U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 01:02 PM

197 posts, read 721,935 times

Advertisements

You all heard about the rumors regarding John Wayne having 20lbs. of rotting meat in his colon when he died. I don't think I'm buying the whole red meat rotting in the stomach myth. I mean as long as you down enough fiber, like some greens or brown rice, you should be alright. Plus I hear red meat has a lot of vital nutrients not found in other foods, specifically iron and B-Vitamins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 01:41 PM

2,955 posts, read 6,628,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam23 View Post
I mean as long as you down enough fiber, like some greens or brown rice, you should be alright.
...and if you don't?

Old 06-13-2008, 01:56 PM

3,861 posts, read 7,416,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
...and if you don't?
It will eventually come out, albeit more painfully.

Old 06-14-2008, 07:49 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,336,538 times
Quote:
You all heard about the rumors regarding John Wayne having 20lbs. of rotting meat in his colon when he died. I don't think I'm buying the whole red meat rotting in the stomach myth. I mean as long as you down enough fiber, like some greens or brown rice, you should be alright. Plus I hear red meat has a lot of vital nutrients not found in other foods, specifically iron and B-Vitamins.
These claims are made by the fly-by-night infomercial doctors trying to get people to buy their cleansing products.

If anyone, even the Duke, were to have even a single pound of undigested meat stuck in their colon, they would be undergoing emergency surgery.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:10 PM

578 posts, read 2,306,765 times
Thumbs down Nonsense and Malarky

All you have to do is ask an M.D. that does Autopsies (Anatomic Pathologist). I used to do Medical Transcription, and my bosses, that signed these 7ppg. autopsy reports laughed at my query when I asked them about the Info-mercial claim. They NEVER found red meat in the intestines, clogged, or lodged, or rotting there NEVER. The only meat found was (what the patient had eaten that day) a few hours before their untimely death!
What rubbish, and what idiot would believe that?

Old 06-14-2008, 08:12 PM

3,413 posts, read 6,314,290 times
It's just another urban legend.

Old 06-15-2008, 10:52 AM

4,268 posts, read 13,712,106 times
I never heard this but it sounds ridiculous!! Once food gets to your stomache, it's getting broken down so by the time food gets to your colon, it won't like a cake or carrot, chicken or steak. I'm no doctor but I can't be totally off can I?! How is it even possible that type of situation can happen?!

Old 06-16-2008, 04:07 PM

578 posts, read 2,306,765 times
Definitely, just another urban legend and I believe it was started and perpetuated by the Colon Blow type of folks that advertise in the middle of the night on those irritating commercials, just to sell their bran-products. Just eat a bowl of Grape Nuts if you wanna see some action in that digestive-blockage area. You will be running like prune juice express!

Old 06-18-2008, 08:33 AM

1 posts, read 12,388 times
This is definately an urban myth.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:19 AM

34,532 posts, read 42,708,506 times
Quote:
OK, I'll try to put this delicately..Before you have a colonoscopy you are required to "cleanse" your colon with certain products the day before. If you have ever done this, you become acquainted with the workings of your digestive system (Oh, Hi broccoli I had yesterday). If you've seen photos on TV of a colonoscopy, you know that after one day of cleansing, your colon is squeeky clean, so those stories about stuff built up are ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness