Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 07:07 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,606,137 times

Advertisements

Ten reasons why I workout/lead a healthy lifestyle:

1. To stay healthy.
2. To set a good example for my kids and hope they follow it.
3. I feel better, can breathe better and have more energy, I'm not tired when I get out of bed in the morning.
4. Because I don't want to replace all my clothes.
5. Because I love pulling my wedding dress out of my closet and yes it still fits!

(I'm stealing these from you Dabeez )

6. The more I workout, it makes for better sex. I mean, much MUCH better sex.
7. I workout because I want to be around to see grandchildren someday and also want to see 100.
8. I workout because I believe my body is my temple and my vehicle. Its the only one I have so I MUST take care of it.
9. I workout because I believe that it prevents me from getting sick.
10. I workout because I know I look darn good in a bikini
11. I workout because I know I look darn good in no clothes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 11:35 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLisaVito View Post
5. Because I love pulling my wedding dress out of my closet and yes it still fits!
Thats great. My wife pulled out her wedding dress the other day and was so surprised and happy that it fit she started crying.....which in turn started my to cry as well. This all led to #6.

Old 06-15-2008, 02:58 PM

439 posts, read 1,232,567 times
I HATE running, but in the Army they love so I have to as well. If I do well on my PT tests it looks better if im trying to get promoted and thus more money.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:35 PM

29 posts, read 100,637 times
I exercise because I like to be able to do things like hiking without getting out of breath or holidng up the rest of a group. It's nice to have physical strength. And I think that being fit is the best health insurance out there. I managed to beat IBS into the ground with regular exercise as my doctor suggested.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:20 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
I don't "work out". I just work. It's a physical job and keeps me in top form.

I know, that if I need to defend myself, my body will respond appropriately.

Old 06-19-2008, 10:30 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,307,559 times
Of course health and fitness are my priorities, but survival is #1. I also like challenging my body and mind as well. If I miss a day, I go nuts.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:11 PM

471 posts, read 1,508,949 times
Great thread Dabeez...

1. it is the coolest feeling to get to stretch after a really hard workout - I love the stretch part
2. I have more energy
3. and my mind thinks better
4. it adds to my optimistic personality
5. I feel pretty and healthy
6. I can do all kinds of stuff if I need to (like run to the other side of the pool and dive right in and save my child who is not doing so very hot at the moment in his swim lessons - but getting better)
(I don't have a great deal of confidence in the lifeguard...)
7. did I say it makes me feel good??
8. and keeps me strong (I get comments of surprise on that. Look petite but am pretty strong. Still can't beat my husband in a wrestling match though...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Then I started working out because in my former line of work, my life depended on it.
Curious minds want to know... what was that former line of work K350?

Old 06-20-2008, 10:59 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
I workout for a variety of reasons, most of which have already been mentioned by other posters. When I'm being honest with myself, my #1 reason is ego gratification.

I've been working out for 45 years. I went out for the 9th grade football team, only to discover that I hated organized football. I caught alot of flak from the big jocks when I quit the team. With an I'll show you attitude, I started lifting weights with an older kid 2 doors down the street. By the time my senior year rolled around, no one was giving me flak anymore. Although I wasn't a big kid or even close to being a big kid, I was known to be one of the strongest, fittest kids in the school so no one messed with me.

The ironic thing is, most of the jocks who gave me flak when I quit THE TEAM, experienced their greatest physical activity years in High School. Today, 45 years later, most of them are fat old men with beer bellies, while I'm out hiking the trails of western Colorado for an hour or two every day, AFTER my workout at the gym. I drink my beer just like they do, but it doesn't end up on my gut.

During air force basic training, my superior conditioning was almost immediately recognized which propelled me into leadership positions without seeking them out. ( I actually got somewhat out of shape during basic training becasue I worked out much harder on my own )

Working out and being fit has greatly enhanced the quality off my life. It seems to open up doors and makes life easier in general.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 06-20-2008 at 11:15 AM..

Old 06-20-2008, 01:44 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,530,712 times
I workout and have healthier lifestyle because:

1. It makes me feel great (all that good oxygen going through every part of my body).

2. Makes my clothes fit better on me.

3. Gives me that rosy/tanned look on my face (I don't have to wear hardly any makeup or very little makeup).

4. Makes me feel good wearing a swimsuit (a swimsuit looks great on a body that does exercise at least 3 times a week).

5. Sometimes the stares I get from people (most are good and I get complimented on it sometimes. And of course the bad looks, but it's probably jealousy. Who knows and I don't care).

6. Keeps me active/energized all day long (it helps me to clean the house better too and I can clean every single room in one day).

7. Keeps me looking young (as long as I can. I do get mistaken to be younger. I have had people come up to me and ask me if I was 21-22!! I wished!! I'm 32).

8. It's a meditation thing for me (it clears my mind and helps to think better).

9. A spiritual retreat with God (I pray before a jog or a walk and He's with me at all times).

10. Helps me have a better relationship with my husband (he loves it when I work out. Because he knows it will be a good day for me. I feel grouchy or moody when I don't workout...ARRRGGGGHHHH!!).

Old 06-20-2008, 01:49 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,530,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonredsock5 View Post
I HATE running, but in the Army they love so I have to as well. If I do well on my PT tests it looks better if im trying to get promoted and thus more money.
When you get used to it, you don't ever want to stop running.

I love running. I've done it since junior high. It was hard for me at first too, but when I did it all the time (at least 4 times a week), it became a habit.

So, just hang in there and you'll like it soon. It's also the quickest way to lose 5 lbs. in a week (if you also cut down a lot of things on your diet as well).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness