2 sizes, not 2 yet but getting there. I know inches are decreasing as my clothes are big on me and clothes that were tight are fitting great.

Any thoughts if the changes are from exercise?

Linda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 10:31 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
That hasn't been my experience, but nothing that centers around shifting female hormones surprises me. LOL

Keep up the good work!

Old 06-03-2008, 10:47 AM

473 posts, read 1,737,360 times
I hear ya. I know its probably going to be different for each woman but I thought I would ask. I am not complaining one bit. I started on Saturday and had some evil rotten cramps but they were gone after an hour or so. Come Monday I was still feeling like I should, a little achey in the back and stuff but as for the witches appearance.. it was extremely minimal if much to speak of at all. Today the same thing. I am using protection just to be safe and don't get a surprise halfway through my shift at work tonight.

I am just going to assume its a fluke for now and see how next month goes. THANKS!

L

Old 06-03-2008, 02:22 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,171,257 times
I didn't notice difference at all. As you age, it becomes lighter anyway (Yipee!!) It could be a combo of things aslo. You might want to ask your doc about it.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:20 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,491,759 times
yes i have heard and been told by my dr that a new routine does change your cycle. it can decrease it, or make it late or early...all normal

Old 06-03-2008, 07:56 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,132,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMommy2-4 View Post
I hear ya. I know its probably going to be different for each woman but I thought I would ask. I am not complaining one bit. I started on Saturday and had some evil rotten cramps but they were gone after an hour or so. Come Monday I was still feeling like I should, a little achey in the back and stuff but as for the witches appearance.. it was extremely minimal if much to speak of at all. Today the same thing. I am using protection just to be safe and don't get a surprise halfway through my shift at work tonight.

I am just going to assume its a fluke for now and see how next month goes. THANKS!

L
I had had charlie horse problem one month, a year or two ago. Later, I read that these things cause muscle damage and need a few days to heal.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:43 PM

268 posts, read 1,159,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
I had had charlie horse problem one month, a year or two ago. Later, I read that these things cause muscle damage and need a few days to heal.

Ummm....she's not talking about a charlie horse problem. She's talking about her monthly menstrual cycle.

To answer the OP's question, yes it's normal to have a lighter period when you are working out more in the beginning. It should go back to normal within a few months. Also, I have heard that some women get so lean and have so little fat, that they stop having them altogether. I've never been that thin before, and so I wouldn't know from personal experience.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:29 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,776,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alterego View Post
Also, I have heard that some women get so lean and have so little fat, that they stop having them altogether. I've never been that thin before, and so I wouldn't know from personal experience.
From what i have read ... it's in the 15% range ... but can start around the 18% range for some women.

Lose too much fat and it throws a lot of things out of whack.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:48 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,903,258 times
Hi, I am pretty thin and lean, and have a normal period and always have. I exercise 6x week for approx 60-75 min day.

I think that if you over exercise (by extremes) or are malnutritioned (very low caloric diet), that is when the period begins to stop. Otherwise no worries, at least not for most.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:04 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faina00 View Post
Hi, I am pretty thin and lean, and have a normal period and always have. I exercise 6x week for approx 60-75 min day.

I think that if you over exercise (by extremes) or are malnutritioned (very low caloric diet), that is when the period begins to stop. Otherwise no worries, at least not for most.
Me too - I barely have any fat on me but that hasn't stopped my periods.....mine can really fluctuate but then again, I'm 40.

The hardest part might be the lack of energy at the beginning of the cycle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness