U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-09-2008, 12:17 AM
 
Location: SoCal - Sherman Oaks & Woodland Hills
12,975 posts, read 32,015,915 times
Reputation: 10491

Advertisements

Had a pretty bad ankle sprain thats been keeping off my feet for the past month. Havent been keeping up with my workouts and have been cheating a bit on my meals. Its now back to the regular routine especially because I can now barely touch my toes while keeping my legs straight and this is not good.

Ten reasons why I workout/lead a healthy lifestyle:

1. I workout because I enjoy it.
2. The more I workout, it makes for better sex. I mean, much MUCH better sex.
3. I workout because I want to be around to see grandchildren someday and also want to see 100.
4. I workout because I teach the martial arts and must maintain my skill level always.
5. I workout and lead a healthy lifestyle because it sets a good example for the soon-to-be 13 year old.
6. I workout because I believe my body is my temple and my vehicle. Its the only one I have so I MUST take care of it.
7. I workout because I believe that it prevents me from getting sick. Daily taiji and qigong practice is the cause of my not getting sick in YEARS.
8. I workout because I know I look darn good in designer clothes.
9. I workout because I know I look darn good in no clothes.
10. I lead a healthy lifestyle because my wife challenges me daily to do so.

Last edited by LaoTzuMindFu; 06-09-2008 at 12:28 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-09-2008, 08:01 AM
 
3,859 posts, read 9,812,831 times
Reputation: 2734
I workout for many of the reasons that you do. I have always taken good care of myself. I had to have a few surgeries in 06-07 and was unable to workout like I normally do. I put on about 10 pounds and did not have the tone I normally do. I felt awful and was unhappy about the way I looked. I just did not feel my best as I was not working out and eating right. Luckily I have recovered from the fatigue of the surgeries and lost those 10 pounds. I am kind of glad I went through that because it made me realize how important fitness is to me. I just don't feel the same when I am not working out and eating right.

I workout because it is a great stress reliever-if I miss even one day I can notice it in my mood and how I deal with life. I have gone through some real stressful times lately and find I deal much much better when I am working out consistently.

I workout because I want to look good for myself and my husband. My husband and I both want to look good for one another. I feel that I should do my best to look good for him and he for me. If he is physically able to workout he should and so should I. I feel too many people let themselves go and blame it on being too busy. I personally believe everyone has the time to exercise and eat right-it is just a matter of how high of a priority you make that in your life. It is easier to be lazy and say you have no time- I know I have fallen into that trap at times myself. However I do find that no matter how busy I am-when I am working out consistently- I am much more organized and have much more quality of time.

Nicolem
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2008, 08:14 AM
 
Location: South Charlotte
1,435 posts, read 5,475,107 times
Reputation: 486
Many of the same reasons above as you two have posted.

Also I like to pick up heavy stuff, its fun
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2008, 06:48 PM
 
Location: Laguna Hills, CA
172 posts, read 742,131 times
Reputation: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Had a pretty bad ankle sprain thats been keeping off my feet for the past month. Havent been keeping up with my workouts and have been cheating a bit on my meals. Its now back to the regular routine especially because I can now barely touch my toes while keeping my legs straight and this is not good.

Ten reasons why I workout/lead a healthy lifestyle:

1. I workout because I enjoy it.
2. The more I workout, it makes for better sex. I mean, much MUCH better sex.
3. I workout because I want to be around to see grandchildren someday and also want to see 100.
4. I workout because I teach the martial arts and must maintain my skill level always.
5. I workout and lead a healthy lifestyle because it sets a good example for the soon-to-be 13 year old.
6. I workout because I believe my body is my temple and my vehicle. Its the only one I have so I MUST take care of it.
7. I workout because I believe that it prevents me from getting sick. Daily taiji and qigong practice is the cause of my not getting sick in YEARS.
8. I workout because I know I look darn good in designer clothes.
9. I workout because I know I look darn good in no clothes.
10. I lead a healthy lifestyle because my wife challenges me daily to do so.
What motivates me is how overweight I used to be. I was a borderline diabetic with high blood pressure. I never felt well and could not participate in anything physical for long periods of time. I also got sick of people telling me I had a "pretty face" and it was a shame I was so heavy. After some major health scares I decided to change and began exercising and totally changed my diet. It was hard but worth it.

Now I can play tennis, golf, scuba dive, ride horses, run, etc without becoming physically exhausted within the first 15 minutes.

I am not just limited to shopping in plus sized stores. I can wear anything and look good in it, especially designer clothing.

My boyfriend is a bodybuilder, so we workout together and motivate each other. My family saw how much weight I lost and now they workout daily.

Becoming fit changed my life for the better. I am motivated to stay this way and never go back to the old me.

You are so right about number 2 on your list.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2008, 10:14 PM
 
Location: CNJ/NYC
1,240 posts, read 3,827,260 times
Reputation: 428
I'm motivated by my former self: a walking stick figure. I love that I've put on a good deal of good weight and I turn heads and look great naked. Yes, vanity is very much a part of why I workout.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-09-2008, 11:26 PM
 
Location: SoCal - Sherman Oaks & Woodland Hills
12,975 posts, read 32,015,915 times
Reputation: 10491
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post
I'm motivated by my former self: a walking stick figure. I love that I've put on a good deal of good weight and I turn heads and look great naked. Yes, vanity is very much a part of why I workout.
You and I are very much alike. Ive been a skinny guy most of my life as well. Now, well...............Im in pretty darn good shape.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2008, 06:15 AM
 
Location: NW Georgia
621 posts, read 3,073,931 times
Reputation: 390
Have you all always enjoyed working out?? For me, I have to make myself go. I still haven't gotten to the "I love to workout" phase. Maybe I never will. I'm just curious if you all had always loved fitness or once you got into it, then you started and to love it? I do know the people who's parents exercised and had them do it as a child seem to always continue it through life, so I congragulate those who teach their children that. I wish my parents would have instilled that into me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2008, 07:16 AM
 
Location: CNJ/NYC
1,240 posts, read 3,827,260 times
Reputation: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
You and I are very much alike. Ive been a skinny guy most of my life as well. Now, well...............Im in pretty darn good shape.
Heh... yeah. How tall are you? At the end of high school I was 6'3" and 148lbs. I think that that's worthy running away from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjack View Post
Have you all always enjoyed working out?? For me, I have to make myself go. I still haven't gotten to the "I love to workout" phase. Maybe I never will. I'm just curious if you all had always loved fitness or once you got into it, then you started and to love it? I do know the people who's parents exercised and had them do it as a child seem to always continue it through life, so I congragulate those who teach their children that. I wish my parents would have instilled that into me.
As a kid I couldn't stand sport activities. The interest didn't peak until I was in high school and realized I didn't look the way I wanted to look.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2008, 09:27 AM
 
Location: SoCal - Sherman Oaks & Woodland Hills
12,975 posts, read 32,015,915 times
Reputation: 10491
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post
Heh... yeah. How tall are you? At the end of high school I was 6'3" and 148lbs. I think that that's worthy running away from.
In high school I was like 5'10" and 140lbs fully dressed with keys and rocks in my pocket. I was pretty popular with the ladies but most of my friends were 6'4' 200lbs, 6'6" 230lbs, and 5'9" 180lbs so I was always the skinny guy. I hated it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2008, 09:43 AM
 
Location: SoCal - Sherman Oaks & Woodland Hills
12,975 posts, read 32,015,915 times
Reputation: 10491
Quote:
Originally Posted by msjack View Post
Have you all always enjoyed working out?? For me, I have to make myself go. I still haven't gotten to the "I love to workout" phase. Maybe I never will. I'm just curious if you all had always loved fitness or once you got into it, then you started and to love it? I do know the people who's parents exercised and had them do it as a child seem to always continue it through life, so I congragulate those who teach their children that. I wish my parents would have instilled that into me.
Ive always loved being active/working out. As far back as I can remember Ive been that way. At 5 or 6 years old I would play "strongest man in the world" in my backyard by lifting heavy rocks over my head. I would workout to the very old reruns of the Jack LaLane show on tv, when watching boxing on tv I would get up and throw punches for each round of the fight, would get up early with my dad and play catch with the football in the backyard - I was only like 6 years old at the time. I would do pullups on tree branches, practice jumping over stuff, we'd play football all day, play track and field, compete with my younger brother to see who could do the most situps/pushups in a minute. This activity started from when I was 5-6 years old.

My parents were never really into fitness but they were always in good shape. We never had any fat people in our family (no uncles, aunts, cousins, etc.) so I was lucky to have somewhat good genes. My mom would ride bicycles and roller blade/skate with us and my dad would just play catch with the football and sometimes lift weights.

Last edited by LaoTzuMindFu; 06-10-2008 at 11:08 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top